Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Middle school students bully bus monitor (an old lady!) - and it's all on video.

Posted by   + Show Post

This is going around Facebook now - has anyone else seen it?

I first saw the "Lets Give Karen -The bus monitor-  A Vacation!" fundraiser link, and then the news story itself. It happened in upstate New York.

Quote:

Greece Police are deciding if a group of Greece Athena Middle school students will be charged after cell phone video shows a group of kids on a school bus bullying and threatening a school bus monitor.

You can see some students on camera and hear others off camera taunting the woman about her weight.

The students also talk about threatening to go over to the bus monitor's house and steal from her.

13WHAM's Patrice Walsh spoke with Karen Wednesday afternoon.  Klein said the comment that hurt the most was when the kids said "you're so ugly your kid should kill themselves." Her son took his life 10 years ago.

I am, frankly, shocked after watching the video. How do kids end up like this?? I cried reading that last paragraph of the news story.

Did you watch the video? What do you think?

by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 3:22 PM
Replies (131-140):
mypbandj
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 12:04 AM

I bet the parents of those kids are feeling very proud right about now. NOT

Rose87
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2012 at 12:22 AM
3 moms liked this

her fundraiser is already up to 96k almost 97k!!!

when I donated earlier today, she was only at 9k!!!

BubblyChic
by New Member on Jun. 21, 2012 at 12:50 AM
1 mom liked this

This video is just a prime example of the problems that exist in the world today. Too many parents are raising their kids to think they are the center of the world and that their needs come before anyone else's. These kids grow to think that they are untouchable and they completely lack empathy.

Their parents are likely in denial and don't want to accept that their innocent kids could do such a thing without provocation. With the video evidence, many of the parents are likely sticking up for thier kids and claiming that the kids didn't know what damage they were doing.

I think these kids should have to inlcude the link to this video on each of their college applications. This will prevent them from lying about what upstanding citizens they are that give back to their community on their essays.

BubblyChic
by New Member on Jun. 21, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Quoting vinalex0581:

my SO heard about this.

he said that this particular incident happened yesterday but he told me that these kids have been bullying her all school year.

does anyone know if this is true?

if it is, then why wouldn't she just tell the school that she wants to monitor a different bus or just quit her job?

A woman of this age is likely not working due to the joy it gives her. She makes under 16,000 grand per year according to the article so she likely has to work to make ends meet. Not everyone can just quit a job when things go south.

Also, I wouldn't be suprised if she did report the bullying to the school administration but no one took her seriously. Suddenly the school wants to release a press release now that the issue has gone viral.

joyfree
by Silver Member on Jun. 21, 2012 at 1:18 AM
1 mom liked this

I couldn't watch the whole thing. If my son was involved in anything like that I think he'd be grounded for life! I hope the parents support any discipline, but they'll probably deny that their little darling was in on it. Probably just the video taker and the kids who goofily allowed themselves to be filmed will take the heat.

I was so moved that I donated to her early retirement(yeah, right, at 68!). She deserves to get away from those horrible brats.

I also sent an email to the school stating my horror and asking for the perpetrators be made to do community service at a nursing home!

soontobemom85
by New Member on Jun. 21, 2012 at 1:19 AM

i was trying to watch the video and after a couple minutes of watching my husband said i have heard enough turn it off. he was getting pissed about how those kids were treating her. if it was one of my kids doing that i would be washing there mouths out with soap and tanning there back end.

Jacqalyn
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Why didn't the bus driver stop and try and help defend this poor lady?

Rose87
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2012 at 1:35 AM
1 mom liked this
I love seeing another decent person. I, too, donated AND wrote a letter to the school.

Quoting joyfree:

I couldn't watch the whole thing. If my son was involved in anything like that I think he'd be grounded for life! I hope the parents support any discipline, but they'll probably deny that their little darling was in on it. Probably just the video taker and the kids who goofily allowed themselves to be filmed will take the heat.

I was so moved that I donated to her early retirement(yeah, right, at 68!). She deserves to get away from those horrible brats.

I also sent an email to the school stating my horror and asking for the perpetrators be made to do community service at a nursing home!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jacqalyn
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2012 at 1:47 AM
2 moms liked this

How do you know she didn't take names and report it? She is not to blame for the way these kids were treating her. That's like saying a kid who is being bullied should have to take some blame for it as well, as in saying they brought it upon themselves.

Quoting Sweet_Carol_126

Kids have always been cruel, but usually to one another.  It is the bus monitor's job to keep kids in seats and safe.  Keep kids from having sex or hurting others.  Keeping disruption to a minimum.  I think because this was an attack on her she didn't take the action that perhaps she should have.  Discipline is her job.  If she is too old to do that, then maybe she shouldn't be monitoring the bus.  She si about my age and I am not sure I could do better, but if I had been on there all year I think I'd have had the names down and I would have told them to expect discipline.  too many times the schools don't back up drivers and monitors.  Why didn't driver stop the bus until they settled down?  They are pressed to be on time. No one wa being injured, other than an adult's feelings and she wasn't speaking up.  Buses should perhaps have cameras on them.  BTW, the monitor is there because it is a problem bus and th monitor is there to help protect the driver.  Driver has back to all those kids and is busy driving the bus.  Leaders should have been disciplined, but I'm sorry, I might have to write up the monitor and give her extra training in disciplining the class.  Most school aides are trained and she didn't seem to have training to deal with middle school kids which are the worst.  I can understand the hurt she probably felt.  I may be more fat than she is and might have had same treatment but I would have to be careful not to grab me a kid.  Can't touch them unless  you are physically defending yourself you know.  I'd be taking names and describing behavior and maybe telling them that their behavior is inappropriate and could be hurtful.  She should say that bullying would not be accepted.  Then I'd take the names to the school and discuss it with the school and perhaps the union representative.  She needs to get some special training and they need to have a plan of discipline, like assertive discipline and conseuences.  She may have worked at school for 20 years but she surely must not have been a teacher as kids do behave like this in class and on buses.  not all school buses have a monitor so this is probably a problem group anyway which is why there is a monitor.  She is not paid $15,000 a year just to sit on a bus.  She has a job to do.  Doesn't excuse their behavior and they should have some consequnces for their actions.

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Jun. 21, 2012 at 2:40 AM

Didn't see the video but I think the kids should be held accountable for their piss poor behavior.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured