Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Muslim sisters...

Posted by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 8:43 AM
  • 8 Replies

Are you ready for Ramadan next week?

Click to join

by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 8:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
colins_mom
by Silver Member on Jul. 15, 2012 at 8:46 AM
I'm not Muslim, but will someone explain Ramadan to me please? I've never really understood it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
muslimah
by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Quoting colins_mom:

I'm not Muslim, but will someone explain Ramadan to me please? I've never really understood it.

Ramadan will start on the 20th of July. Ramadan is a name of a month on the Lunar calendar and it goes for 30 days and the beginning of and ending of the month depends on the sighting of the moon and that is why I say insh'Allah (God willing) the last day of Ramadan will depend on the sighting of the moon.

During Ramadan the devil is chained up in the pits of hell and unable to temp us or lead us to wrong doings so any sin we commit we are doubly responsible for and can't blame Shayton (Satan) but must take full responsibility.

We are commanded to fast from sun up till sun down refraining from food, water, or sex during theses hours. We get up in the morning before the sun rises and have a huge meal that will carry us through the day.

When the sun goes down it is sunnah to break the fast with a date (which is high in nutrients and calories) and 3 sips of water, go for prayer then for iftar which is a huge meal that compares to a feast that often goes till late hours in the night.

Part of fasting also includes extra prayer, study and reading of the Quran which is broken down into sections so that if a section a day is read the whole Quran can be read from cover to cover within the 30 days. Extra charity is and kindness is also consider part of fasting and rewards for good deeds are doubled.

We are obligated to pay zakat before/upon the ending of Ramadan. Zakat is a mandatory charity that goes to support the poor and it comes to 2.5% of a years earnings/savings after living expenses. The poor who qualify to receive zakat are exempt from having to pay it.

If you are ill, on medication, or menastrating you are exempt from fasting and those days must be made up before the next Ramadan the following year.

For those who's health prevents them from fasting at all they need to pay (I think) it is $3.43 a day to feed a poor person a meal.

Click to join

colins_mom
by Silver Member on Jul. 15, 2012 at 9:15 AM
Thanks! I have always wonderd about that :)

Quoting muslimah:

Quoting colins_mom:

Ramadan will start on the 20th of July. Ramadan is a name of a month on the Lunar calendar and it goes for 30 days and the beginning of and ending of the month depends on the sighting of the moon and that is why I say insh'Allah (God willing) the last day of Ramadan will depend on the sighting of the moon.

During Ramadan the devil is chained up in the pits of hell and unable to temp us or lead us to wrong doings so any sin we commit we are doubly responsible for and can't blame Shayton (Satan) but must take full responsibility.

We are commanded to fast from sun up till sun down refraining from food, water, or sex during theses hours. We get up in the morning before the sun rises and have a huge meal that will carry us through the day.

When the sun goes down it is sunnah to break the fast with a date (which is high in nutrients and calories) and 3 sips of water, go for prayer then for iftar which is a huge meal that compares to a feast that often goes till late hours in the night.

Part of fasting also includes extra prayer, study and reading of the Quran which is broken down into sections so that if a section a day is read the whole Quran can be read from cover to cover within the 30 days. Extra charity is and kindness is also consider part of fasting and rewards for good deeds are doubled.

We are obligated to pay zakat before/upon the ending of Ramadan. Zakat is a mandatory charity that goes to support the poor and it comes to 2.5% of a years earnings/savings after living expenses. The poor who qualify to receive zakat are exempt from having to pay it.

If you are ill, on medication, or menastrating you are exempt from fasting and those days must be made up before the next Ramadan the following year.

For those who's health prevents them from fasting at all they need to pay (I think) it is $3.43 a day to feed a poor person a meal.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SlingsAndThings
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2012 at 9:37 AM
I think I am. I'm prettyexcited about it this year. This year will be the hottest Ramadan I've fasted insha'Allah. So lots of indoor fun this year
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Jul. 15, 2012 at 3:09 PM

As ready as you can be. :-)

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Jul. 15, 2012 at 3:44 PM

I have to get to the Arabic foods store and stock up on dates and all hubby's favs.  We will probably miss all the meals since he is at work when the fast ends.  I try to make the meal to break the fast for my hubs but he loves to make it, maybe because I don't make the right things or because he just likes to be around the food...

Anyways I just try to stock up on the easy foods he likes to eat before the fast starts...he loves pita, cheese, olives, foule (fava beans), and fruits and juices.  He always misses his family during Ramadan, his mom would make a huge meal in the morning and at night, and they would all eat together.  I don't seem to be able to create the same atmosphere.  :/

gsprofval
by Silver Member on Jul. 15, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Yes, thank you for explaining to some of us.

Quoting colins_mom:

Thanks! I have always wonderd about that :)

Quoting muslimah:

Quoting colins_mom:

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 12:28 AM
1 mom liked this

Happy upcoming Ramadan, my Muslimah amigas!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN