Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Define "Home Cooked Meal"

Posted by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 9:52 PM
  • 72 Replies
2 moms liked this

Does it mean simply that you heated it up in your home?

Or is it more complex, as in you prepared the ingredients and then the whole meal? 

I saw a commercial for Hamburger Helper promoting it as an "easy and fast home cooked meal" ... but I would not consider any box-mix food a "home cooked meal." Sure you have to cook the meat, but then you just dump in the box of crap stir. 

It's amazing how people don't hold themselves to the standards they set for others.

by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 9:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CrazyLife1996
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 9:54 PM
1 mom liked this
I personally consider "home cooked meal " something you create completely.

Boxed dinners are semi-made meals.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommaoftwo
by Bronze Member on Jul. 4, 2012 at 9:54 PM
2 moms liked this

basic ingredients -> meal

if it is a premade, (boxed, frozen, canned) it is just as bad as fast food or take out.

at least 80% of the time

indymom72
by Member on Jul. 4, 2012 at 9:55 PM

I consider myself a "semi homemade" cook.  I make a lot of things from scratch, but take some help from the store.    Like you I don't consider hamburger helper a homecooked meal.

shadenn766
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 9:56 PM

i call it real food...lol...not a pre-packaged meal... and not hamburger helper...something thats made with real ingredients...

spaghetti...baked or fried chicken...steak...pasta dishes also veggies and dessert to compliment and round off the meal...barbecuing

shadenn766
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 9:59 PM

i agree

Quoting mommaoftwo:

if it is a premade, (boxed, frozen, canned) it is just as bad as fast food or take out.

at least 80% of the time

Lizardannie1966
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Home-made or made from scratch is not necessarily the same thing but even if it's a box of processed food, it can be a "home-cooked meal."

wickedfiress
by Kellie on Jul. 4, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Quoting mommaoftwo:

at least 80% of the time

Agreed! You can make your own "prep" stuff ahead of time for a LOT of things. Instead of having to buy a product that also includes preservatives, dyes, and who else knows what.

It's amazing how people don't hold themselves to the standards they set for others.

lga1965
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Home cooked meals are cooked from scratch, from separate ingredients and not from a box or a bag. Here's my examples: Lasagne. Make your own sauce with tomato paste and herbs,etc, simmered for a while. Then you add 2 kinds of cheese ( mozarella and cottage ,mixed with an egg and parsley), and noodles and combine them layers in a 9X12 pan, then bake. And a salad, with fresh lettuce, chopped tomatos from the garden, shredded parmesan and chopped green onions, topped with oil and vinegar dressing. 

Next: Baked chicken that has been rolled in parmesan cheese and a part of an envelop of dry Seven Seas Italian dressing and baked for about 30-35 minutes. Wild rice, boiled and simmered for about 35 minutes. Steamed broccoli ( frozen,unless you grow it in your garden or get it from a farmer's market)

Then there is the quick supper of a cheese omelet and veggies and some fruit for dessert. Or chili made with black beans, kidney beans,tomato sauce,chopped chicken ( leftovers sometimes) chopped onions and spices. You can add peppers if you like hot chili.

A long time ago, I made Hamburger Helper but I wouldn't touch that stuff with a ten foot pole now. Unhealthy! If you're short on time, make spagehetti and a salad. I use Prego pasta sauces.Whole wheat spaghetti noodles.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jul. 4, 2012 at 10:20 PM
2 moms liked this

Homecooked means you made it at home.

From scratch means that you assembled all the ingredients and formulated them into an edible meal.

Personally, I only cook from scratch. Although I do sometimes use jarred tomato sauce and boxed whole grain or vegetable noodles.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jul. 4, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Hamburger Helper is not a home cooked meal.  It is food cooked in the home. lol

When I make my meatloaf, fresh potato salad............and pineapple upside down cake, from scratch.............that's a home cooked meal.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)