Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Does it mean simply that you heated it up in your home?

Or is it more complex, as in you prepared the ingredients and then the whole meal? 

I saw a commercial for Hamburger Helper promoting it as an "easy and fast home cooked meal" ... but I would not consider any box-mix food a "home cooked meal." Sure you have to cook the meat, but then you just dump in the box of crap stir. 

It's amazing how people don't hold themselves to the standards they set for others.

by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 9:52 PM
Replies (31-40):
wickedfiress
by Kellie on Jul. 5, 2012 at 1:49 AM

Quoting Sisteract:

Oh Dog, my son eats all the bad ones: Hamburger Helper, Kraft M&C, Rice-a-Roni, Chili in a can, Ramen...he is doomed-

LOL I have some of these things in my house too. I just don't consider them "home cooked meals."   :)

It's amazing how people don't hold themselves to the standards they set for others.

Radarma
by "OneDar" on Jul. 5, 2012 at 2:45 AM

If it comes from MY kitchen, it is homemade.

WORD.

:D

PeregrineWaltz
by Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 2:50 AM

Home cooked means making it from scratch minus a few things.  Home cooked means I can use store bought pasta instead of making it from flour and eggs.  Home cooked means I can take tomato sauce from a can and spice it up, instead of starting w/ home jarred tomatoes or fresh tomatoes.  But boxed food, where the spices come in a packet and can't be identified, that is not home cooking.

mandaday
by Silver Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 3:15 AM
2 moms liked this

Unless you are making everything homemade- including the pasta, the pie crust, veggie sauces, etc, it's really not fair to criticize people who use a box mix. A shortcut is still a shortcut.

wickedfiress
by Kellie on Jul. 5, 2012 at 3:35 AM

Quoting mandaday:

Unless you are making everything homemade- including the pasta, the pie crust, veggie sauces, etc, it's really not fair to criticize people who use a box mix. A shortcut is still a shortcut.

Who is criticizing anyone?

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 4:08 AM

dishes dirty in YOUR kitchen = home cooked.

candlegal
by Judy on Jul. 5, 2012 at 5:03 AM

Made completely from scratch.  Does not come out of a box or a jar.

beliteWeight
by New Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 6:44 AM

Meal that  prepared from raw ingredients by a member of your household. 

jewjewbee
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 8:01 AM
Great post.
I would define it as cooking from a pantry with basic food items like a real potato, a bag of flour, sugar, salt, and so on.
jesusismyfriend
by Silver Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 9:22 AM
Made from scratch fresh ingredients non box meal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)