Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why Obamacare is one of the BEST things to happen in the U.S. in a long time!!!

Posted by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 5:53 PM
  • 25 Replies
5 moms liked this

There is so much misinformation out there about Obamacare (thanks in large part to Faux News, Rush Limpbone, & other republitard pundits).   So here are some of the FACTS you should know:

*If you are already insured through your employer, the new act won't affect the coverage you already have.   OH -- unless you have a pre-existing condition your insurer has previously refused to cover -- now they'll have to.  Or if your insurer has refused to pay for preventative diagnostic tests, like mammograms.   Now they have to cover those, too.   And if you -- or your child -- is diagnosed with cancer -- they cannot drop you, or refuse to cover you.   Is anyone actually selfish enough to think these things are bad??

*Obamacare is NOT going cause tax increases.   The main mandate is that all Americans will be required to purchase health insurance.   Kinda like we all have to have car insurance.    Did that cause tax increases?   Ummmm....NO.   It didn't.   Besides, those with insurance are already paying for the uninsured -- why do you think healthcare premiums & co-pays are so ridiculously expensive now?

*Healthcare costs should eventually begin to come down.   Those of us who are now insured won't have to pay $25 for an Advil while in the hospital anymore (making up for the previously uninsured who don't pay anything) -- because EVERYONE will be insured.

*Medicare costs for seniors are actually going to go DOWN, especially when it comes to prescriptions.   Because of the cost savings, Medicare is also projected to be solvent for at least 8 more years than currently projected.

*It's been 5 years since Romney put a very similar plan into place in Massachusetts, & that state now has the LOWEST rate of uninsured -- 98% of adults and 99.5% of children in Massachusetts have health insurance!!   AND 88% of doctors say there has been no change in the quality of care.

*This is NOT going to cause waiting periods for care, and people are still going to be able to choose their own physicians and coverage -- just as you do now.

All of the republican arguments against Obamacare are nothing more than election-year fear-mongering ---   and further proof that the republican party doesn't give a SHIT about anyone making less than $250,000/year.

by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 5:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 6:15 PM

I want to like this post. I feel like it would be a better post with info and sites to reference. = )

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Jul. 1, 2012 at 6:23 PM

clappingThank you for explaining this so clearly! You have done an excellent job!

And what I don;t get about Romney- why was this plan so awesome when it was HIS plan when he was govenor but now it's a really suckie plan (according to Romney) now that he is a presidential elect? It's more a rhetorical question BTW.

grandmab125
by Gold Member on Jul. 1, 2012 at 7:07 PM
3 moms liked this

Oh my God, get you head out of your butt.  You have no facts to back up your ASSumptions. 

For one thing this bill has cut $500 billion from Medicare.  How does that help senior citizens, when more and more doctors will chose not to accept Medicare patients at all, and drop the ones they already have?  In fact a lot of doctors already don't take on new Medicare patients, because the reimbursement from the gov't is so low, and the time to get reimbursed can take up to six months.  I know my internist will no longer take on new patients who have Medicare.  There is a thing called Medigap insurance that people can get that pays for Rxs that Medicare doesn't....it has existed for years.

Did you not read the post on here about all of the hidden taxes in this bill?  Just some of them are:  If you or your husband have what is called a "cadillac" insurance policy (which is a really good one, which is determined that way by the gov't), you will be taxed extra for it.  There is a complicated tax scheme on small businesses where if they have say 49 employees (under the magic 50), a couple of part-time employees, and one of those full time employees takes a tax credit on his personal income taxes for health insurance costs, then that throws the company into the 50+ bracket, and the company gets taxed,....which could be as much as $42,000 for what the gov't considers one employee over 49, even though it really isn't.  Then there is the tax on medical supplies, equipment, etc.....things like an artificial hip or knee replacement thingie, heart valves, the machines people (including asthmatic kids) use to deliver meds to their lungs, syringes for diabetics, hearing aids, crutches, walkers, diabetes glucose testing devices, and on and on....any kind of a medical device.

We already have a dr shortage in this country of about 150,000 doctors.  The gov't now is going to dump something like 30 million people into the system all at once, and you honestly think it won't add to waiting times?  Get real.  And you won't be able to chose any dr you want, because depending on where you live, most drs don't take Medicaid, which is exactly where most of those 30 million will end up.  So who do they go to?  They'll still end up in the ER .

Your statement about "requiring car insurance didn't raise taxes", is just downright dumb.  Having or not having car insurance has nothing to do with the taxes we pay.  Millions of people don't have car insurance, because they live where they can depend on public transportation.  People drive without car insurance all of the time, that's why most insurance companies offer extra insurance that you can buy to cover the uninsured jerk that hits you. 

Lordgodempress
by Member on Jul. 1, 2012 at 7:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree and I think this will help bring the US up to date with the rest of the first world

_Kissy_
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 7:12 PM
Because it's so much easier to allow others to think for them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SFerber
by Member on Jul. 1, 2012 at 7:14 PM

right out of the play book...

1boy1girlmama
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 7:14 PM
5 moms liked this

I don't care about the taxes and such, I am just happy my daughter who has cerebral palsy cannot be denied health coverage because of a pre-existing condition. That in itself is a huge victory.

trippyhippy
by Gold Member on Jul. 1, 2012 at 8:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting 1boy1girlmama:

I don't care about the taxes and such, I am just happy my daughter who has cerebral palsy cannot be denied health coverage because of a pre-existing condition. That in itself is a huge victory.

I'm with you.

dustinsmom1
by JENN on Jul. 1, 2012 at 8:28 PM
3 moms liked this

Only one thing to say about this post.....

dustinsmom1
by JENN on Jul. 1, 2012 at 8:29 PM

You will only be covered for minor things, anything major will be paid for out of your pocket.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured