Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting a full time job or do you consider it "part time"

Posted by   + Show Post

I have been noticing more and more of people taking on the role of parenthood to the "Part time" extent. I'm a stay at home full time Mom. I used to work so I know what it's like to have a child or children in a daycare setting. I don't want you all to think that I don't know both sides of the feeling when I bring up this topic. Due to medical reasons and finally getting a grip at the financial aspect of actually working a full time job there are reasons my husband and I thought I should quit. I call it a Full Time Stay at home Mom because I no longer use day care, my child isn't in daycare or preschool ( unfortunately where we live preschool is based on income and well my husband didn't make the cut for her to go preschool - that being said it's kind of sad that you make enough money to be considered too much to quailify for your child to get early education.), and I don't work so I take it serioulsy about being here for my family if they need me.

I noticed yesterday evening my family and I were at "Target" shopping. I also have this strict rule that when we leave the house our 5 year old daughter must stay with us or at least one adult while we are shopping. We do not let her go off by herself. 1. It's dangerous, you really don't know about people these days. 2. She's 5. Enough said there. Well as were were rounding out of an aisle to continue further in the store. There were 2 children one around the age of maybe 7 and the other maybe 5. No mother in site. They were rolling/playing catch in the store. After almost tripping the woman in front of me ( which she had an infant in her cart also) my husband stopped the closest boy and said " You all shouldn't be doing that". No apology came from the boy only a shrug at his shoulders. My husband continued in a stern voice " Where's the parent or adult you're with?" The boy says, " She's at the hair salon." As my husband bit his tongue, we walked off and continued our shopping. As we reached the fresh grocery section he lets an employee know what's going on. The employee told him that she already had an complaint about it and when she went back the first time the boys ran off. When she went back there again the kids ran off from her again.

People want to complain about children these days. I understand that I read it everyday on people comments on yahoo, facebook and ect ... But really the start of a childs habit comes from the parent or parents. I know I have friends that are single mothers, I'm not downing the people that are working/ busting their butts out there for what they want their children to have. Everyone I know what's something better than they had when they were children and if you say you don't you're lying. It's not about how much money you make it's about the little things in life that make a difference. Watching a TV show with your child or reading a book or playing with toys are what you children are going to remember, not blowing them off to get your hair done. Most people, not all, that complain are part of the ones that aren't watching their kids. There's a time in your life when you give up that "me" time to be a parent. Being a parent means giving up alot of the "me" time for a while. Not saying you won't get it back, but there really is a time and place for that happen. If you can't get a sitter, or if your partner can't watch the child or children then maybe just maybe you shouldn't in this case get your hair done, or get the mani/pedi you wanted. I know boys are different from girls to entertain, but you could make a compromise. There's always an option, it's not life or death situation.

I know this is long, but I just had to get it out there. I know it won't make difference on people, but you never know. I take my part serioulsy, yes it aggrevates me when I see parents do the things they do, but I'm not in their shoes. I don't know what their life intales. All I can say is appreciate the time you have them and instill the manners and behavior you expect them to have. Without that children will keep being the way they are with no manners. Please and thank you, excuse me, Yes mam and No Sir, can go along way when speaking with people. 

by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 8:09 AM
Replies (41-50):
LindaClement
by Linda on Jul. 3, 2012 at 12:55 PM

I think from a different perspective, completely.

Having children is a lifestyle, not a job.

I've never heard of anyone talking about dog ownership (or horse ownership) as a 'job' --part-time or otherwise. It's a very strange way to look at close family relationships.

Does anyone ever think 'being a daughter is a full-time job'? 

It's like being married: you are, or you are not. There isn't any 'just on Wednesdays, for a couple of hours' aspect to it.

free1
by ~FreeSpirit~ on Jul. 3, 2012 at 12:56 PM

I think that parenting is a full time job, with benefits.

MeAndTommyLee
by Gold Member on Jul. 3, 2012 at 3:27 PM

I love been a mom more than making money.  I realized a long time ago that society is all about separating families by creating a country that is not uncommon that both parents need to work to survive. That said, when we married 23  years ago, we took it slow to save the money for the things we needed like a house, and the needs and money for the responsibilities of keeping it up properly.  We lived in apartments and paid our dues until we could afford things that were not  beyond our means and did not live on `credit'.  This lifestyle is not for everyone,  but we achieved our goals within the confines of me being a SAHM for much of our marriage.  We don't feel sanctimonious about it either.  We stuck to the plans we made together before we married.

Mom2Just1
by Gold Member on Jul. 3, 2012 at 4:24 PM

I don't considering parenting a job.  Weird when people do.  I work, my husband works.  We both are full time involved in our children's lives.  Neither one of us wanted to stay home.  

Daisypath Anniversary tickers   Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Shelley927
by Member on Jul. 3, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Beyond a full time job....at a job you at least get to come home away from the place of employment , you get vacation pay , sick pay and can trade with others if the schedule doesnt fit right....a parent doesnt get paid vacation of sick and we sure cant trade days or hours....we dont get to come in late .....granted our pay as a prent is watching them grow and blossom into respectable and responsible young adults......the greatest reward is knowing that they one day will get to have the same experience we did as first time parents ......

Ziva65
by Gold Member on Jul. 3, 2012 at 6:14 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting LindaClement:

I think from a different perspective, completely.

Having children is a lifestyle, not a job.

I've never heard of anyone talking about dog ownership (or horse ownership) as a 'job' --part-time or otherwise. It's a very strange way to look at close family relationships.

Does anyone ever think 'being a daughter is a full-time job'? 

It's like being married: you are, or you are not. There isn't any 'just on Wednesdays, for a couple of hours' aspect to it.

I agree. A job sort of implies you can leave that whenever you want, that one "clocks in and clocks out" even if salaried... here- it is for life. It doesn't start and stop, it doesn't stop at age 18, and it's 24/7. :)

disneymom2two
by Member on Jul. 3, 2012 at 6:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

I have a hard time with our Silverado since I'm not usually the one driving it, but I take the time to adjust my parking so I am within the lines... and straight :P 

When I have the Silverado, I park further away from the store because I do have a harder time parking in tight spots with it but I also adjust until its right.  

disneymom2two
by Member on Jul. 3, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

I love been a mom more than making money. 

So because I choose to work outside the home, I love money more than being a mom?  Don't think so.

Stephanie329
by Platinum Member on Jul. 3, 2012 at 7:12 PM
I don't get the point either, it's all over the place.

OP, where does the parenting part time/SAHM/WOHM/Walmart story come together?

Quoting AMBG825:

Parenting is a full time job. Whether or not you do the job has little to do with whether you work or stay home. That whole portion of your post was just a red herring. There are plenty of WOHM that take their job as a parent very seriously and do a tremendous job raising their children. There are also plenty of SAHM's that shirk their duties as a parent and don't really raise their children.

I don't know what your point in starting the mommy wars was.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AMBG825
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 7:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I took it as her having a low opinion of working mothers. It had nothing to do with the story. Just as an aside for her opinion and she didn't even know if the woman in question was a WOHM or a SAHM. She made the assumption that she was a bad parent because she was a working mom.

Quoting Stephanie329:

I don't get the point either, it's all over the place.

OP, where does the parenting part time/SAHM/WOHM/Walmart story come together?

Quoting AMBG825:

Parenting is a full time job. Whether or not you do the job has little to do with whether you work or stay home. That whole portion of your post was just a red herring. There are plenty of WOHM that take their job as a parent very seriously and do a tremendous job raising their children. There are also plenty of SAHM's that shirk their duties as a parent and don't really raise their children.

I don't know what your point in starting the mommy wars was.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured