Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Obamacare Stands & Now We Have to Pay Other People's Medical Bills - What do you think of Obamacare?

Posted by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 5:49 PM
  • 108 Replies

Obamacare Stands & Now We Have to Pay Other People's Medical Bills

Posted by Jenny Erikson on June 28, 2012

supreme courtThe Supreme Court announced its decision on whether or not to turn over part or all of Obamacare. There have been rumors all week that Chief Justice John Roberts would issue the majority opinion, which led many (myself included) to hope that meant the individual mandate would be repealed.

Liberals have cited the Commerce Clause for the constitutionality of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (such a misnomer), which requires all Americans to purchase health insurance, or pay an annual fine. Because apparently the Commerce Clause isn’t just about regulating commerce, but compelling it. Or something.

Anyway, because Justice Roberts looked to be writing the ruling, and he typically votes Conservative, you can imagine the shock when it broke that he sided with the liberals in a 5-4 vote declaring that Obamacare stands. Say what now? It stands? With the individual mandate? And Roberts voted for it?

Sort of.

The court ruled that Obamacare could stand, but not on the Commerce Clause. It’s now officially a tax. Yup, Obama has levied the largest tax increase on the middle class in American history. Thanks, Mr. President! Even after the ruling was announced, Obama was still peddling the “you can keep your plan” lie.

But, but, but ... Why should I have to pay a tax for someone else’s benefit? I pay for insurance and co-pays, why should I pay for yours too? Well, people pay taxes all the time for other people’s benefits. For example -- taxes pay for the fire and police departments, but if your house never catches fire or you’re never the victim of a crime, that’s tax money you paid for someone else’s benefit. People that don’t have kids or don’t take advantage of the public education system aren’t exempt from paying taxes for schools.

I see now how it’s totally kosher to tax the middle class to pay other people’s medical bills. So now that we’ve established the constitutionality of Congress to force Americans to buy a product, and call it a tax, what else will they tax us with?

Will we have to buy Smart Cars for the ‘collective good’ of the environment? What about juicers, because juicing is so healthy? You don’t have to use your juicer, but you sure as heck have to buy one. Since our health care costs are spiraling out of control, it’s probably wise to make healthy food choices, so let’s impose a steak and arugula tax. Michelle Obama will be all over that one.

These scenarios may sound ridiculous, but where is the line? Whether you label it a fee or a tax, the government is forcing Americans to purchase a product whether they want it or not. When does it end?

I'm going to take a wild guess and say it ends November 6, 2012.

What do you think of Obamacare? What does this ruling mean for you?

by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 5:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 5:55 PM
30 moms liked this

I hate the title to this post.

We already PAY for the cost of the uninsured and those who receive PA.

MorganTho
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 5:56 PM
13 moms liked this
I believe we should have universal healthcare. I don't think this is the answer but Its a step in the right direction.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LovelyDayz
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 6:01 PM
3 moms liked this

I believe everyone should have health care no matter what. As far as other ppl paying for the cost of their medical bill, I understand the frustration. If I have it, I will be glad to help. Well that's just me though.

terpmama
by Silver Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 6:07 PM
9 moms liked this
We already pay the cost of the uninsured... Not only in higher costs to us but also in hospitals closing which means fewer providers, linger waits and less availability of care (that's right costs that aren't monetary)...

This is the same as mandating auto insurance... No one argues with that one
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jun. 28, 2012 at 6:21 PM
8 moms liked this

When HAVEN'T we had to pay others' medical bills? The uninsured, the under-insured, the folks who defer proper maintenance and preventative care...we pay and have paid for all these folks, well before the initiation of the ACA-

rfurlongg
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 6:23 PM
6 moms liked this
Yep. That was my first thought.

I do think several things need to be tweaked, but overall I am glad it was upheld.

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

I hate the title to this post.

We already PAY for the cost of the uninsured and those who receive PA.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stephanie329
by Platinum Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 6:24 PM
4 moms liked this
Since we are already paying others' med bills I see little point in bringing that up.

Glad it passed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katy_kay08
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 6:24 PM
5 moms liked this

We already paid other people's medical bills, now they may be able to get the preventative care they need that will eliminate the high cost hospital stays and emergency room visits.  

ReginaStar
by Gold Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 6:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Your already paying them only your paying insane ER amts.

joyfree
by Silver Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 6:30 PM
4 moms liked this

This post title was made to get the hate flowing, obviously. Thanks to you ladies replies before mine. I'm sure it's going to get ugly in here REALLY soon, though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)