Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Violent US storm of June 29, 2012 (Image)

Posted by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 7:25 PM
  • 5 Replies

Shelf cloud from the developing derecho in Chicago on June 29, 2012. Image Credit: NWS Meteorologist Samuel Shea

On June 29, 2012, a violent wind storm system – called a derecho – advanced eastward across Indiana, Ohio, West Virginia, Virginia, the District of Columbia, Maryland, and in parts of New Jersey. It produced hurricane force winds that gusted as high as 91 miles per hour in Fort Wayne, Indiana. Millions of people were left without power as trees snapped on power lines. The Storm Prediction Center (SPC), reported nearly 800 wind reports from this derecho. Virginia Governor Robert F. McDonnell declared a state of emergency Saturday, June 30, 2012 – which also affected Washington DC – after the storm devastated the region. In fact, McDonnell announced that the derecho that pushed into Virginia made it the largest non-hurricane power outage in state history. As of now, at least 13 people are known to have died from this destructive storm system, with six deaths reported in Virginia, two in New Jersey, two in Maryland, one in Kentucky, one in Washington D.C., and one in Ohio. As of 5 p.m. EDT on June 30, 2012 (21 UTC), at least 1.6 million people were still without power, which is bad news because residents in these areas are experiencing hot temperatures over 90°F. Check out these images and videos from this destructive and deadly derecho event.

Images and Videos at link

http://earthsky.org/earth/videos-and-images-violent-us-storm-of-june-29-2012

by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 7:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mlg1989
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2012 at 7:29 PM
I'm in MD and they were pretty intense
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stephanie329
by Platinum Member on Jul. 1, 2012 at 7:35 PM
We have no power and won't until the 5th. Luckily, my mom didn't lose her's. We're in Ohio and it's a disaster.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
motherslove82
by Silver Member on Jul. 1, 2012 at 7:43 PM
Man, that is crazy. It's a pretty cool looking picture, though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 1, 2012 at 7:45 PM

And that is why I wasn't online yesterday. We have power and our cable bundle back on thank goodness. In Northern Virginia

Mom2Just1
by Gold Member on Jul. 1, 2012 at 8:28 PM

I live in WV and we lost power for 36 hours. We still have hundreds of thousands out though.  We had over 100 degree temps and my husband was so worried about me because I am pregnant with no air.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers   Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN