Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Only Bad Mommies Want their Kids to Have Chicken Pox.

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 8:02 PM
  • 62 Replies

Thoughts?

Only Bad Mommies Want their Kids to Have Chicken Pox.

As the back to school vaccination push continues, we'd like to remind readers that common childhood diseases that you can now delay and/or make worse later in life courtesy of pediatric vaccination were considered benign even as far back as the dark ages of the 1990s. Fear and self-doubt sells. It sells mouthwash: "Do YOU have halitosis?" Feminine hygiene spray: "Do you sometimes feel less than 'fresh?'" And hair coloring: "Dad, it's time to start dating again, don't you think you should color your hair?"

You still have the right as your child's parent to delay or eschew individual vaccines. Learn more at the NVIC State by State Vaccination Exemption List. Here's a video clip taken from that government funded TV channel we all know and love(d) called PBS... before PBS became a mouthpiece to endorse government mandated medicine. 5:50 seconds into this clip Arthur's Dad says, "It's chicken pox." and reassures his son - "No it's just a normal childhood illness. I had it. Mom had it." Then Mom decides to call Grandma Thora to come take care of Arthur. DW is terribly jealous of the attention and TLC her big brother recieies while sick. There's no panic, no Defcon 99 germ bomb, no shame, no calling child services for lack of proper medical care.

So what has changed in the last decade where American parents have been taught to fear and loathe chicken pox - and now adults face shingles regularly because tots are not shedding "varicalla boosters" via routine chicken pox? Meantime, the rate of chronic, lifelong, debilitating sickness has skyrocketed with nary a care in the mainstream media and doctor's offices around the nation. "Just get the damn shot!" to paraphrase a certain TV doc.

by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 8:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mipsy
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2012 at 8:08 PM
1 mom liked this
I must be a bad mommy :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FrumpyMama
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Ditto. And I have to say I'm shocked they haven't pulled this episode of Arthur. It aired recently in our area.

Quoting Mipsy:

I must be a bad mommy :)

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Jul. 9, 2012 at 8:13 PM

I remember having the chicken pox, and it was horrible.

ejsmom4604
by Silver Member on Jul. 9, 2012 at 8:22 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't think any mom is bad just because she makes the best decision for her child(ren). Vax don't vax it's your choice a the parent. Just as long as you (general) feel you got all the info.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EastCoastMom78
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 8:43 PM
1 mom liked this

lol my  mom use to put my sister and I near people with chicken pox to get them. We are immune to them lol because I am 34 and she is 32 and we have never gotten them. My daughter who is 6 has had the vaccination. Just because parents care enough to get there children vaccinated doesn't mean they are bad parents. It's the parents  who don't vaccinate there children who are the bad ones.  They are the ones who complain why there child ended up in the hospital almost on there death beds because they didn't get there vaccinations. Common sense get your vacinations  to protect your children.

BompsMum
by Member on Jul. 9, 2012 at 8:53 PM

i never had the chicken pox so to get it at my age would have been horrible. my sister had it as a child and it was so bad that my mom had to be careful it didnt stop her breathing (she had it down her throat which caused the airways to swell).

if a simple shot can possibly prevent my son from getting it (or even getting a milder case) then i will do it.

call me a bad mommy if you will :) everyone is entitled to their opinion :)

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Jul. 9, 2012 at 8:54 PM
9 moms liked this

Bad mommies want their kids to naturally aquire life-long immunity as opposed to artificially inject them with MAYBE 6 years worth of immunity?  Sign me up to the bad mommy club, I guess.

meriana
by Platinum Member on Jul. 9, 2012 at 9:05 PM
1 mom liked this

If not getting a chicken pox vaccination qualifies one for the "bad mommy" club, I must qualify for the "really horrible, negligent" mommy club. My kids did not get vaccine's at all. Well, except for the first one a Dr. talked my dh into giving our son, which resulted in him having an extremely high fever......last time any Dr. talked Dh into any vaccination though.

My parents were "bad parents" too....I've never had a vaccination.

Kaelaasmom
by Member on Jul. 9, 2012 at 9:05 PM
I have two reasons not to want my daughter to get the chicken pox.

1. A kid in my 2nd grade class died from them.

2. I just got over shingles, which you ONLY can get if you have had the chicken pox. That shit hurts like hell.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Jul. 9, 2012 at 9:24 PM
My youngest got the chicken pix vax. My older two both got chicken pox and it was awful. The oldest wasn't too bad but my middle son, who was just 2 at the time, really suffered. He has scars, one on his face and was absolutely miserable for the entire Christmas holiday.

So if I can avoid my youngest having to suffer like that I will. Even without the vax, I wouldn't be into chicken pox parties. Sure it may be mostly just a "routine childhood illness" but a lot of things used to be a routine part of childhood that aren't now - for the better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN