Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

What age would you let your daughter get acrylic nails?  Do you think there should be a min. age requirement?  If so what would it be?  

This evening while I was getting a pedicure a gentleman came into the nail salon with his young grand daughter and asked for a full set of nails for her.  She was possibly 7, could have been younger.  

Too young?  

by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 9:18 PM
Replies (61-64):
OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2012 at 10:09 AM

7 is too young for acrylic nails.  I would let my 17 year old do it, but she'd be responsible for the upkeep and for paying for that maintenance.  She's lucky though.  She went and got a manicure with her Grandmother the day before her Senior pictures were taken and I thought that she had gotten acrylic nails, but nope!  They were her own.  Lucky girl!

I have warned her that if she gets them, that her nails will not be the same for a good 3 to 4 months while they grow out again.  I used to have them, but got tired of the maintenance and price of the upkeep.

rfurlongg
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:12 AM
Imo, too young. Acrylics ruin natural nail beds not to mention the chemicals inhaled while getting them done and eventually taken off.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LadyT78758
by Member on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:21 AM

OMG yes 7 is too young, that drill hurts.  LOL  I would only allow it for special occasions...wedding, prom but only if she understood that is was a one time thing and we are not airbrushing, nail art or jewelry.

girl giving flower

jlo1313
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:50 AM

As my mother said to me when I was young: "when you can pay for them yourself"

I didn't get acrylic nails until I was 24, then I did so much damage to my beautiful natural nails that I suffered 3 months of growing them out to get rid of the ridges.  My real nails are so much easier and more beautiful than any fake nail job I have seen. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)