Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Where do YOU live? Descriptively tell us about your area, demographics, lifestyles, etc.

Posted by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 12:21 AM
  • 137 Replies

Poll

Question: What area of the country do you live in?

Options:

Northeast

Southeast

Midwest

South

Great Plains

Pacific Northwest

Southwest

I do not live in the United States

Alaska

Hawaii

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 114

View Results

I got this idea from another post, and I thought it would be fun to hear about where everyone lives and the lifestyles in your area.  This is not just for U.S. residents, but worldwide too:)  It was brought up in another post that even though (most of us here) live in the United States, there are vast differences in culture, lifestyle, trends, etc, depending on where you live.  I live in Indiana, and I know that it's nothing like California, for example.  I also know that our small towns here are nothing like the small towns of the New England states.  Be as specific as you can so that people can get a clear understanding of your area.  So anyways, just a little fun post so that we can learn more about different parts of our country!!

I'll start:

I live in Northeastern Indiana, in a mid-size town of about 13,000 people.  My town is the largest in the county (DeKalb County), and we also hold the county seat here.  I live near a small (I think small or small to mid) size city, Fort Wayne, which has about 300,000 people.  The public school systems here are good, and there are 2 private christian schools in my county (most kids attend public school here).  My town has a Wal-Mart and a Kroger store.  We have 2 fine-dining restaurants (privately owned).  The biggest chain restaurant here is Applebees.  My town is known as the classic car capital of the world.  Every year we have the ACD Festival, and a huge car auction, where people come from all over the world to auction off or buy classic or rare cars.  That is the biggest event here.  We have 5 hotels here (they fill up in the summers with travelers and especially during ACD).  We are also directly off an interstate, which helps our local economy (restaurants and hotels).  I would say my town has a lot of "hillbillies."  Overall, it's a really nice place to live and raise a family.  The neighborhoods are all safe in my town.  We live on a caul-de-sac, and my 5 year old daughter is allowed to walk to any of her several friends' houses that are on our street.  We have an annual "free fall fair" in september every year that has yummy food, games, and rides.  It is held on the streets of our downtown square.  It's call "free" b/c you don't pay to get into the fair, you just pay to ride rides, play games, etc.  This fair is seriously like a reunion.  EVERYBODY in the county comes to the fair.  That is the place where you run into everybody that you know!  For shopping, nightlife, cultural events, etc, we go 20 minutes south down the interstate to Fort Wayne.  It's a smaller city, but it has 2 great shopping malls, tons of restaurants, nice clubs, and lots more to do in any other city in Indiana (besides Indianapolis).  Sometimes I wonder where people shop for clothes who don't live any where near a real city?  As far as jobs, most people here work in factories or service (banks, food service, walmart/kroger, etc.).  A lot of people who have a white collar job commute to fort wayne daily, including my mother.   My county is mostly caucasian.  I'm going off of memory from the last census, but I think it was over 90% caucasian, about 6-7 % hispanic, 1% african american.  My county is not diverse at all.   The majority of the people in my county are conservative republicans (Indiana also tends to lean to the right, with one exception being Obama beating McCain in the last pres. election).  I can't really think of anything else right now, but if I do, I will add to it:)  Where does everyone else live?  Describe your communitity's way of life!

by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 12:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
colljd02
by Julia on Jun. 22, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Bump!

colljd02
by Julia on Jun. 22, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Bump!

colljd02
by Julia on Jun. 22, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Bump!

Braydens_Mama11
by Member on Jun. 22, 2012 at 12:32 AM
1 mom liked this
I live in Dayton Ohio (Huber heights more specifically) use to be a nice town. More of a richy snobby "I'm better than you" town. Its went to crap. There is no way of living here. Because half of the people that live in Montgomery County are either in jail, homeless or just barely making it. Unfortunately this is the town I call home and its hard to move away from home
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tiffyhamm
by Silver Member on Jun. 22, 2012 at 12:37 AM
I live near the middle of hot ass Texas in a city called copperas cove. We're right outside ft hood so it's very diverse because of the military. There's about 30,000 people here, but the next city over, where my folks live, the population is well over 100,000. CCISD is pretty good and there isn't really that much to do in this area besides eat out and go to the movies. Luckily Austin, Waco, san Antonio, dallas aren't too much of a drive to go for a weekend. There are shops here ppl get clothing from and there are outlet centers in san marcos and hillsboro. When I lived in Maryland, many assumed we were all country and rode horses. I actually treat ppl I see riding horses as a once in a lifetime thing because I don't see it often. Most around here don't wear cowboy boots, but hunting is pretty big I guess. Mostly republican, which sucks cause I'm liberal. H.E.B. is like the only grocery store, outside of Walmart...target too.

We have a Rabbit Fest each year and I thought it would have been centered around rabbits, but they really only habe rabbits in the petting zoo. Its a carnival, shows, bunch of vendors, etc. Lasts a weekend in may.

I dobt know what else to put and I'm mobile and I don't like typing mobile, lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
colljd02
by Julia on Jun. 22, 2012 at 12:43 AM
Hunting is big in rural Indiana also. I'm also liberal living in a vastly conservative area. Are there certain parts of Texas that tend to be more of what people stereotypically think when they think of Texas, like cowboys, rodeos, riding horses, big ranches, etc.?

Quoting tiffyhamm:

I live near the middle of hot ass Texas in a city called copperas cove. We're right outside ft hood so it's very diverse because of the military. There's about 30,000 people here, but the next city over, where my folks live, the population is well over 100,000. CCISD is pretty good and there isn't really that much to do in this area besides eat out and go to the movies. Luckily Austin, Waco, san Antonio, dallas aren't too much of a drive to go for a weekend. There are shops here ppl get clothing from and there are outlet centers in san marcos and hillsboro. When I lived in Maryland, many assumed we were all country and rode horses. I actually treat ppl I see riding horses as a once in a lifetime thing because I don't see it often. Most around here don't wear cowboy boots, but hunting is pretty big I guess. Mostly republican, which sucks cause I'm liberal. H.E.B. is like the only grocery store, outside of Walmart...target too.

We have a Rabbit Fest each year and I thought it would have been centered around rabbits, but they really only habe rabbits in the petting zoo. Its a carnival, shows, bunch of vendors, etc. Lasts a weekend in may.

I dobt know what else to put and I'm mobile and I don't like typing mobile, lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
colljd02
by Julia on Jun. 22, 2012 at 12:45 AM
We love going to Kings Island and Cincinnatti, and we always go by Dayton:)

Quoting Braydens_Mama11:

I live in Dayton Ohio (Huber heights more specifically) use to be a nice town. More of a richy snobby "I'm better than you" town. Its went to crap. There is no way of living here. Because half of the people that live in Montgomery County are either in jail, homeless or just barely making it. Unfortunately this is the town I call home and its hard to move away from home
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
colljd02
by Julia on Jun. 22, 2012 at 12:46 AM
What has caused the downfall of your area? Is it a drug problem, loss of jobs, etc?

Quoting Braydens_Mama11:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NiCo86
by Member on Jun. 22, 2012 at 12:50 AM
2 moms liked this

Homer, Alaska.

Town has less than 5,000. We are a tourist community with industry in fishing. Good schools. COL is quite high (gas JUST dropped to $4.50 over the last 2 weeks with a peak at $4.89). Nearest actual mall is 240 miles (4 1/2 hour drive) north. Lots of outdoor recreation: bonfires on the beach, hiking, camping, kayak/canoeing, four wheeling, skiing, snowboarding, snow machining ... I love it here!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tiffyhamm
by Silver Member on Jun. 22, 2012 at 12:52 AM
I couldn't tell you specific towns because I don't frequent rodeos. But they have a black rodeo each year in hearne, although it may have been in madisonville at one time. I have never went, but I would love to go. Hubs father wears cowboy boots, he's from a hearne, small town. I don't really go too many small towns but the ones I've been to there were many that looked like they came straight out of a western. I'm a "city" gal, so I haven't been to many ranches, but driving around I see plenty. San saba is pretty country. Hubs is a LT at the prison out there and I hated driving him there when one of our cars broke down. Long stretches of road lined with both live deer, dead deer, and wild hogs, no thanks. They do have a ton of pecans though, lol.

Quoting colljd02:

Hunting is big in rural Indiana also. I'm also liberal living in a vastly conservative area. Are there certain parts of Texas that tend to be more of what people stereotypically think when they think of Texas, like cowboys, rodeos, riding horses, big ranches, etc.?

Quoting tiffyhamm:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)