Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Poll

Question: Do you think home schooling parents are taking the easy way out?

Options:

YES!!!

No!!

Maybe ( please explain your answer)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 192

View Results

I was recently told that homeschooling parents are lazy and just dont want to have to get up and get their kids ready LOL wow you have no damn clue. I have homeschooled for several years, yes we may sleep later then some but frankly i think its easier to send a kid off to school, I have 4 kids 2 went to public schools, 2 went to charter and later were homeschooled. I have to BUY all the supplies and prepare the lesson plans, spend hours taking the kids to educational places and trying to teach them constantly. It is utterly ridiclus that someone would think homeschooling is easy. I am also a single parent so homeschooling is harder because after im done with the lessons for the day i get to go work a job. Yes, i do choose this but i also feel this is what's best for my children. Also, if i made any errors in this post get over it because we are all human and everyone makes mistakes.

by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 8:03 PM
Replies (31-40):
LadyBugMom09
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 8:44 PM
No
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tanya93
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 8:44 PM

I think most homeschoolers are doing what they think is best for their kids.   I have noticed that when homeschoolers show up in HS, they are really good in English and terrible in math and science.

My personal favorite is the mom who decided to homeschool her son because the school wouldn't provide transportation to AEP.   He threatened a girl and attacked another telling he would rape her to make pretty little mixed babies.  They informed her that transportation would not be provided and that he would no longer be able to play sports.

So she decided to homeschool.

18 months later he was in juvie

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 8:45 PM
1 mom liked this

have you homeschooled? 

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

This reminds me of "which is harder sah or working" debate. It is different for everyone. I do not think homeschooling is hard. Neither is sah/woh. I think if you made the choice than you decided it was doable. 

Sorry but this sounds like the usual "I have it hardest" so pat me on the back topics.

ETA: This is a general response - not directed at the OP

TCgirlatheart
by TC on Jun. 19, 2012 at 8:46 PM

It's a classic! ;)   I do know that many, if not most, homeschooling parents work much harder at the homeschooling than she did.  

Quoting wubbunny420:

Lived in a TREE! I missed that episode LOL

Quoting TCgirlatheart:

Yep, this, and those homeschoolers that are like that mom, who lived in a tree, from Wife Swap.  

Quoting katy_kay08:

If its done well, of course not. I've read women talk about "homeschooling" but they don't actually participate and instead their kid plugs into online lessons and does it completely without parental involvement. I do think these few cases are the exception though and in general homeschooling parents work very hard to educate their children.

~ I am in love with a boy, Manufactured to destroy, I shall unravel my love,Like an old red woolen glove, I can do anything I want to, I can do anything I want anything my heart tells me to do~

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 8:47 PM
2 moms liked this

blanket statements about homeschooling, about public schools, about private schools, are moronic. for that matter, my experience with public schools suggests that you can't even generalize about a single school.  

outstandingLove
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 8:48 PM

I think some are lazy.

I've homeschooled too, and plan on doing it again this year.

I live in california where testing and such are not required. I have seen very bright kids who are homeschooled who simply don't have an education because their parents don't school them. Some use unschooling as a mask to hide behind (i have nothing against unschooling, but IMO that takes even MORE work and i believe there are plenty who don't actually do it they way it was meant to be done).

However, the majority of homeschooling families i have met work hard. The kids are learning all day long, the mom (usually, although sometimes it's the dad) is making sure the lessons are educational at meets the needs of the child. Having more than one child with special needs puts a twist on it too and i've seen plenty of them step up to the plate and go above and beyond.

lga1965
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 8:49 PM

No, it is really difficult and time consuming,something I could never do.We had kids a long time ago and we were perfectly happy with their schooling wherever we lived and we  moved a lot, so I never even thought about homeschooling or heard of it. The best experience for them was when they attended USAF Dependent schools in Germany and had chances to go on some exciting daytrips and meet kids from all over .Teachers and the curriculum were always just fine wherever we lived.

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 8:49 PM

No. But, if you choose it....don't bellyache about how "hard" it is. Hopefully, you have researched and decided it would work for your family.  So, no, I do not think it is any harder than other ways of schooling your children. Or any parenting jobs we choose.  I choose to sah when my kids were younger. It worked, my choice, I never complain about how "hard" I have it.  When I chose to go back to work, my choice" I never complain about how "hard" I have it compared to sah. I do not need to homeschool to know that if you CHOSE it - you wanted it.

Quoting autodidact:

have you homeschooled? 

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

This reminds me of "which is harder sah or working" debate. It is different for everyone. I do not think homeschooling is hard. Neither is sah/woh. I think if you made the choice than you decided it was doable. 

Sorry but this sounds like the usual "I have it hardest" so pat me on the back topics.

ETA: This is a general response - not directed at the OP

pce68
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 8:51 PM

I homeschooled my dd for a couple of years and it was definitely not the lazy way out. I had to be involved in every step of her education, from planning to supervising. Putting a child on the bus and letting the teacher at school be responsible for their education is much easier. I also have several friends who homeschool, so from their experience and my own, I would like to address some of these issues.

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

I think home-schooling is extremely difficult. I voted No- it's not the easy way out. HOWVER with that being said- I see very many issues against home schooling.

1- lack of diversity/socialization. home schoolong is isolated and isolating- unless done very, very well. Most homeschoolers that I know are involved in outside activities, such as church, dance, sports, and/or a homeschooling group, so they are exposed to many other children and adults.

2- lacks structure . Structure is beneficial for actually learning how to live/produce/interact with the world at large. Most people that i have met that homeschool do have structure to their day. However, I believe that even unschooling can be very effective, if the parent is vigilant and dedicated. Also, one benefit of homeschooling is that children learn to be self-motivated and college admissions officer usually find that to be a big advantage over public and private schooled children.

3- lacks regulation. No one is regulating (necessarily) what is being taught to the child ; will the home schooled child have the same level of education. in theory it is typcially better being home schooled but again- no regulation how does one know? While I do believe that some regulation is necessary, I would not want the government to step in and tell homeschooled parents exactly what they are required to teach their children. One of the best things about homeschooling is allowing children to learn at their own pace, whether that is slower or more accelerated. Also, many parents like to use religious materials as part of their lessons, and if the government got involved too much, this might be outlawed, just like it is in public school. Most states do have regulations about homeschooling. Some are very strict and actually have teachers come to homeschooled homes and check their materials and lesson plans. Other states, like mine, require you to register with the state, and do yearly progress reports and standardized testing every three years. Some states have no requirements whatsoever, but that is the exception, not the rule.

Becasue I gave these points, this does not mean I believe public education is "better" . There is a lot that needs to be improved in the public education system. My point, I am just not so sure home -schooling is the answer.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 8:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I homeschooled. They were tested regularly. That's only one of the ways I knew their level of education.

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

I think home-schooling is extremely difficult. I voted No- it's not the easy way out. HOWVER with that being said- I see very many issues against home schooling.

1- lack of diversity/socialization. home schoolong is isolated and isolating- unless done very, very well.

2- lacks structure . Structure is beneficial for actually learning how to live/produce/interact with the world at large. 

3- lacks regulation. No one is regulating (necessarily) what is being taught to the child ; will the home schooled child have the same level of education. in theory it is typcially better being home schooled but again- no regulation how does one know?

Becasue I gave these points, this does not mean I believe public education is "better" . There is a lot that needs to be improved in the public education system. My point, I am just not so sure home -schooling is the answer.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)