Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Happy white peoples independence day...

Posted by   + Show Post

Quote from Chris RockHappy white people's independence day, black people were still slaves but I'm sure they enjoyed the fireworks*do you get where the sentiment is coming from?

Chris Rock may have been aiming for a joke, but his July 4 tweet is creating controversy instead.

The comedian and producer of the FX show “Totally Biased with W. Kamau Bell” sent a message to his followers that said: “Happy white peoples independence day the slaves weren’t free but I’m sure they enjoyed fireworks.”

Some of followers apparently got the joke, with Don Cheadle replying with a simple “Haha,” MSNBC reported. Cheadle later defended Rock by writing, “Where exactly is the bigotry in that joke? Who is the victim? 18th century whites?” Some even chided Rock back, like David Burge who responded, “Good one! I bet your Guatemalan house staff got a good chuckle.”

But many others didn’t find it so funny. His twitter account was bombarded with angry messages and others telling him they would boycott his films for what they considered an unpatriotic comment. Jeff Schreiber, managing editor of the conservative blog America’s Right, claimed that “for @chrisrock to indict the US as he did is inappropriate at best.”

Schreiber also tweeted:

“Slavery existed for 2000yrs before America. We eradicated it in 100yrs. We now have a black POTUS. #Go (expletive) Yourself”

As the Huffington Post pointed out, Rock is no stranger to racially charged commentary. His 1996 special “Bring the Pain” featured a bit called “Niggas vs. Black People,” though Rock told 60 Minutes he has not performed it since then as “some people that were racist thought they had license to say n—–.”

Rock didn’t seem too bothered by the mess he created. His following tweet was about a potential trade for the New York Knicks. But his twitter followers wouldn’t let it go too easily. Lincolntf tweeted to Rock, “White men trading black men amuses you these days, eh?”

Do you think Chris Rock’s tweet was funny or did he go too far?

by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 12:38 PM
Replies (241-249):
FrogSalad
by Sooze on Jul. 7, 2012 at 2:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I think some people need to look up the word hyperbole.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

It was merely sarcastic commentary with truth and humor

Quoting DixieL:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

I don't think he said to not celebrate it

Quoting DixieL:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Were there still slaves on July 5, 1776...after 'Independence day'?

Ok

Quoting DixieL:

There are no slaves now. This holiday is for all of us no matter what our skin color is

All of my life which has been quite a while we have all had fun celebrating July 4th and then all of a sudden Chris Rock decides to say it's only a holiday for white people. If you believe that then why are we celebrating Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving was for the Indians and Pilgrims. There are still Indians around but not Pilgrims. We are descendants of Pilgrims just like AA's are descendants of slaves. So if July 4th is a white holiday because AA people are descendants of slaves then we no right to celebrate Thanksgiving because we are not Pilgrims We are just descendants of Pilgrims. Only Indian people should celebrate Thanksgiving

From what I heard he did. He said that it is a white peoples holiday. That's the way I took it

How paramount the future is to the present when one is surrounded by children.  Charles Darwin

marchantmom06
by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 3:02 PM
As I said in the other post.....

This is why racisim is alive and kicking today. Not the white folks, but the ones making EVERYTHING about race.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JonJon
by Ruby Member on Jul. 7, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Quoting DixieL:

Quoting JonJon:

Quoting DixieL:

There are no slaves now. This holiday is for all of us no matter what our skin color is

Not in the, "way down souf in de land o' cotton" sense, but there are plenty of slaves in the, "keep 'em poor and uneducated and impaired with the drugs and alcohol we make sure there's plenty of in their communities so we can make them work for next to nothing" slaves in this country.

I don't think that happens now. That also happened with white people The rich people try to get all people to work for slave wages. That's why it is a good thing they set a minimum wage. Even that isn't much

Yes; it happens, now.  Yes, where there are no people of color to oppress, powerful white men oppress poor, ignorant white people and perpetuate negative stereotypes of people from the wrong side of the tracks meant to invalidate them and keep them thinking they can't do better than the menial labor jobs they are told is all the can ever do. 

JonJon
by Ruby Member on Jul. 7, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Quoting marchantmom06:

This is why racisim is alive and kicking today. Not the white folks, but the ones making EVERYTHING about race.

White people are 80% of the population which makes you 80% responsible for everything, including racism.  :)  At least you're not one of those saying there is no racism and blacks are just imagining it exists.

marchantmom06
by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 3:28 PM
No they don't. The other poor pitiful me 20% is what makes racisim Alive today.

Quoting JonJon:

Quoting marchantmom06:

White people are 80% of the population which makes you 80% responsible for everything, including racism.  :)  At least you're not one of those saying there is no racism and blacks are just imagining it exists.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JonJon
by Ruby Member on Jul. 7, 2012 at 3:30 PM

As long as members of the majority take no responsibility for what you do to perpetuate racism, it will always be a social issue.

Quoting marchantmom06:

Quoting JonJon:

Quoting marchantmom06:

marchantmom06
by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 3:38 PM
As long as the majority put up with the racist bullshit and constant "you owe me" attitude it will be prevalent. Maybe if people would stop screaming about race then it wouldn't be a problem, instead of BLAMING others for their own short comings.

Quoting JonJon:

As long as members of the majority take no responsibility for what you do to perpetuate racism, it will always be a social issue.

Quoting marchantmom06:

Quoting JonJon:

Quoting marchantmom06:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JonJon
by Ruby Member on Jul. 7, 2012 at 3:56 PM

As long as you continue to think and act like a racial bigot who has no idea you do or pretends you have no idea you think and act like one, you will always be one.  You have to identify and admit you have a problem before you can work to avoid the problem.  That's called the the first step to recovery.

Quoting marchantmom06:

As long as the majority put up with the racist bullshit and constant "you owe me" attitude it will be prevalent. Maybe if people would stop screaming about race then it wouldn't be a problem, instead of BLAMING others for their own short comings.

Quoting JonJon:

Quoting marchantmom06:

Quoting JonJon:

Quoting marchantmom06:

marchantmom06
by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 7:25 PM
1 mom liked this
The only racist person i see in this thread is you. You are one of he biggest bigots on this site. You have no idea about anything except blame the white person. It's all you will ever know how to do, blame blame blame, instead of to accept that maybe YOU are the problem. Not the solution.

Quoting JonJon:

As long as you continue to think and act like a racial bigot who has no idea you do or pretends you have no idea you think and act like one, you will always be one.  You have to identify and admit you have a problem before you can work to avoid the problem.  That's called the the first step to recovery.

Quoting marchantmom06:

Quoting JonJon:

Quoting marchantmom06:

Quoting JonJon:

Quoting marchantmom06:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN