Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Christians physically attacked at the 2012 Dearborn Arab Festival

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 3:41 PM
  • 818 Replies

by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 3:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
StormySkye
by Member on Jun. 27, 2012 at 3:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Is it still okay to feed them to the lions?

CDMelty
by Member on Jun. 27, 2012 at 3:46 PM
11 moms liked this

How many Muslims have been baselessly attacked by "Christians"? Same thing. Some bad people get violent and hate-crimey over religion.

12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on Jun. 27, 2012 at 3:48 PM
7 moms liked this

WOW that didn't take long for people to start with the excuses.  I would have hoped people could have at least watched the video before they excused the acts of violence. 

IhartU
by Gold Member on Jun. 27, 2012 at 3:48 PM
21 moms liked this

Religion turns people into assholes. That's what I get from this.

jewjewbee
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 3:52 PM
4 moms liked this
there's that peaceful and gentle society again.
Off with their headz!!
lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on Jun. 27, 2012 at 3:53 PM
6 moms liked this

Admittedly, I don't know much about Muslim Arab Festival...but why were the Christians there? What were they saying to the Muslims via the megaphone?

jewjewbee
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 3:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting lizmarie1975:

Admittedly, I don't know much about Muslim Arab Festival...but why were the Christians there? What were they saying to the Muslims via the megaphone?

I don't think it matters, does it?
collectivecow
by Gold Member on Jun. 27, 2012 at 3:56 PM
10 moms liked this

Flaring tensions led to violence and an arrest in Michigan this weekend as members of Christian missionary groups turned up to protest at the largest public gathering of Arab-Americans in the U.S.

Christian protesters traveled across the country to Dearborn, Mich., where they taunted attendees and even held a severed pig’s head for three days at the annual Arab International Festival. The protests turned violent Sunday, and by the end of the day as many as 10 people facing disorderly conduct or assault charges, according to ABC News Detroit affiliate WXYZ.

“You’re going to burn in hell,” a missionary reportedly yelled at a group of Arab-American boys, while other protesters held anti-Muslim signs that made bigoted remarks about Islam and its prophet Mohammed, including “Islam is a religion of blood and murder” and “Muhammad (Islam’s prophet) is a … liar, false prophet, murderer, child molesting pervert.”

Young festival attendees later threw soda cans at the protesters and yelled, “Allah-U-Akbar” [God is the greatest], the Detroit Free Press reported.

Violence eventually broke out between festival goers and protesters, prompting Dearborn police to arrest a protest they  claim incited the violence.  Some protesters say that they were attacked first.

“And they [police] arrest one of our guys. I don’t know if they know what they’re doing,” protest organizer Ruben Israel said. “When we go back and report what happened, next year there could be a hundred of us out here.”

Kaseeem Allie with the Islamic Center of America said he thinks it’s unfortunate that a festival designed to bring people together saw such chaos.

“I think that our community has done a good job in not reacting in the way that they wanted, outside of a few minor incidents,” Allie told WXYZ. “This festival is designed for people to have fun, to celebrate and enjoy their background and cultures. And for someone to come in and make something negative out of it is very unfortunate.”

Dearborn has the highest concentration of Arab-Americans in the country, compromising nearly 42 percent of the city’s population, according to the 2010 census. This has made the city a flashpoint for conflict amongst Christian grounds and Arab-Americans.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/06/christian-taunts-and-violence-mar-arab-festival-in-michigan/

"The right to be heard does not include the right to be taken seriously."

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Jun. 27, 2012 at 3:59 PM
5 moms liked this

Quoting CDMelty:

How many Muslims have been baselessly attacked by "Christians"? Same thing. Some bad people get violent and hate-crimey over religion.

Ok, so when that happens post it and we will discuss it.

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Jun. 27, 2012 at 4:01 PM
14 moms liked this

Quoting jewjewbee:

Quoting lizmarie1975:

I don't think it matters, does it?

I think it does matter.  If the Christians were inciting violence then they were wrong also.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)