Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

I FIND THIS VERY INTERESTING, AND I FELT IT WAS MY DUTY TO SHARE AND ASK,WHAT WOULD YOU DO? ALSO, WHY WOULD YOU DO IT?HONESTY PLEASE! THOUGHTS?

The only way Evil can triumph is for good women to do nothing!

*REAL TALK*

by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 5:31 AM
Replies (51-60):
survivorinohio
by René on Jul. 20, 2012 at 12:03 PM
1 mom liked this

What is with the black kids on bikes thing?  In this area all the kids ride bicycles.  Unfortunately there are people who will always see black kids as up to no good.  I had a neighbor say something just the otherday .  SMH  He said I should keep my garage shut as they were riding back and forth looking for something to steal.  Bullshit.  Reggie is the new kid up the block, he is seven and the other two were his guests.  He is only allowed to go up and down the street so thats what they were doing and that is what I reported.  Pisses me off.  I know most of these kids because I have the only playset with monkeybars on the block and sooner or later they all end up here.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

Radarma
by "OneDar" on Jul. 20, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Quoting survivorinohio:

What is with the black kids on bikes thing?  In this area all the kids ride bicycles.  Unfortunately there are people who will always see black kids as up to no good.  I had a neighbor say something just the otherday .  SMH  He said I should keep my garage shut as they were riding back and forth looking for something to steal.  Bullshit.  Reggie is the new kid up the block, he is seven and the other two were his guests.  He is only allowed to go up and down the street so thats what they were doing and that is what I reported.  Pisses me off.  I know most of these kids because I have the only playset with monkeybars on the block and sooner or later they all end up here.

I fear you misunderstand my words.

I am not referring to black people ON bikes as appearing suspicious.

The bike sidebar topic here is more along the lines of why it is NOT "common" to see BP enjoying bikes.

You can start here for some interesting reading, and there is plenty more data on this topic, outside of personal blogspots, of course.

http://kaydubya.wordpress.com/2010/09/09/why-do-bp-not-like-to-ride-bicycles-like-as-grown-ups/

"My task is to answer the question why don't black people ride bicycles. And I think the answer is wrapped up in a bunch of things illustrated in The Bucket List. For starters, the only reason Hot Breath could do any of that stuff was because Nicholson was rich. Thereby access is a key component. Um, I don't know the difference (or care to count the cost) for a fixed gear and whatever the other gear bicycle is. Bikes are expensive. Add to that all the amenities of biking? The outfits. The helmets. Too much ridiculousness for when you could just get in the car and fasten your damn seatbelt....

Second point that I have to mention dare I be accused of being more essenetialist than I already am. There are black people who ride bicycles. I don't know any personally but I did find online some black bicycling clubs. But, you know what they talk about on their forums? Can you guess? Let me tell you: how they're the ONLY ones in their individual clubs...

Point 3: The whole idea of back to nature? Yeah, that's not BF....

Well, take the sweating one's hair out and add that to the fact that riding with a breeze going through your hair and feeling connected to Mother Nature just doesn't seem to be on the BF priority list. With limited access to technology and stuffs (including automobiles) for longer periods of time than our white counterparts, it stands to reason that we would probably like to enjoy the new toys first before returning "back to nature."

Why ride a bicycle when you can sit down comfortably without risk to one's hair or nether parts, turn on the a/c and drive down the street? No, no, return to nature to this BW sounds alot like a return to simpler times. Well, simpler times for black folk usually entails slavery or Jim Crow so I don't long for those days of yore."

survivorinohio
by René on Jul. 20, 2012 at 1:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Radarma:

Quoting survivorinohio:

I fear you misunderstand my words.

I am not referring to black people ON bikes as appearing suspicious.

The bike sidebar topic here is more along the lines of why it is NOT "common" to see BP enjoying bikes.

You can start here for some interesting reading, and there is plenty more data on this topic, outside of personal blogspots, of course.

http://kaydubya.wordpress.com/2010/09/09/why-do-bp-not-like-to-ride-bicycles-like-as-grown-ups/

"My task is to answer the question why don't black people ride bicycles. And I think the answer is wrapped up in a bunch of things illustrated in The Bucket List. For starters, the only reason Hot Breath could do any of that stuff was because Nicholson was rich. Thereby access is a key component. Um, I don't know the difference (or care to count the cost) for a fixed gear and whatever the other gear bicycle is. Bikes are expensive. Add to that all the amenities of biking? The outfits. The helmets. Too much ridiculousness for when you could just get in the car and fasten your damn seatbelt....

Second point that I have to mention dare I be accused of being more essenetialist than I already am. There are black people who ride bicycles. I don't know any personally but I did find online some black bicycling clubs. But, you know what they talk about on their forums? Can you guess? Let me tell you: how they're the ONLY ones in their individual clubs...

Point 3: The whole idea of back to nature? Yeah, that's not BF....

Well, take the sweating one's hair out and add that to the fact that riding with a breeze going through your hair and feeling connected to Mother Nature just doesn't seem to be on the BF priority list. With limited access to technology and stuffs (including automobiles) for longer periods of time than our white counterparts, it stands to reason that we would probably like to enjoy the new toys first before returning "back to nature."

Why ride a bicycle when you can sit down comfortably without risk to one's hair or nether parts, turn on the a/c and drive down the street? No, no, return to nature to this BW sounds alot like a return to simpler times. Well, simpler times for black folk usually entails slavery or Jim Crow so I don't long for those days of yore."

In my experience it is NOT uncommon.  I am and always have been baffled by this idea.

These were taken in my town where bikes are ridden commonly by all races.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

charleyd68
by Platinum Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 2:13 AM

I am getting into this tomorrow, however that is rubbish! Maybe you could get away with that, if hoodies were not for every SPORTS athletic warm up. Come on DAR I said honest!MIAMI HEAT, WORLD CHAMPS.PLECIXO BRUSE NFL STAR, FORMER GIANT,AND JET!    DESEAN JACKSON PHILADELPHIA EAGLE SIGNING A 50+MILLION DOLLAR CONTRACT!Quoting Radarma:

Quoting jewels5525:

Quoting Radarma:

Quoting jewels5525:

LOL, just remembered an old post with Dar about black kids riding bikes from the same show. LMAO

I am so very unforgettable.

:D

Yes, and I would present the same argument here if I were not already fed up with the nasty responses it would inevitably yield.

In these clips, I am purty sure the hoodies played a role. But it's cool, clearly no one cares what Dar thinks. LMAO

I was wishing that like FB i could tag you.  Don't want to talk behind your back.  (being serious here)

LOL @ the hoodies comment.  

Always get a chuckle out of you.  But yea don't think i'm gonna get into the discussion again with you.  I believe that was the first post i met you on.

Yes, the depth of denial regarding the hoodie and its direct association to crime is entirely frustrating to me.

There are SPLIT SECOND decisions we make, and we make these at the subconscious level; we see boys without hoodies we assume it must be a prank, or even their own car. We see boys with hoodies, we assume they must be up to no good because they are deliberately trying to shield their faces/identity. All of that happens in our minds, in under two seconds flat.

**shrug**

*REAL TALK*

Arroree
by Ruby Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 4:00 AM

I would likely have walked by pretending to ignore it then called the cops when i was out of sight. If only for fear someone might have a weapon and take the sight of me pulling out my cell phone as an aggressive act.

As for the young men sleeping in their car, it's just sad that people actually called the cops over that. I would have tapped on the window to make sure they were ok, the same if they were any other race. But that's mainly because i've had nightmares about people i know being strangled/suffocated in cars *yeah i know how weird that is, nightmares are always strange for me*

I do find it interesting that all the people who confronted the White kids were White but most of the people who confronted the Black kids were not White.

brunett34
by Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 11:56 AM

So stereo typical!  I'm so sick of people being racist. I just can't believe how ignorant some people can actually be. Race shouldn't have anything to do with it. No matter what color the kids were the same amount of people should have responded to something like that. I can't believe someone called the cops on the teens sleeping in the car and not the vandals. That's so crazy!

Radarma
by "OneDar" on Jul. 21, 2012 at 12:16 PM

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/mar/27/local/la-me-banks-20120327

"The hoodie became a symbol of urban menace because it's actually worn by thieves and muggers," he said.

What accounts for that criminal link? Blame surveillance cameras, not just racism.

::

LAPD Officer Andre Dixon has worked the 77th Street Division in South Los Angeles for 16 years. He grew up nearby, in an era when hoodies were workout gear.

But to him, the link today between crime and hoodies is clear:

It's not that every boy who wears a hoodie is a hoodlum looking for trouble, but every troublemaker seems to rely on the baggy jackets and hoods for cover.

"You look at most of the surveillance camera [videos] of people doing crimes," Dixon said, "you'll see them with the hoods pulled over their faces so you can't identify them."

Hiding behind a hoodie certainly isn't a black thing. Remember the Unabomber? It's the cover, not the color, that makes it criminal. And it's no excuse for profiling.

"But you've got to ask," Dixon said, "If it's a sunny day and it's 90 degrees, why are you wearing a hoodie?" It's seen in some quarters as a challenge to authority.

So should black parents do as Geraldo suggested, and put hooded sweat shirts off-limits, I asked.

"It's been associated with criminals," is all the cop would say. "It's something you have to be aware of."

Quoting charleyd68:

I am getting into this tomorrow, however that is rubbish! Maybe you could get away with that, if hoodies were not for every SPORTS athletic warm up. Come on DAR I said honest!MIAMI HEAT, WORLD CHAMPS.PLECIXO BRUSE NFL STAR, FORMER GIANT,AND JET!    DESEAN JACKSON PHILADELPHIA EAGLE SIGNING A 50+MILLION DOLLAR CONTRACT!Quoting Radarma:

Quoting jewels5525:

Quoting Radarma:

Quoting jewels5525:

LOL, just remembered an old post with Dar about black kids riding bikes from the same show. LMAO

Yes, and I would present the same argument here if I were not already fed up with the nasty responses it would inevitably yield.

In these clips, I am purty sure the hoodies played a role. But it's cool, clearly no one cares what Dar thinks. LMAO

I was wishing that like FB i could tag you.  Don't want to talk behind your back.  (being serious here)

Always get a chuckle out of you.  But yea don't think i'm gonna get into the discussion again with you.  I believe that was the first post i met you on.

Yes, the depth of denial regarding the hoodie and its direct association to crime is entirely frustrating to me.

There are SPLIT SECOND decisions we make, and we make these at the subconscious level; we see boys without hoodies we assume it must be a prank, or even their own car. We see boys with hoodies, we assume they must be up to no good because they are deliberately trying to shield their faces/identity. All of that happens in our minds, in under two seconds flat.

**shrug**

WanziesMommie
by Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 1:18 PM

I'm one that doesn't mind just my own buisiness when it comes to certain situations...I'm a high school educator so I'm used to being around teens, I haven't met a teenager yet that I'm afraid of boy or girl.  I wouldn't just pass by without calling the police... 

charleyd68
by Platinum Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 11:30 PM
Quoting Radarma:

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/mar/27/local/la-me-banks-20120327

"The hoodie became a symbol of urban menace because it's actually worn by thieves and muggers," he said.

What accounts for that criminal link? Blame surveillance cameras, not just racism.

::

LAPD Officer Andre Dixon has worked the 77th Street Division in South Los Angeles for 16 years. He grew up nearby, in an era when hoodies were workout gear.

But to him, the link today between crime and hoodies is clear:

It's not that every boy who wears a hoodie is a hoodlum looking for trouble, but every troublemaker seems to rely on the baggy jackets and hoods for cover.

"You look at most of the surveillance camera [videos] of people doing crimes," Dixon said, "you'll see them with the hoods pulled over their faces so you can't identify them."

Hiding behind a hoodie certainly isn't a black thing. Remember the Unabomber? It's the cover, not the color, that makes it criminal. And it's no excuse for profiling.

"But you've got to ask," Dixon said, "If it's a sunny day and it's 90 degrees, why are you wearing a hoodie?" It's seen in some quarters as a challenge to authority.

So should black parents do as Geraldo suggested, and put hooded sweat shirts off-limits, I asked.

"It's been associated with criminals," is all the cop would say. "It's something you have to be aware of."

Quoting charleyd68:

Quoting jewels5525:

Quoting Radarma:

Quoting jewels5525:

**shrug**

*REAL TALK*

Its.me.Sam.
by Silver Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 11:32 PM

i dont care if people are sleepign in their car..sometimes people need a nap...no harm done.  i wont call.  no matter what they look like.
as for vandalism - i will, and have, called.  no matter what they look like. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)