Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

No good deed goes unpunished...

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Do you think I did the right thing?

Options:

Yes she said she was okay.

No. I would have called 911 no matter what she said.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 44

View Results

A few days ago, I was getting into the car when I noticed an elderly woman laying on the grass across the street. She wasn't moving and people were just passing her by like she wasn't even there. So I ran across the street to see if she needed help. This poor lady had fallen over, cut her lip and couldn't get back up. I asked her if she needed an ambulance and she said no, so I just helped her up and offered her a ride to her house.

When we get there I walked her to the door where her son answered. I told him what happened and instead of getting a thank you, he bitched at me! He said I never should have toiched her. I should have called 911 right away and let them take care of the problem because I could have hurt her in the process. I was soo pissed. I just walked away and didn't say a damn word.

by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 11:36 PM
Replies (21-30):
gsprofval
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 2:20 PM

This hit too close to home for me. I have always been taught, and taught my children to ALWAYS respect older people, to help them when possible, and to hold the door for them--man or woman.

My Daddy is 99 years old and we have to be so careful with him because he is unsteady on his feet and his skin is literally like wet tissue paper.

I am so glad you stopped to help her. If you had thought she needed an ambulance, you would have called one. You were her saving angel and will be blessed for that.

As for her nasty son, he will be "blessed" for that, too.

romalove
by Roma on Jun. 26, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Quoting paganbaby:

Good for you :-) Maybe the few of us decent people in the world will help balance out the selfish many. Honestly the thought of being held liable didn't even cross my mind. All I saw was a human being in pain.

And lol that's too funny! How do you get notifications like that?

Quoting romalove:

Well, pagan, maybe this is why people were passing her by; people know that they are liable if they get involved.

Having said that, I would have done what you did.  I had an older neighbor lady who was wandering the neighborhood.  I knew her only in passing, but she was obviously confused, and was locked out of her house.  It was hard to get good information from her.  She wanted me to take her to someone else's house, and because it was at least an address, I took her there.  No one was home.  I finally got the name of her daughter and where she worked, and was able to contact her.  Turned out she had had a couple of strokes and was not in her right mind, and I was able to bring her to her daughter to care for her.  They were appreciative of the time and effort I took with her, but someone else might not have been.

We open ourselves up to criticism and potential lawsuits for helping people.  Sad world, isn't it?

BTW, your title here was my facebook status the other day.  Shows you what kind of life I have been living lol.

You misunderstood me.

I personally had as my status "No good deed goes unpunished" on my Facebook page.  This is a coincidence that you have it here as your title.  It wasn't a notification on my FB page about here LOL.

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Jun. 26, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Lord I hope that wasn't the case...And you're right. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. But you know what? I don't care. I helped someone. And that's all that matters in the end, right?

Quoting jlo1313:

He was likely waiting on her to die so he could inherit everything she had and collect life insurance.  You did the right thing, you would have been bitched at for calling the ambulance too because she would have a medical bill at that time.  Either way, you were in a lose-lose situation with a very miserable son and that is likely why people just pass others on by when they need help.  I commend you for going to check on her.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Jun. 26, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Quoting romalove:

Quoting paganbaby:

Good for you :-) Maybe the few of us decent people in the world will help balance out the selfish many. Honestly the thought of being held liable didn't even cross my mind. All I saw was a human being in pain.

And lol that's too funny! How do you get notifications like that?

Quoting romalove:

Well, pagan, maybe this is why people were passing her by; people know that they are liable if they get involved.

Having said that, I would have done what you did.  I had an older neighbor lady who was wandering the neighborhood.  I knew her only in passing, but she was obviously confused, and was locked out of her house.  It was hard to get good information from her.  She wanted me to take her to someone else's house, and because it was at least an address, I took her there.  No one was home.  I finally got the name of her daughter and where she worked, and was able to contact her.  Turned out she had had a couple of strokes and was not in her right mind, and I was able to bring her to her daughter to care for her.  They were appreciative of the time and effort I took with her, but someone else might not have been.

We open ourselves up to criticism and potential lawsuits for helping people.  Sad world, isn't it?

BTW, your title here was my facebook status the other day.  Shows you what kind of life I have been living lol.

You misunderstood me.

I personally had as my status "No good deed goes unpunished" on my Facebook page.  This is a coincidence that you have it here as your title.  It wasn't a notification on my FB page about here LOL.

Oh that's even better LOL

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Jun. 26, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Oh this brought tears to my eyes...

Is your dad home with you? That's one thing that really worries me. I hope I'm able to take care of my mom when she gets older :-/

Quoting gsprofval:

This hit too close to home for me. I have always been taught, and taught my children to ALWAYS respect older people, to help them when possible, and to hold the door for them--man or woman.

My Daddy is 99 years old and we have to be so careful with him because he is unsteady on his feet and his skin is literally like wet tissue paper.

I am so glad you stopped to help her. If you had thought she needed an ambulance, you would have called one. You were her saving angel and will be blessed for that.

gsprofval
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 2:30 PM

When my dear Mother died about a year and a half ago, my Dad didn't want to go to a nursing home and my 2 brothers and I didn't want him in a home. Dad wanted to stay in the house HE built almost 60 years ago, but he couldn't be alone, so he moved in with my little brother, his wife, and son. They take awesome care of him, but he is declining now, which is normal for his age.

His skin really is like wet tissue paper. He scratched his arm and his nails were rough and he tore a piece of skin over an inch wide. My SIL made sure I cut and filed his nails the next time I came--that's one of my jobs and I gladly do it.

It's not easy, but he is so much better than in a nursing home. My little brother and his wife (I claim her as a sister) are both awesome, especially considering they have a 13 year old austic son, too.

Quoting paganbaby:

Oh this brought tears to my eyes...

Is your dad home with you? That's one thing that really worries me. I hope I'm able to take care of my mom when she gets older :-/

Quoting gsprofval:

she_walk_softly
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 2:34 PM
maybe her adult son still lives at home because he is a jerk lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jesi_79
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2012 at 2:39 PM

If you called 9-1-1 and she refused medical attention that would have been a waste of valuable resources for the police and paramedics that responded.  A waste that cost another life if a real emergency came in while they helped her to her feet, took her vitals and then had her sign a refusal to treat form.

I think her son was angry because he can't file a liability suit against the property owner where she fell.  You did the right thing; he is a horse's ass.

GoddessNDaRuff
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2012 at 2:43 PM

I think you did the right thing. You saved her an ambulance bill and gave her a ride home. If you hadn't she might have still been lying there.

Do the right thing because it is the right thing. Not for recognition or reward. Even though sometimes doing the right thing makes you wanna punch somebody.

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Jun. 26, 2012 at 3:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting muslimahpj:

Quoting Peanutx3:

Quoting muslimahpj:

Quoting Peanutx3:

Well knowing how serious a fall could be for an elderly person I would have been worried about possible injurying her more.  I probably would have called 911.

Me too, but, I have a medical background and people who are in that and in or around first responders usually think that way too. :P (I hope that makes sense)

Makes perfect sense to me.  I spent many years helping Matt study EMT stuff.

Yeah, and unless you work it/around it, you just dont think about certain things.

Im not knocking what you did Pagan, at all, I think it was great that you helped her when no one else did. Y

Okay good cause I was about to get all pouty,lol.

LOL. No, you dont have to get pouty. :P

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured