Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

How effective are Write in __________ campaigns S/O

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 2:42 PM
  • 15 Replies

I didn't want to hijack another post but I've noticed siggies telling people to "write in" various candidates for President.  

Aprox.  10 states allow citizens to write in a candidate's name not printed on the ballot without any type of Declaration and prequalification on the part of the candidate.  

What ultimately is the intention of pushing people to write in a candidate's name when those votes will more than likely never be counted?  

by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 2:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tanya93
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 2:48 PM

To make your desire for more than the "traditional" party candidates on the ballots known.

I could write someone in during the 2008 election and I wrote in Bill Richardson because I still believe he was the best candidate.

2 of my other friends wrote in Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho

katy_kay08
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Are your ballots counted by hand? If a candidate hasn't met the requirements to be a "write in" does a person hand check and take note of your desire for a choice "c"? 

You can desire to have all the choices you want but unless the candidate has made his intentions known is it really even a choice you have?  

Example:  I really think my neighbor rocks, so should I just write his name in even though he may have NO desire to be President?  Can you really have a have a choice "c" unless someone wants to be that choice?

Quoting Tanya93:

To make your desire for more than the "traditional" party candidates on the ballots known.

I could write someone in during the 2008 election and I wrote in Bill Richardson because I still believe he was the best candidate.

Tanya93
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 2:55 PM

We now have paperless ballots in our county, so I don't really know how it works for something like that.

Since he ran for the nomination and lost, I felt good with writing him in.    I don't believe in voting for the lesser of two evils for President.  So I didn't.

Quoting katy_kay08:

Are your ballots counted by hand? If a candidate hasn't met the requirements to be a "write in" does a person hand check and take note of your desire for a choice "c"? 

You can desire to have all the choices you want but unless the candidate has made his intentions known is it really even a choice you have?  

Example:  I really think my neighbor rocks, so should I just write his name in even though he may have NO desire to be President?  Can you really have a have a choice "c" unless someone wants to be that choice?

Quoting Tanya93:

katy_kay08
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Did you start a campaign to get people to throw away their vote on the write in candidate of their choice?  Is it disingenuous to do so without informing people that their votes will be tossed out?  

Quoting Tanya93:

We now have paperless ballots in our county, so I don't really know how it works for something like that.

Since he ran for the nomination and lost, I felt good with writing him in.    I don't believe in voting for the lesser of two evils for President.  So I didn't.

Quoting katy_kay08:

Quoting Tanya93:

Tanya93
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 3:01 PM

No I didn't start a campaign.   I simply wrote him in.

Quoting katy_kay08:

Did you start a campaign to get people to throw away their vote on the write in candidate of their choice?  Is it disingenuous to do so without informing people that their votes will be tossed out?  

Quoting Tanya93:

Quoting katy_kay08:

Quoting Tanya93:

Stephanie329
by Platinum Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 3:09 PM
Write-ins probably have as much impact on an election as the overdramatized voter ID fraud.

Which is not much.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bieg9093
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 3:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Because to do otherwise would only serve to perpetuate the very broken 2 party system.

Because a candidate is only "unelectable" if people don't vote for him/her.

Perhaps the time has come for 40 states to fix their rules.

Bieg9093
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 3:40 PM

I loved Bill Richardson.

Quoting Tanya93:

katy_kay08
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Then isn't the first step a campaign to change the write in laws in the state?

They are unelectable if they don't want to be elected.  Unless you think you can "draft" someone into the job.   

Quoting Bieg9093:

Because to do otherwise would only serve to perpetuate the very broken 2 party system.

Bieg9093
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 3:53 PM

That would be a much smarter first step.  However, I suspect that the majority of write in votes are for candidates who didn't win their party's nomination.  I doubt there's too many folks writing in Fred the mechanic. 

The advantage of a write in campaign is more long term...after the fact, folks can look at the numbers and say Holy Crap!  This_____________ got HOW MANY votes?  And he wasn't even on the ballot!  I guess the American people are serious about wanting ____________'s policies/ideaologies in office!

Quoting katy_kay08:

Then isn't the first step a campaign to change the write in laws in the state?

They are unelectable if they don't want to be elected.  Unless you think you can "draft" someone into the job.   

Quoting Bieg9093:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN