Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

16 Ways Men Change After Having A Daughter

Posted by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 11:49 PM
  • 30 Replies

Dads Reveal How Having Daughters Has Changed Their View Of Women [QUOTES]

Dads Raising Daughters

When men become fathers, they usually know they're going to play a big role in shaping a child's personality. What new dads might not anticipate, though, is how their kids -- especially daughters -- will change them.

A February 2012 study showed that having girls puts a guy in touch with his feminine side in a big way. Men who have daughters, the researchers found, are much more likely to let go of gendered expectations.

And, new support for these findings comes from Reddit. In a recent thread, the dads of the link-sharing powerhouse (dudes who usually talk about science, Lord of the Rings and Star Wars), broke form to answer one woman's question: How has having daughters changed your perception of women?

The guys' comments ranged from sweet to sad to hilarious, but one user's answer rose to the top of the pile, quickly landing on the best of Reddit. Ardentfrost said:

It gave me a lot of opinions on what it means to be a man. Being a man isn't anger, it's not yelling, it's not violence, it's not fighting, it's not impatience, it's not acting before thinking. Being a man is making right decisions, it's doing the right thing, it's treating people well despite how they treat you, it's fully assessing a situation, it's understanding through perception, it's remaining calm, and it's doing all these things in the face of adversity. I'm not perfect; I make mistakes. But I do my best to be a good man, because my daughter needs that. She must know what a good man is, so that in what will feel like a few short years, when boys are falling over themselves to talk to her, she'll know what is good in a man.

After getting a flood of attention, he added, "I am not telling you how to be a man. I'm telling you how to be an example to your daughter."

We think all of these guys are doing a pretty amazing job setting those examples. Click through the slideshow for more great responses we saw on Reddit.

Click the link to view the rest:

by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 11:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
futureshock
by Ruby Member on Jul. 7, 2012 at 11:50 PM

BUMP!

MyJaidon
by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 11:53 PM

BUMP!

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Jul. 7, 2012 at 11:59 PM
1 mom liked this

This is definitely true for my husband.   We just had our first daughter and ever since we thought she was a girl he started talking about how he was going to have to become the kind of man he'd want her to marry and he really changed inb a lot of small ways during the pregnancy.   It's interesting how one little girl can change so much!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
Nicky2911
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 12:04 AM
1 mom liked this

oh that makes me so happy. When dd first got here I was afraid that she and SO were not really bonding (he has been burned before by a son that turned out not to be his and they took him away. It wasn't until she was almost 9 mo that I felt they had actually bonded a bit. This gives me great hope ^-^

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jul. 8, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Very interesting article.

It's a shame my ex husband never experienced any thing mentioned.

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Jul. 8, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Very interesting article.

It's a shame my ex husband never experienced any thing mentioned.

:(

illegallyblonde
by Lawyerupbeeches on Jul. 8, 2012 at 1:42 PM
I am 1 of 4 girls. No boys. My dad is amazing:-)))
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
parentalrights1
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 2:07 PM

I'm one of 4 girls as well. He was still a womanizing piece of shit. Probably still is. He never had anything to do with me though, out of all 6 of his kids, I was the only one.

littlecolton07
by Member on Jul. 8, 2012 at 2:11 PM
Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Jul. 8, 2012 at 2:14 PM

*Shrugs* Having our daughter hasn't changed dh a bit. He's still the same dad he was when our son was born.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN