Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Would You Spend $26.45/wk (Groceries Post) **PIOG

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 1:29 PM
  • 69 Replies

On a box of vegetables delivered once per week for 6 months, 5 lbs of fruit delivered to the same site for 5 months, and 10 large boxes of single items (your choice) to preserve

The catch being you have to pay about $1800 $1,364 up front as a one time payment?

Even if it meant that these purchases could meet all of your family's fruit and vegetable needs for 12 months?

~~ The weekly box and fruit box are intended to meet the needs of 3 to 4 adults

To Clarify - "one time payment" - I get my produce through a CSA (community supported agriculture) program.  I pay "my" farmer once, during the winter, when he needs to buy supplies for the coming season.  I then get a "share" of his crops over the course of the growing season.  The particular farm I buy from has been organic since the 60's.  It's VERY organic, LOL.

Math:  Fruit share - 380.12 (10% off regular price due to when I purchased)
Weekly produce share + "preserve share" option - 984.30

= 1,364.12 divide by 52 = 26.23

My apologies.  It had been awhile since I worked out the figures 

Today's Pick Up:

2 big bags of spinach, 2 small heads of lettuce, 2 pint bags of rhubarb, 2 heads of garlic, 1 bundle beats, 1 bundles green onions, 1 bundle cilantro, 1 bag snow peas.  Tucked uvder the cilantro is a 2 lb bag of navy beans.  Fruit share consisted of a bag of apricots and a bag of sweet cherries.

To answer quality concerns - I did find 2 apricots in the bag with minor bruises.  Husband is taking them to work for breakfast in the morning.  There are a few slightly wrinkled cherries also, which will be included with breakfast for myself and the kids tomorrow.  None of the vegetable is damaged in anyway.  No bruised lettuce or spinach (although very gritty, I soaked the spinach for 30 minutes in cold water before taking the stems off and bagging for the fridge).

Write in Jon Huntsman for President

"People no longer trust that their government is working for them. They see the revolving door between Capitol Hill and K Street, the influence-peddling, the backroom deals, and the crony capitalism. 

http://jon2012.com/issues

by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 1:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MakinBabies
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 1:30 PM
2 moms liked this

Honey, I wouldn't even know what to do with a rhubarb lol

littleacorn
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 1:30 PM
Sure, if I had the money to do it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommajen32
by Platinum Member on Jun. 27, 2012 at 1:31 PM

We do weekly boxes but are allowed to pay per month. 

eema.gray
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 1:32 PM

rhubarb custard pie is a family favorite.  :-)  I also came across a recipe for rhubarb chutney last weekend that is just fabulous.  We tried a spinach and rhubarb salad two weeks ago.  It was okay but not noteworthy.

Quoting MakinBabies:

Honey, I wouldn't even know what to do with a rhubarb lol

"People no longer trust that their government is working for them. They see the revolving door between Capitol Hill and K Street, the influence-peddling, the backroom deals, and the crony capitalism. 

eema.gray
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 1:33 PM
1 mom liked this

We're in a tax bracket that we usually get a federal tax refund so the first thing I do is buy my CSA shares. 

Quoting littleacorn:

Sure, if I had the money to do it.

crazymommy30
by Member on Jun. 27, 2012 at 1:35 PM

I was looking into a CSA, but I figured it was cheaper to get a bountiful basket every week instead.

eema.gray
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Depending on where you live, a program like that one can be a lot cheaper than a CSA.  It just really depends on locaton.  For us, the CSA program is cheaper.  :-)

Quoting crazymommy30:

I was looking into a CSA, but I figured it was cheaper to get a bountiful basket every week instead.

punky3175
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 1:38 PM
For me it's a combination of having that kind of money all at once and worrying about whether I'll actually use what I get (rhubarb does come to mind.)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
themissheather
by Member on Jun. 27, 2012 at 1:39 PM
Yes. I wanted to do a CSA this year, but I waited too long and all the slots were filled. Now we just go to the farmer's market.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eema.gray
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Would it help if the farm sent out a weekly newsletter with recipes and ideas for using ingredients that might be unfamiliar?

Quoting punky3175:

For me it's a combination of having that kind of money all at once and worrying about whether I'll actually use what I get (rhubarb does come to mind.)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)