Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Texting

Posted by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 6:32 PM
  • 47 Replies

Let's talk a bit about it.

Do you do it, do you do it a lot?

Are your kids doing it?

Do you have any concerns, as a parent, over what the texting generation is experiencing?

Not sure yet where I stand, personally, but I think it is a Hot Topic and I thought it would be good to open up some dialogue on it, here, among moms.

http://teens.webmd.com/news/20120203/can-too-much-texting-make-youth-shallow

<<"Heavy texters do seem to be a little more materialistic and less concerned about inward growth," says Paul Trapnell, PhD, associate professor of psychology at the University of Winnipeg in Canada.

The frequent texting, he says, is ''weakly correlated with traits, goals, and attitudes that indicate low interest and engagement in reflective thought." Those who texted very frequently were also more concerned about wealth and image than those who did not text as often.>>

by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 6:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
1Giovanni
by Becca on Jul. 6, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Yes, I text. usually to my teen, if we text we don't fight. lol. If he calls me I usually ignore it, then text him back to see what he wanted.

My main concern that I have noticed with my son and his friends, that they don't communicate to people very well. If they could text for everything they would be very happy. lol

1Giovanni
by Becca on Jul. 6, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Oh forgot one thing...One time a girl on a bike was texting ran into my car while I was driving down the road. lol. So it could be very dangerous if they don't know when it is the right time to text.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jul. 6, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Yes, I text, but not to excess.

My son is a huge texter- he is 21, so no concerns. He has a plethora of friends and a long term GF so I do not see his interpersonal or social skills being negatively affected.

My daughter is 25 and IDK if she texts or not. She Skypes with us as she lives outside the country.

Nighttiger
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Texting is my main form of communication....mainly because I've always felt a phone call as an intrusion into a persons day. I will only call if its an emergency, otherwise I will just send a text. I text my husband, sister and dad the most. However, my number of texts do not go anywhere near their number of even 100/day (probably closest to 10/day). My DS is only 2, so he's not much into texting anyone yet. He likes calling random people on our phone list much more :) 

As the article states, I think anytime you have media constantly interupting your thought process, you will not complete the thoughts and tend to stay on the surface.  

katy_kay08
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 7:03 PM

I don't text all that much.  I use the medium to share information someone needs to keep handy.  I'll text a phone number or address and I will occassionally text my son if I need to reach him as he is a texter.  

I prefer to have a conversation, get the information necessary and step away from the phone.  I think texting chains us to our phones, and that isn't my thing.  

punky3175
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 7:29 PM
1 mom liked this
I do text - a lot. I have since I pretty much got my first cell phone and learned about texting. It enables me to discuss things with people withou interrupting their day or having my kids hover over me asking who I'm talking to. DD is 15 and I'm pretty sure she's reached 1000's of messages in a month. DS doesn't text nearly as much.

I would much rather have face to face conversations but when that isn't possible text is my next favorite.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Radarma
by "OneDar" on Jul. 6, 2012 at 7:35 PM

This will eventually spin into a post about adolescents and texting.

I am sincerely concerned, folks.

ablessedlife
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 7:38 PM
Yawn.
Radarma
by "OneDar" on Jul. 6, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Quoting ablessedlife:

Yawn.

Keep being blessed.

:)

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jul. 6, 2012 at 7:42 PM
I text occasionally. My children do not.
I think teen text entirely too much and they have no idea what real relationships are about.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN