Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do you think a woman has the right to a legal abortion?

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 1:16 PM
  • 203 Replies

Woman Dies After Abortion But It’s Still a Safe Option for Others

Posted by Ericka Sóuter on July 23, 2012 

pro-choice signPlanned Parenthood is at the center of yet another huge controversy. Recently, a 24-year-old woman died at one of the Chicago clinics shortly after having an abortion.

It's a tragic story for more reasons than one. It's heartbreaking to hear of someone so young dying unexpectedly, but undoubtedly this family's pain will be used in the ongoing war against a woman's right to choose.

Tonay Reaves was rushed to the hospital after she began bleeding heavily after the procedure. Her death was ruled an accident by the Cook County Medical Examiner, but both her pregnancy and the abortion were listed as contributing factors.

Immediately, Pro-Life groups jumped on the story, villainizing abortion rights as a whole. Troy Newman, president of Operation Rescue and Pro-Life Nation, said in a statement to The Christian Post:

In light of this tragedy, which is yet another in a long list of Planned Parenthood abuses, we call on President Obama to immediately withdraw all Federal funding and personal support from Planned Parenthood.

I won't dispute there are risks. There are risks with every single medical procedure. Heck, there are risks with taking birth control pills and aspirin. But the truth of this matter is, legal abortions are typically very safe procedures for women. Less than 0.3 percent of patients have a complication that even requires hospitalization, so a death is incredibly rare in this country. The risk does increase as the pregnancy progresses. Even still, there was just one death in 29,000 when the abortion occurred between the 16th and 20th weeks of pregnancy.

For most women, this certainly isn't an easy choice. There are many devastating personal circumstances that can lead her to it. What Newman and other pro-life advocates propose won't end abortions, it will just increase the number of women who, in desperation, opt for illegal, back alley procedures. Is that really what we want women to have to turn to? That would only result in more deaths, wouldn't it?

Do you think a woman has the right to a legal abortion?

by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 1:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JessicaN27
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 1:18 PM
27 moms liked this

This is very sad, and I hate that this poor woman will be used as an argument now instead of letting her family mourn.

I don't want to start a fight right now, because I honestly want to just let the memory of this girl rest, but I will say, I believe that if abortions weren't legal, they would still happen, and there would be many more deaths resulting from them.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 1:22 PM
8 moms liked this

No one is 100% safe during any medical procedure. Should plastic surgeries be outlawed because a few people died from them?

thecoffeefairy
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 1:24 PM
I agree

Quoting JessicaN27:

This is very sad, and I hate that this poor woman will be used as an argument now instead of letting her family mourn.

I don't want to start a fight right now, because I honestly want to just let the memory of this girl rest, but I will say, I believe that if abortions weren't legal, they would still happen, and there would be many more deaths resulting from them.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katy_kay08
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Yes, I do.  

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Yes women should have the right to legal abortion. I am the only person in the world who gets to decide my reproductive choices.

momof31995
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 1:33 PM
4 moms liked this
plain and simple only 3 people should be in on a womans decision to have an abortion the mother the father and the doctor. And only the mother should make the final decision it is her body after all.
SLTmom
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 1:33 PM
Yes, absolutely.

notjstanothrmom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 1:35 PM
2 moms liked this

She knew what she was getting herself into. Every procedure has risks, she was part of the percentage that died.

I don't believe in abortion, I think it's wrong, but I could care less if it's legal or not because I see both sides of when people think life begins.

jewels5525
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 1:35 PM
8 moms liked this

Women still die during childbirth at a higher rate than most any other cause, so the argument is moot.

ashellbell
by shellbark on Jul. 23, 2012 at 1:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Of course. It's unfortunate and tragic but it's a risk you take. I hope her family finds peace.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN