Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why there are more and more big newborns

Posted by   + Show Post

Because more and more are able to be born. I know plenty of extra large babies are birthed naturally, but it is a fact that a C-section can allow a child to be born that might have otherwise, decades ago, not made it out of the birth canal alive.  And that child then has the chance to grow up and have children of its own. Which gives the being-large-at-birth set of genes better odds at being  passed on to the future offspring 

Also, women who give birth to a large baby now are more likely to not only to live through the experience, than decades ago, but also are more likely to not be traumatized by the experience, and there is a greater chance that they will go on and give birth again, and chances are, they may have another large baby.  

I collect antique gynecological and obstetric books and manuals.  Many a full term infant was diced up piecemeal and drawn out with blunted hooks to save the life of a mother.  And many a mother held her living baby as she bled to death from the incisions made to free it from her body. 

Bigger babies survive more often now, which is why we may being seeing more of them. 

I don't feel it has anything to do with particular foods or chemicals.

by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 2:54 AM
Replies (51-60):
lga1965
by Ruby Member on Jul. 14, 2012 at 12:02 PM

I have known many  moms ( friends) who had 9 and 10 pound babies since the 1960's. My gramma had her babies in 1904 through 1912 and they were all over 9 pounds. Most babies can be born vaginally. The size of the Mom's pelvis is the determining factor and her ability to dilate. Large babies usually mean the Mom has diabetes or the potential for diabetes or that the baby is way overdue. The average weight is 7.5 pounds for a full term baby. And they are easy to deliver if the pelvis is adequate and the mother is relaxed and allows her cervix to dilate.( Fear interferes with dilation and short labor)

I'm not sure that there are any MORE large babies being born now. But, like you say, safer c-sections do save large babies .

Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Jul. 14, 2012 at 12:06 PM

I can just image how hard it was to give birth to a large baby like that.  My 1st being average I would say, 7 lbs. 8 ozs. was hard enough, I swore I wouldn't have another.  (but I did).  I was in labor for 24 hrs.  So, I'm wondering does it mean after having 1 baby that was large, chances are you'll have another large one?  Is it in the genes to have larger babies?  Couldn't you just have a C-Section knowing that?  I never of wanted to have a C-Section when I had my 2 kids, but looking back I think I would of with my first.  Because, I had pretty horrible thoughts of my 1st birth.  It wasn't fun lol.

Quoting i.m.r.:

Idk. My dd was 10 lbs 3 oz and I'm still pretty traumatized from the experience. It wasn't good. There were about ten nurses and the doctor in the room. I almost needed a blood transfusion. I'm still not sure I'm going to have another one, especially since usually babies get bigger as you go along...

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Jul. 14, 2012 at 12:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Please don't, I found the info you posted to be very interesting!!!

Quoting coronado25:

Hilarious...it just keeps going on. Not a single relevant comment.

Can I delete this posting? This is just assinine.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Jul. 14, 2012 at 12:12 PM
Friend of mine had a 13+ pounder for her first. Her second was in the low 6 lb range and third was arund 7 lbs.

Quoting Naturewoman4:

I can just image how hard it was to give birth to a large baby like that.  My 1st being average I would say, 7 lbs. 8 ozs. was hard enough, I swore I wouldn't have another.  (but I did).  I was in labor for 24 hrs.  So, I'm wondering does it mean after having 1 baby that was large, chances are you'll have another large one?  Is it in the genes to have larger babies?  Couldn't you just have a C-Section knowing that?  I never of wanted to have a C-Section when I had my 2 kids, but looking back I think I would of with my first.  Because, I had pretty horrible thoughts of my 1st birth.  It wasn't fun lol.

Quoting i.m.r.:

Idk. My dd was 10 lbs 3 oz and I'm still pretty traumatized from the experience. It wasn't good. There were about ten nurses and the doctor in the room. I almost needed a blood transfusion. I'm still not sure I'm going to have another one, especially since usually babies get bigger as you go along...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Jul. 14, 2012 at 12:16 PM

I think that is true as well.  I wonder is that why newborns are bigger these days?  I was only about 147 when it came to my delivery of my 2 kids.  I'm 5'7.  Back then lol, when I had my kids the LaMaze (sorry if I didn't spell that right) was introduced & I was really into it.  No medication at all during my 2 births.  I read every book I could find, I eat really good, hardly no 'junk' food, & I exercise all the time.  I was lucky because I was naturally thin, but I read where keeping ones weight down was easier when it came to delivery. 

I'm not positive with this, but I read where the birth of your child plus alittle extra for all the other things involved in getting pregnant, is what you are are left with after birth.  So, for me for example, at 147 - 7 1/2 lb. baby, would leave me at approx. 140 lbs. let's say.  That still would be over my 'normal' weight by approx. 20 lbs.  I weigh approx. 120 before I got pregnant.  (IF that much).

Quoting krysstizzle:

I agree. But people in general are larger, too, than in the past, including pelvis.

coronado25
by Silver Member on Jul. 14, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Truthseeker says "more bigger babies born safely now as opposed to years ago is because this is widely known knowlege and nothing new" 

EXactly!! Which is why it it is so interesting to see that people are puzzled that successive generations are having more and more big babies. Genetics...if you get born and go on to reproduce and you are one of those babies that would not have been born due to your size back in the day, your chances of passing on your own large at birth genes are good...Hence your descendents may,or may not, but chances are more there than they were had you not been born, that you will go on to have a couple of big babies yourself or if not, one of your children will go on to have a couple of big babies.  Genes are king. They are truly a major determining factor and pun intended, tip the scales when it comes to other possible reasons why more and more big babies are and will be getting born. Genetics. Heredity. If you get born your genes will now be able to continue to be passed on. If you stay alive in childbirth, mother or baby, both people's DNA will continue on.  Regardless if you eat this or that, if you smoke or don't, if you have diabetes or not....if your DNA makes you grow from tiny embryo to an extra large sized baby, your chances of passing on those big baby genes continues too...and because now size is not a factor in infant and mother mortality like it used to be, there are more of these large-baby gene carriers if you will, reproducing and going on to successfully pass on their genes again.

WesternNYmom
by Silver Member on Jul. 14, 2012 at 12:17 PM

My daughter was 8lbs 12oz at birth. My son was 11lbs.  I had to be induce when dd was born as my  labor wasn't progressing. I was on week past my due date, and dilating, but no contractions. My ob was concerned.  DS was delivered naturally without drugs.  My sister was over 9lbs at birth, and according to my grandmother, my father was 10lbs at birth. Large babys run in the family.

Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Jul. 14, 2012 at 12:21 PM

So I was wondering, you or none of your siblings every had cancer?  My parents smoked as well, even while pregnant with all 4 kids.  We are ALL healthy, except my sis died of breast cancer & my other sis had breast cancer as well.  My bro had skin cancer.

Quoting BannerElkHogans:

Smoking a few cigs a day vs smoking 1-2 packs of cig's a day.............my mother smoked when she was pregnant with all 7 of us an after we were born ............were all normal healthy people . 

Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Jul. 14, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Oh wow, then I guess it can go either way.  Were the 2nd & 3rd born early OR the was the 1st born late?

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Friend of mine had a 13+ pounder for her first. Her second was in the low 6 lb range and third was arund 7 lbs.

Quoting Naturewoman4:

Quoting i.m.r.:

coronado25
by Silver Member on Jul. 14, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Genetics is also the reason for more and more c-sections. 

Women who would've died in previous generations live to go on and have more children which may or may not be born via c-section but more likely may as compared to the rest of the population and even if they VBAC they pass on their traits to their offspring who may or may not express those traits but chances are greater that they will, and then they, too may wind up needing a c-section when they grow up and reproduce.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured