Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

is Drinking while pregnant ok?

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 2:06 PM
  • 67 Replies

study on the news today says that 1-8 drinks a week is good for you, even while PREGNANT!

would you trust this study enough to attempt drinking, knowing what "could" happen from it- if the study is wrong?

by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 2:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
collectivecow
by Gold Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 2:08 PM
3 moms liked this

I would not.

Especially when other studies suggest that having a glass of wine once a month can be good for your heart. All this does is give people an excuse to drink while pregnant. I follow a simple rule: If I don't want it in my baby's body, don't put it in mine.

"The right to be heard does not include the right to be taken seriously."

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 2:10 PM
2 moms liked this

No. I ahve seen the effects of FAS (fetal alcohol syndrome) and would never risk it. IMO, if you canot withhold from drinking for 9 months you have a drinking problem

sourflower
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 2:11 PM
I don't think I'd ever risk it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BompsMum
by Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 2:12 PM
Not worth the risk to me. I dont drink anyway so its not a 'sacrifice' but i gave up other things that may have been bad for my bub (energy drinks, allergy meds etc) to be on the safe side
Ms.Charlie
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 2:13 PM
5 moms liked this
People tend to take things too far and over indulge. Do I think one glass of wine a few times while pregnant will hurt the baby? No, but I think people are stupid enough to take it and run with it and drink too much and that isn't good for anyone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tanya93
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 2:14 PM
1 mom liked this

my doctor said a single glass while sitting in a warm bath was good for Braxton hicks

jehosoba84
by Jenn on Jun. 20, 2012 at 2:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Eh, I've only read warning saying that alcohol does the most damage in the first 4 months of pregnancy. After that, it isnt as harmful. It greatly depends on what type you're drinking and especially how much. My cousin's ob/gyn was invited to her baby shower and the dr blended a daquiri and gave it to her herself.   I personally do not think a small amount will hurt anything. I drank a tiny bit during my first 2 pregnancies and they were fine. Dd is actually qualified for the gifted program at her school.

Happymamax2
by Silver Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 2:54 PM
Personally I like and occasional cocktail. There were a few times while pregnant that I REALLY wanted one, but I didn't do it... However, I don't think there is anything wrong with an occasional drink while pregnant. Now that I have two kids, if I got pregnant again, I might consider it!
Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 2:59 PM
3 moms liked this

I had a few glasses of red wine during the 9 months of each pregnancy.  I don't see an issue with it IF it is in moderation.  I was not drunk nor tipsy.

Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 3:00 PM
3 moms liked this

When I was pregnant and camping with friends I would have a sip of a friends Cosmo and I was good. 

Quoting Happymamax2:

Personally I like and occasional cocktail. There were a few times while pregnant that I REALLY wanted one, but I didn't do it... However, I don't think there is anything wrong with an occasional drink while pregnant. Now that I have two kids, if I got pregnant again, I might consider it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)