Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Navy causes a "sky quake" over San Diego!

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 1:02 AM
  • 9 Replies

I'd never heard of a "sky quake" before today!

MILITARY: Navy says it caused mysterious 'skyquake'

After an initial couldn't-have-been-us denial, it turns out it was the military's fault after all.

A Navy spokesman confirmed late Friday that two Navy F/A-18 fighter jets went "supersonic," rattling doors and windows ---- and nerves ---- like an earthquake along San Diego County's coastline about 12:45 p.m. Friday.

The jets were showing off for about 2,000 family members and invited guests of sailors aboard the Carl Vinson during a daylong family cruise, said Lt. Aaron Kakiel, a spokesman for Naval Air Forces Pacific, at North Island Air Station.

"Those two aircraft went supersonic about 35 miles from the coast," Kakiel said. "Usually you don't hear the side booms travel that far. It was kind of surprising to us."

And that surprise led to initial denials, but then officials looked closer, he said. 

"Sorry for the bad information, and sorry for the inconvenience for people," Kakiel said.

People across North County reported the rattling, but confusion as to what happened followed. Earthquake-tracking systems didn't report any seismic activity, said a geophysicist with the National Earthquake Information Center.

The event bore the hallmarks of a sonic boom, and military officials said they knew of no aircraft that were operating at supersonic speed in the region. One expert said there was evidence that the shaking came from an extreme atmospheric tremor called a "skyquake."

The first report of earthquakelike activity in North County came in at 12:43 p.m., said Bruce Presgrave of the U.S. Geological Survey, National Earthquake Information Center. More reports followed from people who noticed structural shaking in Del Mar, Oceanside, Carlsbad, Escondido and elsewhere.

The information center recorded no earthquake activity at the time people reported feeling the disturbances, Presgrave said. But he said that a sonic boom could have produced the phenomenon.

A sonic boom is a thunderlike sound associated with atmospheric disturbances created when an object moves faster than the speed of sound (about 770 mph).

No aviation activity that would result in a sonic boom had been reported to the information center, Presgrave said.

Military officials from Miramar Marine Corps Air Station to Camp Pendleton to the U.S. Navy all fielded calls from curious media, and all said they knew of nothing going on to cause a big boom or shaking.

So the shaking may have been a "skyquake," recorded Friday by microphones near Miramar Marine Corps Air Station, according to Kristoffer Walker, a project scientist for Scripps Institution of Oceanography in San Diego.

Military activity in designated zones at least 50 miles off the coast can cause a skyquake, or atmospheric tremor, which can rattle windows and created the accompanying sound that some residents reported hearing, Walker said in an email.

Certain atmospheric conditions, such as winds blowing toward San Diego County at more than 100 mph, can carry a loud, low-frequency noise far inland, bouncing the sound waves between the ocean and the fast-moving wind to rattle windows.

A similar event shook San Diegans' windows about 9 a.m. April 12, according to Walker.

While skyquakes are caused by sound, the frequencies are often too low for humans to hear, according to Walker.

On nctimes.com, Facebook and Twitter, speculation among commentators about possible causes ranged from secret military projects to a meteor or an incursion into local airspace by aliens.

by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 1:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Aichia
by Member on Jun. 30, 2012 at 1:05 AM
Lol, talk about crapping your pants. Had that happen once near an air show when I was a kid, blew out all the single pained windows in the near by houses.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissElissa21
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Interesting!

EmmasMom0305
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2012 at 1:29 AM

That happened at Fort Lewis a few years ago. I about peed my pants when I heard it.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Jun. 30, 2012 at 2:39 AM
This post made me sad...

I used to live 5 blocks from that pier in the photo... I miss Oceanside.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
futureshock
by Ruby Member on Jun. 30, 2012 at 11:48 AM
1 mom liked this

These used to happen all of the time when I was a kid.

SONIC BOOM!

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jun. 30, 2012 at 11:56 AM

I remember this happening often while growing up in San Diego.

I'm not really sure why this is news, other than the initial denial?

I almost..............almost........miss home some times.

gdiamante
by Silver Member on Jun. 30, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Yesterday was one of those days where there was nothing local to talk about except that and the heat. (I produce a TV newscast in SD and believe me, it was an AWFUL news day.)

It was just a weird thing because for hours after it happened, no one knew what it was and everyone was asking about it. When a Scripps researcher called it a "sky quake" our senior editor didn't believe me!

Quoting FromAtoZ:

I remember this happening often while growing up in San Diego.

I'm not really sure why this is news, other than the initial denial?

I almost..............almost........miss home some times.

steffers96
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 1:28 AM

We were IN San Diego at Sea World when this occurred and we were SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO freaked out, we had NO idea what was going on, and even the people that worked there said that, although the airport and Marine base was nearby, even THEY didn't know what the sound was, but let me say, it scared every single person that was at Sea World with us!!!

gsprofval
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 9:24 AM

It's called a sonic boom and sounds scary at first, but it's ok.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured