Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Has the medical profession come up with a plausible reason why so many children have peanut allergies today?

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 8:07 PM
  • 70 Replies

I've only been a member of Cafe Mom for a year, so I don't know if you've discussed this particular angle before.  In my family from my grandparents on down, there were 6 kids + husband and/or wives, 18 grandchildren, and 20+ great grandchildren.  None of us had peanut allergies.  None of my kids friends had peanut allergies either.  It seems to me that this is a medical phenomonom in the past 10-15 years.

I never knew anyone with peanut allergies in my entire life until my daughter gave herself a nut allergy at about the age of 10.  She scoffed down most of a bag of pistachios in a few days, and I didn't notice it.  I picked up on it when she developed hives.  For years after that, every time she ate nuts, she got hives.  I had to stop bringing them home.  She can eat them now, as long as she doesn't go way overboard.

It just boggles my mind that it is so common today, and I understand how dangerous it is to so many children.  So, I was just interested if the medical profession really has any idea why this is happening so much today. 

grandma B

by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 8:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
newmommy430
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 8:14 PM
There isn't really an accepted explaination yet. It has been thought that genetically modified foods, the chemicals that are used in household cleaners, preservatives and other junk that are put into food, lack of exposure to germs, formula feeding....(the list goes on) may contribute to the icrease in allergies.

However, there isn't a definite cause that has been tested and agreed apon throughout the medical community.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meriana
by Platinum Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 8:59 PM

I wonder about it to. Growing up, I didn't know anyone with allergies, neither did my older kids. These day, it seems pretty much every school has a no peanut products policy due to kids being allergic. In my dd's middle school the policy is no peanut products; no sesame seed products; no banana products and there's one other thing to that I can't remember cause it's not something dd eats. But yeah, there's a kid that's deathly allergic, and I do mean deathly, allergic to bananas of all things.

grandmab125
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Maybe if they could come up with a consensus, they could figure out a way to prevent them or treat them?  I assume there is no way to desensitize a child allergic to peanuts like you sometimes can with other allergies, i.e., allergy shots.

grandma B

.Bubbles.
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 9:55 PM

I think you pose a really great question.  I have never read anything released by the scientific or medical communities on theories about why the number of allergies seems to have increased the way it has.  Growing up I didn't know anyone with food allergies.  I recall being in classes with a couple of kids who had outdoor and pet allergies but nothing severe.  I would be very interested to find out what the underlying cause is.  A close friend of mine has a child whose list of food he is allergic to is probably longer than the list of foods he can eat. 

Suzy_Sunshine
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 10:10 PM

most deadly peanut allergies are absolute bullshit

annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Agree with you. My DD ONLY in  our family who has severe food allergies.

Allergies are the reaction of your immune system to some substances. Sometimes the immune system mistaken harmless substances  as harmful and reacts. The result of the reaction is hives, itches, rashes and etc. I think, since there are MORE  negative factors NOW ( environment, stress, poor diet and etc) which are weakens our immune system, we see MORE cases of allergies now than years ago.

I hope you understand. Sorry my English is not the best!

ButterMeUp
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 10:42 PM

I'm sure you're gonna get some boob nazi to come on here and say her magic titty juice will protect ALL children from allergies. Um Yea......okay then.

eye rolling

norahsmommy
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 10:48 PM
My theory is its all the processed foods. There is milk product in most things, wheat, nuts, corn. It seems like everything is in EVERYTHING today. Foods that should not have peanuts in them normally do now because they are overly processed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
grandmab125
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Quoting annabl1970:

Agree with you. My DD ONLY in  our family who has severe food allergies.

Allergies are the reaction of your immune system to some substances. Sometimes the immune system mistaken harmless substances  as harmful and reacts. The result of the reaction is hives, itches, rashes and etc. I think, since there are MORE  negative factors NOW ( environment, stress, poor diet and etc) which are weakens our immune system, we see MORE cases of allergies now than years ago.

I hope you understand. Sorry my English is not the best!

I had no trouble understanding you.  I think your English is just fine.

grandma B

grandmab125
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Quoting norahsmommy:

My theory is its all the processed foods. There is milk product in most things, wheat, nuts, corn. It seems like everything is in EVERYTHING today. Foods that should not have peanuts in them normally do now because they are overly processed.

I know what you mean about nuts being in everything.  My daughter, that I referenced above, had been doing fine for years.  Then one night about 11 years ago, I got a call from her at around 11:00pm.  She lived in a tiny town in WI, about 1 hour away, with no doctors, no ambulance service, etc.  She was home alone as her husband was working out of the country for three months.  She had taken some of those weight loss pills you can pick up in any store, and too late she found out they were loaded with peanuts.  She not only broke out in hives, but her mouth had hives in it too.  She read the label, and sure enough, peanuts were like the second or third ingredient.  I think that was the company's idea of protien.  I told her to call whatever rescue squad they had in a near by town, but she wouldn't.  Then I told her I would go up and take her to the nearest hospital, but she wouldn't let me.  So, needless to say, I didn't get any sleep that night.  I called her first thing in the morning.  It cost her a couple of days of work.

grandma B

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)