Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Setting a 100k purse on fire.

Posted by on Jun. 23, 2012 at 5:03 PM
  • 87 Replies

So, Clint Eastwood's daughter posed with a 100k Birkin bag that was lit on fire. Her bf is a photographer and said it was in the name of art. Waste of money or a powerful statement? 

Why Clint Eastwood’s Daughter Set Fire to $100,000 Handbag

Francesca Eastwood — model, actress and daughter of film legend Clint Eastwood — has been under fire for her participation in a recent art project with her photographer boyfriend, Tyler Shields.

During their photo shoot, Shields and Eastwood destroyed a red crocodile Hèrmes Birkin purse with fire and a chainsaw. The photos were then posted on the couple’s website.

The demolition of the posh handbag, which retails for about $100,000, sent many people ablaze. The website has been littered with comments from angry consumers who think that the bag should have been donated to charity instead of meeting a fiery demise, Time reported.

After receiving death threats over the photos, Shields made an offer to sell one of the pictures for $100,000 and then donate the proceeds to a family in need, Grazia Daily reports. On the website, Shields said, “If somebody were to buy — all right, let’s do this. If somebody wants to buy one of the Birkin photos, I will donate $100,000 — not to a charity — but to a family. I will give one family in need $100,000 cash.”

Shields, whose father suffered a stroke when the photographer was 15, said he’d select a family that’s currently enduring a situation similar to what he experienced during his youth.

Eastwood, who regularly appears on the reality show Mrs. Eastwood & Company, said that she participated in the photo shoot “in the name of art.”

http://www.investorplace.com/2012/05/why-clint-eastwoods-daughter-set-fire-to-100000-handbag/

by on Jun. 23, 2012 at 5:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommy2b2324
by on Jun. 23, 2012 at 5:10 PM
2 moms liked this
Bleh. its just a purse. an ugly, extremely overpriced for no.good.reason purse. I'd have set it on fire.too
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Jun. 23, 2012 at 5:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Have you watched the show Mrs.Eastwood and Company? This was on one of the episodes.LOL

What would donating the bag to charity prove? It's just a freaking bag, get over it.

smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Jun. 23, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Quoting muslimahpj:

Have you watched the show Mrs.Eastwood and Company? This was on one of the episodes.LOL

What would donating the bag to charity prove? It's just a freaking bag, get over it.

No, I haven't. It got me interested in her bf's website and he's done some beautiful photos. There was one picture where he wrote "Stop Kony" and I had no idea who he was so I looked him up. Kind of regretting I did. :/ There are some truly evil people in the world. 

CannoliSpirit
by on Jun. 23, 2012 at 5:16 PM
The charity could sell the bag and use the proceeds to fund their programs.

Quoting muslimahpj:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jun. 23, 2012 at 5:23 PM
3 moms liked this
I appreciate what the 'public' has to say about the photos. Still, where do people get off telling folks how to be charitable in a more appropriate way?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Jun. 23, 2012 at 5:23 PM

I guess, but its a handbag, definitely not worth 100 grand.

Quoting CannoliSpirit:

The charity could sell the bag and use the proceeds to fund their programs.

Quoting muslimahpj:

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jun. 23, 2012 at 5:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I appreciate what the 'public' has to say about the photos. Still, where do people get off telling folks how to be charitable in a more appropriate way?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Jun. 23, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Quoting smalltowngal:

Quoting muslimahpj:

No, I haven't. It got me interested in her bf's website and he's done some beautiful photos. There was one picture where he wrote "Stop Kony" and I had no idea who he was so I looked him up. Kind of regretting I did. :/ There are some truly evil people in the world. 

You missed all the Kony posts in here? LOL

It's just another reality show and I happened to catch this one. She wanted the bag so bad, he let her carry for 2 days and then they did the photoshoot.

smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Jun. 23, 2012 at 5:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

I think it's a quite striking photo. I'm sure there are many sculptures out there that took over 100k to make. Saying you can't do that type of art because it costs too much doesn't settle with me. 

Paperfishies
by Silver Member on Jun. 23, 2012 at 5:25 PM
1 mom liked this
I love birkin bags!!! That picture gave me a panic attack.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)