Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

People need gadgets to "remind" them that their kids are in the car so they don't leave them there?

Posted by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 9:28 AM
  • 82 Replies

What's this world coming to? If we are so busy that we forget THE most important thing in the world-a person, one who depends on us..maybe those people need to get a simpler life.

New gadgets aimed to help reduce children left in cars

Posted: Jun 26, 2012 4:53 PM CDT Updated: Jun 26, 2012 5:31 PM CDT

A Child Minder device on a key chain.
A Child Minder device on a key chain.

A car seat monitor. (Source: carseatmonitor.com)
A car seat monitor. (Source: carseatmonitor.com)

Baby Reminder smartphone app.
Baby Reminder smartphone app.

LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) - Last weeks heat was a tragic reminder of how dangerous this weather can be. A nine-month-old died after being left in a car for hours. Police say the father forgot that the child was in the car.

With temperatures expected to be in the triple digits, it does not take long for the inside of your car to feel like a broiler. There is help for parents.

A company called Baby Alert has invented a $70 alarm called the Child Minder, the device that tells you if you leave a child behind.

Heather Bingham, a mother of 3 kids age 3 and under, says if it works, it might be worthwhile.

"It could definitely be something that could help some days, when everything's crazy, and can keep you alerted," said Bingham.

The Child Minder is a clip you put on your child's car seat strap. Once the baby is strapped in, a transmitter sends a signal to your keychain.

The keychain starts beeping when you walk away, telling you your baby is still strapped in his seat.

Another gadget is the Cars-N-Kids car seat monitor. Using a special smartphone app and Bluetooth cell phone technology, the monitor sends an alert to the parent if the child leaves the seat or when a child is still in the car seat five minutes after the vehicle has stopped moving. This device costs $60.

Another tactic, an app on your smartphone called the Baby Reminder. You set your drive hours on the app, once your drive is over, the alarm makes the sound of baby laughing. The baby reminder app is free.

Some other tips:

-Keep a teddy bear or other stuffed animal in the car seat when it is empty. When you put your child in the seat, move the animal to the front passenger seat, to remind you that your baby's on board.

-Ask your child's babysitter or daycare provider to always phone you promptly if your child is not dropped off as scheduled.

-Seat your younger (or quieter) child behind the front passenger seat, where they are most likely to catch your eye.

by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 9:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 9:32 AM
8 moms liked this

I am thinking that if you aren't responsible enough to remember your child is in the car with you then no gadget is going to help.....you shouldn't be having kids in the first place.

bookmommy
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 9:33 AM
2 moms liked this

Exactly. So now these irresponsible parents that use the gadgets can blame technology when it fails. Not themselves..

Quoting yourspecialkid:

I am thinking that if you aren't responsible enough to remember your child is in the car with you then no gadget is going to help.....you shouldn't be having kids in the first place.

illegallyblonde
by Lawyerupbeeches on Jun. 28, 2012 at 9:58 AM
1 mom liked this
Hmmmm. I wonder how many people intentionally leave the kids in the car?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
joyfree
by Silver Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 9:58 AM
5 moms liked this

Well, I think if it saves even ONE life, that's a good thing! But really, I don't think I could forget that I had my child in the back seat...confused

o0orange0o
by Melani on Jun. 28, 2012 at 10:11 AM
2 moms liked this
I don't either, but I can see how a new mom suffering from postpartum depression or psychosis might.

Quoting joyfree:

Well, I think if it saves even ONE life, that's a good thing! But really, I don't think I could forget that I had my child in the back seat...confused

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
joyfree
by Silver Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 10:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes, of course you are right...

What has bothered me is that it seems when a poor person has done this, they are jailed and villified, but when someone with status has done it, they are somehow held to a different standard.  I think that stinks...

It's hard to prove whether it's intentional or not, I know...

Quoting o0orange0o:

I don't either, but I can see how a new mom suffering from postpartum depression or psychosis might.

Quoting joyfree:

tweety101149
by Platinum Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 10:50 AM
1 mom liked this

OMG.., I cannot imagine a parent leaving a child in the car.  They need reminders?   Give me a break.  It sounds like it's the not my fault...cry again.  School Bus drivers and the aids (if there is one), parents, grandparents.., there is no excuse.  Stop looking for  ways to not be responsible for your carelessness. Am I missing sommething here?

butterfly on headlynda  

Bieg9093
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 11:04 AM
4 moms liked this

If the way your brain works completely negates the need for reminders of even the absolute most important things, then bully for you.  I have personally never forgotten my kids in the car, or anywhere else for that matter.  But I know my brain has the potential to make the kind of very tragic mistake that other moms have made.  All it takes is a touch of the ADD and an unexpected change in a hectic schedule.  Sleep deprivation certainly wouldn't help matters any.

GoddessNDaRuff
by Silver Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Quoting joyfree:

I've done it. and really I don't see how I did it because I had to get my oldest out the backseat but completely forgot my youngest. I was in the store before it clicked and I ran back to get him out the car. He was a newborn when it happened. I felt so bad. Luckily in was just in there the five minutes it took to walk across the parking lot into the store and back.

joyfree
by Silver Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Thank God!!! I'm just lucky I never did, actually!

Quoting GoddessNDaRuff:

Quoting joyfree:

I've done it. and really I don't see how I did it because I had to get my oldest out the backseat but completely forgot my youngest. I was in the store before it clicked and I ran back to get him out the car. He was a newborn when it happened. I felt so bad. Luckily in was just in there the five minutes it took to walk across the parking lot into the store and back.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)