Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I was in Safeway a few minutes ago and was motioned out of line to another open register. Cool. Except in the middle of ringing me up, another customer walks up from behind him and starts asking him a question about her coupon. Not just a short yes or no question but one that required follow up questions and repeated explanations. He had two choices - ask her politely to wait until he was done or turn his back on me in the middle of the transaction. He chose the latter. She had two choices - wait for him to finish or butt her ass in and demand his attention. She chose the latter. Now I am wondering, since they are both older black folks and i am a white woman, if racism had any part in their unquestionably rude behavior. I am tempted to call the manager and report it as racist but am fuming right now so wanted to wait and see what cooler heads think of the situation.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 12:53 PM
Replies (41-50):
mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 4, 2012 at 1:36 PM

White people have been in charge for many years. Allowed to run rampent the KKK would ensure that only white people were allowed to exist on this planet. that is racism.

Quoting hopealways4019:

The Kkk don't have power either. Also wouldn't be enough blacks, who would be willing, to sign up for a hate group.

Quoting mikiemom:

I disagree, I have met racist black people - they just don't commit systemic racism because they don't have the power, I doubt they would if they did because as a whole most understand how stupid it is to hate and mistrust someone based on the color of their skin.

Quoting hopealways4019:

I haven't met a racist black person yet.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

They were not discussing anything before she rudely interupted the transaction and yes, black people can be racist.

Quoting hopealways4019:

It wasn't racism, black people are not racist. It's a waste of time. They just got caught up in, what they was discussing.

raegansmom
by Member on Jul. 4, 2012 at 1:36 PM
I'm just curious, of I were to say "black people are..." or "black people are not..." would I be considered racist?

Quoting hopealways4019:

I became the spokesperson today, after reading this post. Ridiculous! Why can't we all just get along?

Quoting raegansmom:

So you are able to speak for an entire group of people? When did you become their spokesperson?

Quoting hopealways4019:

We black people, are not racist! Its a waste of time. I don't hate white people, I hate ignorant people.

Quoting doomshroom:

that's complete bullshit. even you saying that black people can't be racist, is racist.

that being said, OP, I think they're probably just rude people. It's hard to say if it was racism, but even if it was, it's probably best to just let it go.

Quoting hopealways4019:

It wasn't racism, black people are not racist. It's a waste of time. They just got caught up in, what they was discussing.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lindilouwho82
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 1:39 PM

How would a black woman react to two white women behaving this way toward her?

To answer OP's original question, I plead the Fifth.

godsgirl26
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 1:39 PM
1 mom liked this
When are we going to be done with the *racist* crap ? Oh my gosh.
I think the lady was rude yes but not racist lawd.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mymuneca
by Member on Jul. 4, 2012 at 1:40 PM
That's a HUGE generalization. I deal with racist black people firsthand, some from my very own family (although limited since I don't respect their views). As much as I hate to admit it any one can be racist, & I've experienced it from the black side of my family, the Mexican side, the white people I grew up with, an old Arab boyfriend's family, etc. I could go on & on.

Quoting hopealways4019:

We are not racist, we don't eat sleep, breathe hate. Its stupid

Quoting PEEK05:

What a silly statement.  Black people CAN be racist.

Quoting hopealways4019:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jul. 4, 2012 at 1:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't call it racist.

Rude, yes.  I would have said something right then and there.  She could have waited until the transactions was complete and he most certainly should have asked her to wait a moment.

Lovemusic0811
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 1:43 PM
Idk if it was racism but it was uncalled for report them...... Anyone can be rasist white black brown dont matter...... Everyone has hate for something or someone..... It would be a better world if ppl did not act so crazy and just have respect for one another
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Jul. 4, 2012 at 1:44 PM
1 mom liked this
I've had the same thing happen to me before but we were all white. I think it's rude of the customer and I think the cashier dealt with her first because people that are rude like that are more likely to escalate a situation that the cashier doesn't want to prolong or deal with any longer than necessary.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Jul. 4, 2012 at 1:47 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

I have experienced the same rude, inconsiderate behavior in the grocery store from a variet of different people.

IMO you're over thinking this. Perhaps you've read one too many race posts in here lately.

LOL. Probably.

I agree with the others. Just plain rudeness.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jul. 4, 2012 at 1:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Seriously?  One person making a sweeping generalization for the majority is not wise.  No matter what that generalization is about.

Hope, you are making a fool out of yourself.  You might want to stop.

Also, I do not go in to the store, or any where, for that matter, thinking the actions of others are due to racism.  Do people really do this?  

Interrupting a transactions and being rude does not equal racism, no matter the color of their skin.  The conversation had nothing to do with anything to indicate either party are racist.

If it bothered you so much, and I can understand that, why didn't you say something then instead of calling to complain after the fact?  I hope that you do not insinuate the incident was racist when you make your complaint.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured