Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

There's one God who presents him/herself to different people in different ways.

Posted by on Jun. 23, 2012 at 5:20 PM
  • 85 Replies
1 mom liked this
I've heard people say this before, that God presents himself to Christians one way, to Hindus another, to Sikhs yet another, and so on. But it's just one god, meeting people from different cultures in a frame of reference that makes the most sense to them culturally or whatever. What's your opinion?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 23, 2012 at 5:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jun. 23, 2012 at 5:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds good.

punky3175
by on Jun. 23, 2012 at 6:22 PM
1 mom liked this
I could believe that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Jun. 23, 2012 at 7:06 PM
2 moms liked this

I do not believe many of the people who follow these religions would agree.  I notice that when, for example, when the Muslimahs on this site try to make this assertion, some of the Christians here disagree violently. 

I don't see how a god who presents in different forms to different religious faiths would be able to create a hell for unbelievers within each faith.  In one form, He is inclusive, yet at the same time he is excluding the majority of actual, existing human beings. 

But I am not a believer.   

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jun. 23, 2012 at 7:17 PM
5 moms liked this

I don't think he 'excludes' anyone. I think he's like a guy with the door open. Some people choose to go in, some don't.

I think there probably is 1 God, and people mold him to fit their need.

Quoting momtoscott:

I do not believe many of the people who follow these religions would agree.  I notice that when, for example, when the Muslimahs on this site try to make this assertion, some of the Christians here disagree violently. 

I don't see how a god who presents in different forms to different religious faiths would be able to create a hell for unbelievers within each faith.  In one form, He is inclusive, yet at the same time he is excluding the majority of actual, existing human beings. 

But I am not a believer.   

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Jun. 23, 2012 at 7:21 PM

That would be fine with me.  I'm sure the kind of god you envision won't be too mad at me for not believing in him. 

Unfortunately, that's not the kind of God I was brought up believing in... our (Southern Baptist) god was the kind of guy who'd damn you for just about anything!

Quoting EireLass:

I don't think he 'excludes' anyone. I think he's like a guy with the door open. Some people choose to go in, some don't.

Quoting momtoscott:

But I am not a believer.   

Jean2

punky3175
by on Jun. 23, 2012 at 7:22 PM
Yeah - I had a hard time with the Southern Baptists telling me what I could and couldn't do. :-)
Quoting momtoscott:

That would be fine with me.  I'm sure the kind of god you envision won't be too mad at me for not believing in him. 

Unfortunately, that's not the kind of God I was brought up believing in... our (Southern Baptist) god was the kind of guy who'd damn you for just about anything!

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting momtoscott:

But I am not a believer.   

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CannoliSpirit
by on Jun. 23, 2012 at 7:57 PM
My parents are Southern Baptists. I'm so glad I was an adult before they 'got saved' and all that.

Quoting momtoscott:

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting momtoscott:

But I am not a believer.   

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Skye21210
by on Jun. 23, 2012 at 8:21 PM

We talked about this recently in my Philosophy course. How there are many relegions that worship a God and each one has similarities like all powerful, all good,etc.., so could most ppl be praying to the same god?

JonJon
by Ruby Member on Jun. 23, 2012 at 8:24 PM
5 moms liked this

I like to think of God as a spirit to which we try to assign a gender but God has no gender and God is always the same, the one true constant.  Different people have their own interpretations of God and what it means to be God-like. 

http://images.paraorkut.com/img/pics/glitters/p/princess-6600.gif

It's just for a while to say I'm honored to have been so dubbed..

Iconoclast
by Gold Member on Jun. 23, 2012 at 8:28 PM
3 moms liked this

My dad was the same way!  He would damn just about everything.  He'd be like, " Damn it Lo, pick that up"; "Damn it Lo, put that down"; "Lo don't say that, damn it" and so on.

(My attempt at humor, but he did say that big smile mini)

Quoting momtoscott:

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting momtoscott:

But I am not a believer.   

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.”

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)