Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The neighbor kid just called my daughter(7) a Crazy Cracker. If this were your kid, what would you do? Laugh? Explain that that term Is a racial term? Does it matter what race the kid is? If he is white does that make it ok? I will definitely be having a talk with my daughter about the use of racial slurs as we do not use them in our house.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 1:45 PM
Replies (41-50):
Lizard_Lina
by Silver Member on Jul. 14, 2012 at 11:57 PM
Why wouldn't you allow your children to use those words

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

That's your opinion.

My kids don't use those words and I will let them know why it's not allowed in our home but that's not the case in other homes...

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

That's breeding ignorance.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

I know kids that call each other "n*****" and their parents are okay with it because both kids are black...

I agree with JonJon on this....

Depends on situation and connotation.

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

It's like the n word huh? So if a kid says "silly nigger" that's perfectly ok because it was used in a playful manner?

Quoting JonJon:

Did she ask you what it means?  I've been told to wait until they ask, which I don't necessarily agree is the best idea.

Do you want her to think of it as a slur so she can feel bad and be sure to report to you the next time it happens?  So you can do...what, register a complaint? 

I conclude the other kid was her age; do you believe the other 7-year-old knows it's a slur, or is the kid simply mimicking something the parents said, perhaps about a comedian on tv such as Jeff Foxworthy?

Have a talk with the kid's parents; they'll probably be mortified their kid heard them and mimicked something they never meant to be used toward someone their kid knew. 

The word cracker is not always used as a slur; it's sometimes used in a playful manner.  It's like the n-word; the connotation depends on the situation.  The fact that the word crazy was used as an adjective might change the meaning of the word.  We like people who are crazy as in "makes us laugh" because they are so goofy.  Everyone likes people who make us laugh.

What was it your daughter did that was so crazy?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JonJon
by Ruby Member on Jul. 15, 2012 at 12:08 AM

If I go back and look, will you have written the same thing to everyone else who wrote pretty much the same thing I did?  Because no where did I write "it's okay."  I don't use either word except in discussions such as these online or offline, myself but I don't go around telling other people the are ignorant for what they say when goofing around with their friends.

I know there are white people who call other white people crackers and I know it has to do with them being considered lowly or unsophisticated.  As the only people who crack any whips these days are performers or horse trainers, the connotation of the word cracker has obviously morphed.  I'm sure it stopped meaning, "He who whips us" many, many years ago.  So if I mentioned your attempts to be insultingtoward me seems ironic given how "outraged" you're pretending to be about "insults, I guess you'd be further outraged.

What?  The word redneck doesn't bother you?  The coal miners who fought to be unionized wore redneckerchiefs so they could identify who was who when they fought with the men hired by the coal companies to break up their protests.  No one who's called a redneck actually beat up any union busters, were never coal miners and never had any family who were coal miners.

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

I'm not trying to be combative. Your saying that its ok to say nigger and cracker as long as they're both the same color and joking. I'm sorry. Neither if those words are funny to me. Cracker doesn't mean poor white trash. It's derived from slaves calling their masters crackers from the cracking of their whips. I'm nobodies master, nobody in my family has ever been a slave owner, and I would not want to be associated with that term at all. It's offensive. In lamens terms calling someone a racist of the worst kind. I don't care how you spin it its wrong to say. Uv terms of the children, I don't think the boy knew what he was saying. But to dismiss the term entirely just because someone chuckles when they say it is ignorant.

Quoting JonJon:

Let's use the same adjective; crazy.  If the kid had called her crazy ginger it would be obvious the kid didn't know what he was saying.

The two words are similar in that it depends who's using the word and under what circumstances.  The connotation of the n-word, even when used by one black toward another depends on whether the two people are on good terms with one another or are on bad terms.  Cracker is used by white people to connote someone who is poor; it can be equated with the words, "poor white trash."  I think maybe one white person can playfully call a friend a cracker depending on the situation. 

So if I compare the word cracker to the word redneck, are you going to ask me if it's okay to call someone a silly redneck?  I'll answer the question now; it depends on the people and the situation.  It seems it's okay for white people to use the word redneck though I've always believed it to be a word used as an insult.

BTW:  I never said it was okay for the kid to call TS's daughter a crazy cracker.  Try not to be so obviously intent on being combative.

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

It's like the n word huh? So if a kid says "silly nigger" that's perfectly ok because it was used in a playful manner?

Quoting JonJon:

Did she ask you what it means?  I've been told to wait until they ask, which I don't necessarily agree is the best idea.

Do you want her to think of it as a slur so she can feel bad and be sure to report to you the next time it happens?  So you can do...what, register a complaint? 

I conclude the other kid was her age; do you believe the other 7-year-old knows it's a slur, or is the kid simply mimicking something the parents said, perhaps about a comedian on tv such as Jeff Foxworthy?

Have a talk with the kid's parents; they'll probably be mortified their kid heard them and mimicked something they never meant to be used toward someone their kid knew. 

The word cracker is not always used as a slur; it's sometimes used in a playful manner.  It's like the n-word; the connotation depends on the situation.  The fact that the word crazy was used as an adjective might change the meaning of the word.  We like people who are crazy as in "makes us laugh" because they are so goofy.  Everyone likes people who make us laugh.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Jul. 15, 2012 at 12:12 AM
I will explain that words can hurt others and some words that dont bother "you" personally will bother other people.

That goes for any name calling...
Stupid, ugly, redneck, freckleface, etc.

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Why wouldn't you allow your children to use those words

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

That's your opinion.

My kids don't use those words and I will let them know why it's not allowed in our home but that's not the case in other homes...

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

That's breeding ignorance.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

I know kids that call each other "n*****" and their parents are okay with it because both kids are black...

I agree with JonJon on this....

Depends on situation and connotation.

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Quoting JonJon:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lizard_Lina
by Silver Member on Jul. 15, 2012 at 12:13 AM
1 mom liked this
That's not where that's derived from. Red neck literally means redneck. The color of the necks of white people who worked their land in the sun.

You straight up said its only offensive when used in the wrong connotation, but if its used to be playful, then its ok.

Has the term nigger changed? Can we all now use it? Are there any slaves around to feel offended? Nope. Cracker is the same way. I don't care if its a joke or not. Both words ate ignorant and racist and shouldn't be said by anyone, of any color, for any reason.

Quoting JonJon:

If I go back and look, will you have written the same thing to everyone else who wrote pretty much the same thing I did?  Because no where did I write "it's okay."  I don't use either word except in discussions such as these online or offline, myself but I don't go around telling other people the are ignorant for what they say when goofing around with their friends.

I know there are white people who call other white people crackers and I know it has to do with them being considered lowly or unsophisticated.  As the only people who crack any whips these days are performers or horse trainers, the connotation of the word cracker has obviously morphed.  I'm sure it stopped meaning, "He who whips us" many, many years ago.  So if I mentioned your attempts to be insultingtoward me seems ironic given how "outraged" you're pretending to be about "insults, I guess you'd be further outraged.

What?  The word redneck doesn't bother you?  The coal miners who fought to be unionized wore redneckerchiefs so they could identify who was who when they fought with the men hired by the coal companies to break up their protests.  No one who's called a redneck actually beat up any union busters, were never coal miners and never had any family who were coal miners.

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

I'm not trying to be combative. Your saying that its ok to say nigger and cracker as long as they're both the same color and joking. I'm sorry. Neither if those words are funny to me. Cracker doesn't mean poor white trash. It's derived from slaves calling their masters crackers from the cracking of their whips. I'm nobodies master, nobody in my family has ever been a slave owner, and I would not want to be associated with that term at all. It's offensive. In lamens terms calling someone a racist of the worst kind. I don't care how you spin it its wrong to say. Uv terms of the children, I don't think the boy knew what he was saying. But to dismiss the term entirely just because someone chuckles when they say it is ignorant.

Quoting JonJon:

Let's use the same adjective; crazy.  If the kid had called her crazy ginger it would be obvious the kid didn't know what he was saying.

The two words are similar in that it depends who's using the word and under what circumstances.  The connotation of the n-word, even when used by one black toward another depends on whether the two people are on good terms with one another or are on bad terms.  Cracker is used by white people to connote someone who is poor; it can be equated with the words, "poor white trash."  I think maybe one white person can playfully call a friend a cracker depending on the situation. 

So if I compare the word cracker to the word redneck, are you going to ask me if it's okay to call someone a silly redneck?  I'll answer the question now; it depends on the people and the situation.  It seems it's okay for white people to use the word redneck though I've always believed it to be a word used as an insult.

BTW:  I never said it was okay for the kid to call TS's daughter a crazy cracker.  Try not to be so obviously intent on being combative.

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Quoting JonJon:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JonJon
by Ruby Member on Jul. 15, 2012 at 12:21 AM
1 mom liked this

Also, leapin' lizard (I call you that for leaping to conclusions because it suits you to do so), you're all upset about the word cracker but you say nothing about why the n-word bothers you.  It obviously doesn't bother you and you obviously have no problem using it, because this is the second time you've written it out when most white people here avoid doing so like the plague. 

I personally have no problem with you writing out the word, but I'm going to have to call you on your bull because you've now spelled out the word, twice.  I'd much rather people use it in a joking manner, even if one is white and the other black, than to have you use a discussion such as this as a chance to call me a silly ginger in a roundabout way. Don't bother trying to deny what you did.  I pretended not to notice it but you've used the word twice, the second time to deliberately misrepresent my intent and you only get one pass a day! 

smile

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Quoting JonJon:

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Quoting JonJon:

Radarma
by "OneDar" on Jul. 15, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Hmmm, ignoring all the suggestions of qualifiers and context...if it is a word that, as a family value, you do not approve of, state that and state why.

(If that is the route you choose, I would start that convo with 'what do you think it means?')

If it's no big deal, do nothing.

As for the other child, you have no action to take there IMO. You are responsible for your own child and what they say, only.

Good luck, the first time my kids heard the "en word" they heard it from neighborhood kids...and they heard it just like that, "the en word". So of course they asked me, "hey ma, what is the EN word?"

Yay neighborhood kids. lol 

JonJon
by Ruby Member on Jul. 15, 2012 at 12:26 AM
1 mom liked this

This is the third time you've used the word; you don't seem to need permission to use it but since you have asked, I say go ahead and use it.

Redneck is a historically derogatory slang term used in reference to poor, uneducated white farmers, especially from the southern United States.[1][2] It is similar in meaning to cracker (especially regarding Georgia and Florida), hillbilly (especially regarding Appalachia and the Ozarks),[3] and white trash (but without the last term's suggestions of immorality).[4][5][6]

The United Mine Workers of America (UMW) and rival miners' unions appropriated both the term redneck and its literal manifestation, the red bandana, in order to build multiracial unions of white, black, and immigrant miners in the strike-ridden coalfields of northern and central Appalachia between 1912 and 1936. The origin of redneck to mean "a union man" or "a striker" remains uncertain, but according to linguist David W. Maurer, the former definition of the word probably dates at least to the 1910s, if not earlier. The use of redneck to designate "a union member" was especially popular during the 1920s and 1930s in the coal-producing regions of southern West Virginia, eastern Kentucky, and western Pennsylvania, where the word came to be specifically applied to a miner who belonged to a union.

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

That's not where that's derived from. Red neck literally means redneck. The color of the necks of white people who worked their land in the sun.

You straight up said its only offensive when used in the wrong connotation, but if its used to be playful, then its ok.

Has the term nigger changed? Can we all now use it? Are there any slaves around to feel offended? Nope. Cracker is the same way. I don't care if its a joke or not. Both words ate ignorant and racist and shouldn't be said by anyone, of any color, for any reason.

Quoting JonJon:

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Quoting JonJon:

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Quoting JonJon:

JonJon
by Ruby Member on Jul. 15, 2012 at 12:30 AM
1 mom liked this

If the 9-year-old had been black, would you warn the op to hide her daughter because that was a prelude to his intent to physically attack her?

Wouldn't you be going on and on about how his parents are obviously amoral racists who are teaching him to hate white people? 

rolling on floor

Quoting Radarma:

Hmmm, ignoring all the suggestions of qualifiers and context...if it is a word that, as a family value, you do not approve of, state that and state why.

(If that is the route you choose, I would start that convo with 'what do you think it means?')

If it's no big deal, do nothing.

As for the other child, you have no action to take there IMO. You are responsible for your own child and what they say, only.

Good luck, the first time my kids heard the "en word" they heard it from neighborhood kids...and they heard it just like that, "the en word". So of course they asked me, "hey ma, what is the EN word?"

Yay neighborhood kids. lol 

Lizard_Lina
by Silver Member on Jul. 15, 2012 at 12:30 AM
You say cracker. You don't say c****er. I say nigger. Big deal. Why should I avoid saying it just because I'm white? I'm not calling you a nigger, were talking about racial slurs here. Why should I be upset about typing the word? Clearly no black people are up in arms over calling someone a cracker. So obviously its ok to just throw slurs around because who care I'm making a joke. For the record, I have said why it bothers me. Because its racist and ignorant as hell. Just like cracker is. What other reason do I need? BTW, ginger is a negative term for redheads, which I'm sure you probably know. I've not called you anything, nigger or ginger, but way to twist my point to deviate from what in saying, which is ALL RACIAL SLURS ARE IGNORANT AND NOT FUNNY EVER NO MATTER WHO SAYS IT, and not that you personally are one.

Quoting JonJon:

Also, leapin' lizard (I call you that for leaping to conclusions because it suits you to do so), you're all upset about the word cracker but you say nothing about why the n-word bothers you.  It obviously doesn't bother you and you obviously have no problem using it, because this is the second time you've written it out when most white people here avoid doing so like the plague. 

I personally have no problem with you writing out the word, but I'm going to have to call you on your bull because you've now spelled out the word, twice.  I'd much rather people use it in a joking manner, even if one is white and the other black, than to have you use a discussion such as this as a chance to call me a silly ginger in a roundabout way. Don't bother trying to deny what you did.  I pretended not to notice it but you've used the word twice, the second time to deliberately misrepresent my intent and you only get one pass a day! 

smile

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Quoting JonJon:

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Quoting JonJon:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lizard_Lina
by Silver Member on Jul. 15, 2012 at 12:33 AM
They appropriated, that means they overtook the term. Not that that's where it is derived from.

And I would love to know where you got this because a hillbilly, a cracker, and a redneck are all seriously different things.

I don't need permission to say anything. Freedom of speech baby. That's all the permission I need.

Quoting JonJon:

This is the third time you've used the word; you don't seem to need permission to use it but since you have asked, I say go ahead and use it.

Redneck is a historically derogatory slang term used in reference to poor, uneducated white farmers, especially from the southern United States.[1][2] It is similar in meaning to cracker (especially regarding Georgia and Florida), hillbilly (especially regarding Appalachia and the Ozarks),[3] and white trash (but without the last term's suggestions of immorality).[4][5][6]

The United Mine Workers of America
(UMW) and rival miners' unions appropriated both the term redneck and
its literal manifestation, the red bandana, in order to build
multiracial unions of white, black, and immigrant miners in the
strike-ridden coalfields of northern and central Appalachia
between 1912 and 1936. The origin of redneck to mean "a union man" or
"a striker" remains uncertain, but according to linguist David W.
Maurer, the former definition of the word probably dates at least to the
1910s, if not earlier. The use of redneck to designate "a union member"
was especially popular during the 1920s and 1930s in the coal-producing
regions of southern West Virginia, eastern Kentucky, and western Pennsylvania, where the word came to be specifically applied to a miner who belonged to a union.

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Quoting JonJon:

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Quoting JonJon:

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Quoting JonJon:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)