Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

This is true

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 9:15 AM
  • 21 Replies
4 moms liked this

I don't usually post an "inspirational message" but this came from one of my friends on FB who runs her own business. I have many friends like this.

National Woman's Party

by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 9:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IreneCarroll
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 9:16 AM
bump

illegallyblonde
by Lawyerupbeeches on Jun. 24, 2012 at 9:19 AM
1 mom liked this
I love this too!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romalove
by Roma on Jun. 24, 2012 at 9:19 AM
1 mom liked this
I am a small business owner. I love this too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jun. 24, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Shop local. Mom and Pops are people too:)

ashellbell
by shellbark on Jun. 24, 2012 at 9:52 AM
I'm currently back in school and I work at a locally owned place. We get tons of business. I'm close with the owners and they make sure we benefit when they do. I also live in a hippy area and we all keep it local. I won't support corporate greed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tanya93
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 10:07 AM

yes, because the workers at the big box stores aren't earning money to send their kids to dance class, or buy a team jersey, or eat, or have a place to live.

They just work there to make sure the CEO gets another house.

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jun. 24, 2012 at 10:09 AM

The idea that the big corporations are the only way to "create jobs" is the biggest line of BS we as a people have been asked to swallow in a long time...

I posted this a month ago in another thread, but thought it goes well here...

I once heard a story about how a recession/depression is actually statistically one of the best times to start a small business because so many talented smart people are forced to reinvent themselves. I wish I could find that story and provide the link..maybe I will have time later.I know quite a few people who are running/starting up small businesses that are currently doing very well right now. None of them are having any trouble with gove't regulations and restrictions.

I recently moved, but let me give examples, with LINKS, to how this is happening in my previous town:

A couple I know are operating a small local bakery. They network and cooperate with other local business in town. Not only do they sell at their store front, but they provide the desserts for most of the independently run restaurants in town. They have had to hire extra help and are so busy that I never get to see them any more outside of their shop. They have never had any trouble with local/state or federal regulations.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Little-Bread-Company/287407811288

My close friend took a workshop in book repair and started a book repair business out of her garage. She is the only person providing this service in a three state area. She gets many interesting jobs..but during this recession, churches alone are keeping her in business. People are repairing their bibles and hymnals instead of purchasing new ones. Sometimes she hires extra help when big jobs come in. She recently was able to renovate her garage to create a proper workshop. She is a legal LLC and has never had any trouble with regulations.

http://littlemountainbindery.com/Little_Mountain_Bindery/Home.html

Another friend of mine is a SAHM. She brings in a substantial income, enough to stay at home and still have a middle class lifestyle, making tie-dye shirts for sale on Etsy, wholesale supply and at fall crafts fairs. During her busy season, she hires extra workers to help her meet the demand. Ugh..I can't seem to locate her profile right now, but she is listed on the Block Party below.

Some of my other friends are starting up small regional organic farms that supply local resturaunts and sell at the local farmer's markets. They are not online right now, but service places around town like this one:

http://www.greenhousegrille.com/

All of these folks have never had any trouble with regulations and they are all working legally above the table and paying taxes, hiring people and GROWING.

Not a single one of them is a corporation.

All of the folks I mentioned also know each other, network, support local, and help to create more jobs. Two years ago, they formed a group that runs a "block party" once a year with booths only allowed from local businesses. The first year of the festival the turnout was several hundred more people than expected.

https://www.facebook.com/events/114970261919041/

All of this is happening in the back yard of Wal-Mart's home quarters. 

You may try to make the argument that these "little guys" do not have the hiring power of Wal-Mart...But to argue that point, Wal-Mart WAS one of these little businesses, in the same region, not all that long ago.

National Woman's Party

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jun. 24, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Those same people can make just as much money working for a mom and pop... The more we support these small local businesses, the more opportunity they will have to hire folks. See my previous post in this thread for concrete examples.

Quoting Tanya93:

yes, because the workers at the big box stores aren't earning money to send their kids to dance class, or buy a team jersey, or eat, or have a place to live.

National Woman's Party

Tanya93
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 10:20 AM
1 mom liked this

I read what you posted.

And?  It doesn't change the fact it is completely wrong to say these people checking you out at Target aren't doing the exact same things with their money.

I try to shop locally, but this is just feel good bull because not every community has the ability to only have locally owned businesses.  That somehow it is wrong to shop at Safeway or Dillards.

Quoting NWP:

Those same people can make just as much money working for a mom and pop... The more we support these small local businesses, the more opportunity they will have to hire folks. See my previous post in this thread for concrete examples.

Quoting Tanya93:

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jun. 24, 2012 at 10:27 AM

The part in red...It has to start somewhere. Yes, every community can shop local. The more they do, the more "local" there will be. It doesn't mean you CAN'T shop at Safeway...but why not the IGA?

To your point anyway, it doesn't matter what the employees spend their money on..we are talking about the OWNERS.

Quoting Tanya93:

I read what you posted.

And?  It doesn't change the fact it is completely wrong to say these people checking you out at Target aren't doing the exact same things with their money.

I try to shop locally, but this is just feel good bull because not every community has the ability to only have locally owned businesses.  That somehow it is wrong to shop at Safeway or Dillards.

Quoting NWP:

Quoting Tanya93:

National Woman's Party

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN