Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Teen mom who shot and killed intruder will not be charged

Posted by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 6:56 PM
  • 13 Replies

Quote:

"A teenage mother in Oklahoma who asked a 911 operator for permission to shoot an intruder, before killing him with a 12-gauge shotgun blast, will not be charged.

Sarah McKinley, 18, clutched her infant with one hand and a shotgun in the other as she hid in her mobile home on New Year's Eve.

Her husband had died from lung cancer on Christmas Day. Police say two men targeted her home because they believed she would have her husband's prescription medication.

When McKinley heard someone trying to break into her home, she called 911 and asked: "Is it OK to shoot him if he comes in this door?"

In an audio tape released to media, the dispatcher can be heard responding: "Well, you have to do whatever you can to protect yourself. I can't tell you that you can do that, but you have to do what you have to do to protect your baby."

She opened fire and killed 24-year-old Justin Martin, who was armed with a knife."

Quote:

"
First, she pushed a couch in front of the front door. 

Then, she grabbed her son and 'walked over and got the 12-gauge, went in the bedroom and got the pistol and put the bottle in his mouth and then I called 911,'
.....The 911 conversation lasted for 21 minutes. Then the door gave in. 

'I waited till he got in the door.  They said I couldn't shoot him until he was inside the house.  So I waited until he got in the door and then I shot him,' McKinley told KFOR. "

Good for her! I would have done the same exact thing. They're breaking into my home, armed and I'm alone with my child? Hell yeah I'll do whatever it takes to protect her!

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories/20120105/mom-kills-intruder-after-911-says-do-what-you-have-to-do-120105/

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/01/04/9948522-911-to-teen-mom-who-killed-intruder-protect-your-baby?lite

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 6:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Radarma
by "OneDar" on Jun. 18, 2012 at 6:58 PM

GOOD.

Aamy
by Silver Member on Jun. 18, 2012 at 6:58 PM
Good for her. It was self defense.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eastcoastmama11
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 7:06 PM
Good! She shouldn't be charged. I'm sure she was very scared, but the way she handled it was very brave. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Addison12
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 7:07 PM

she shouldn't get charged

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Jun. 18, 2012 at 7:08 PM
Good
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
piratepixie
by Member on Jun. 18, 2012 at 7:13 PM
A shot gun can be hard to handle lead alone when holding a baby, I am glad she won't be charged. Where the was the cops, just how long did it take for them to get to her? That's my question, you would think a young woman and child trapped in a house where there are armed men seeking to do harm would be one of the things that get there asses over there in a hurry!
grandmab125
by Gold Member on Jun. 18, 2012 at 7:17 PM

I remember when I heard about this on the news.  So glad she wasn't charged.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jun. 18, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Good news. 

Ms.Charlie
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 7:26 PM
Glad she won't be charged.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shannonnigans
by Platinum Member on Jun. 18, 2012 at 7:33 PM
I liked everything about this story. She was not some trigger happy loon itching to blow somebody away, it was a real threat, not justvto property but herself and her child , she called 911 and followed their instructions, and it was a last resort. I don't think I'll ever find killing someone a positive thing , and I hope I never do, but I know when it's a justified thing. No issues as far as I'm concerned
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN