Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

RIP Andy Griffith

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 11:25 AM
  • 10 Replies

(Reuters) - Actor Andy Griffith, whose portrayal of a small-town sheriff made "The Andy Griffith Show" one of American television's most enduring shows, has died at his North Carolina home, television station WITN reported on Tuesday.

The television station quoted a longtime friend as saying that the 86-year-old actor died at his home on Roanoke Island. The Dare County Sheriff's dispatcher would say only that an ambulance was called to Griffith's residence but would not comment further.

Griffith created another memorable character, the folksy defense lawyer in "Matlock" in the 1980s and '90s, but it was his portrayal of Sheriff Andy Taylor on the "The Andy Griffith Show" in the 1960s that gave him a place in U.S. television history.

The show portrayed life in the friendly, slow-moving fictional town of Mayberry, North Carolina, which was widely believed to have been based on Griffith's own hometown, Mount Airy, North Carolina.

(Reporting by Bill Trott and Jane Sutton; Editing by Eric Beech)

by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 11:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wenchmommy381
by Wenchy on Jul. 3, 2012 at 11:36 AM

BUMP!

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 3, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Sad news, he lived a good long life.

katy_kay08
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh, that makes me sad.  I loved him.  

PhyllisGB
by Member on Jul. 3, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Same age as my mom, who has dementia now.  Glad she won't be aware that he died.  :*(

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 11:46 AM

I will always cherish the memories of watching Matlock with my grandparents.

free1
by ~FreeSpirit~ on Jul. 3, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Oh my.  I liked Andy Griffith (he was one of the 'down home folks)'  I still watch the old shows Matlock, even til' this day.  May he rest in peace.

punky3175
by Punky on Jul. 3, 2012 at 12:50 PM

This makes me sad.  :-(

I used to love watching 'The Andy Griffith Show' reruns with my mom.  She had our pekingnese trained to howl every time that whistling came on.

Raintree
by Ruby Member on Jul. 3, 2012 at 1:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Awhile back when George Lindsey passed away (you'll remember him as Goober Pyle), Andy released a statement that he had just spoken with George (who had been a highschool coach and history teacher before acting) a few days before his passing- this is what he said:

"George Lindsey was my friend. I had great respect for his talent and his human spirit. In recent years, we spoke often by telephone. Our last conversation was a few days ago. We would talk about our health, how much we missed our friends who passed before us and usually about something funny.

"I am happy to say that as we found ourselves in our eighties, we were not afraid to say, 'I love you.' That was the last thing George and I had to say to each other. 'I love you.'

"George often told me his fondest memories of his life in show business were the years he spent working on 'The Andy Griffith Show' and 'Mayberry R.F.D.' They were for me, too."

And if I could tell Andy anything today, it would be a heartfelt thankyou- for all the laughs, lessons and genuine entertainment.

JonJon
by Ruby Member on Jul. 3, 2012 at 2:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Awww...he was multi-talented and entertaining us for many wonderful years. 

I loved it when Andy played the guitar.

illegallyblonde
by Lawyerupbeeches on Jul. 3, 2012 at 2:37 PM
Sad:-(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured