Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

PIOG--S/O Dress code for flying...why can pets be on the plane?

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 12:16 PM
  • 44 Replies

DH is horribly allergic to cats.  Horribly.  

Not infrequently, we wind up on flights with cats.  If the cat is anywhere near us, we have to ask to be moved and only *sometimes* will they wind up moving us.  If we are near the cat, DH is feeling pretty horrible by the end of the flight. 

Why is it ok to bring small pets (cats/dogs) on actual flights?  If they can't serve peanuts anymore b/c of allergies...why aren't allergies to cats and dogs considered?  

A friend's daughter has intense asthma and will break out in hives and have severe difficulty breathing when close to various dogs.  

I just don't get how it's okay to bring those things on board (and don't get me wrong, I love cats and dogs) with the various health issues they can cause. 

Why do airlines appear to care more about dress code than the cat/dog situation?  

by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 12:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tanya93
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 12:22 PM
6 moms liked this

I think they should be able to do both.

Personally, I am for having child free and pet free and family friendly and pet friendly flights.

Sometimes, I just don't want to hear your screaming children for 4 hours.

illegallyblonde
by Lawyerupbeeches on Jun. 19, 2012 at 12:51 PM
3 moms liked this
Why do I have to sit next next to people who stink or people who wear too much perfume or people who ooze into my seat or people who talk to much, or people who have big boobs hanging out?

It's all part of flying I guess. The torture is tolerable with an iPod and a cocktail. They are still serving peanuts on some flights.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 1:29 PM

I'm liking Tanya's idea to take care of it all.  Have some pet free flights and some child free flights.  That way, for those whom it is important to not have pets or kids on the flight, they can make their appropriate arrangements.  That would seem like the best decision the airlines could make.

I have to admit though, I don't get why people bring their pets on the plane in the first place.  I've had dogs and cats, throughout most all of my life.  I've never thought to bring them on the plane or really on vacation with me at all.  I've always either boarded them with my vet, or paid someone to come to the house and take care of them.  Currently we have an arrangement with the teenage girl next door.  It's easy for her because she just has to walk literally one house over a few times a day.  It's better for Sandy (our dog) because she gets to stay home in her familiar environment and play with someone new (the teenage girl).  I really don't get taking cats on a plane.  All the cats I've owned, it was a chore just driving them a few miles to the vet.  They HATED traveling.  I can't imagine what they would've been like on a plane.  They were absolutely happiest having the whole house to themselves while we were gone as long as someone came and gave them food and water and cleaned their box.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jun. 19, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Wow! They allow pets on actual flights? I thought they went below in cariers? Who knew?

If they are going to be accomodating to peanut allergies, it seems they can arrange their passengers away from each other if one has an allergy. 

fairyjester
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 2:28 PM

I don't see why the let people wear perfume on flight or in public places.  If i am near anyone wear perfume i have difficulty breathing

Tanya93
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 2:29 PM
2 moms liked this

Then find places that don't allow it.   I am good with a business not allowing.   I simply would choose to take my business and money somewhere that will allow me to wear perfume.

Quoting fairyjester:

I don't see why the let people wear perfume on flight or in public places.  If i am near anyone wear perfume i have difficulty breathing

fairyjester
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 2:31 PM
1 mom liked this

just saying you can't control the world,  people cannot expect  others not to be allowed to take their small pets on a plane the same as i an't expect the world to outlaw perfume

Quoting Tanya93:

Then find places that don't allow it.   I am good with a business not allowing.   I simply would choose to take my business and money somewhere that will allow me to wear perfume.

Quoting fairyjester:

"oh look they ate a baby,  how rude"---  Monroe

Tanya93
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 2:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Businesses should be able to control what happens in their business.

Quoting fairyjester:

just saying you can't control the world,  people cannot expect  others not to be allowed to take their small pets on a plane the same as i an't expect the world to outlaw perfume

Quoting Tanya93:

Quoting fairyjester:

fairyjester
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 2:37 PM

this is true , but certain things are hard to control and still stay in buisness.

Quoting Tanya93:

Quoting fairyjester:

Quoting Tanya93:

Quoting fairyjester:

"oh look they ate a baby,  how rude"---  Monroe

Tanya93
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Then those are the hard choices you have to make.

It is why kid free restaurants are actually growing in popularity

Quoting fairyjester:

this is true , but certain things are hard to control and still stay in buisness.

Quoting Tanya93:

Quoting fairyjester:

Quoting Tanya93:

Quoting fairyjester:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)