Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

THIS is NOT an assault rifle!!!!

Posted by   + Show Post

This is MY Ar-15. It is NOT an assault rifle! I am SO tired of the ignorance that is rampant. An assault rifle MUST be able to fire full auto and those are NOT sold to civilians without severe restrictions. You can rent one for fire at a range that has them but you CANNOT buy one without a HUGE, EXPENSIVE, SLOOOOOW process. You CANNOT buy one on the internet, in fact most dealers are not even licensed to sell full auto or short barreled NFA items anyway. If you can afford it and you want to jump through the hoops you are open to visits at any given time from the ATF and must pay special taxes and you can NEVER sell it because it is registered with the ATF to you only. PLEASE before you judge and rant educate yourself on what you are talking about. And PLEASE ask questions if you don't understand something. As a dealer and instructor I gladly accept phone calls with questions from folks who want info and don't know where to get it. Pro gun folks are friendly usually and we don't bite(or shoot), I promise. This whole gun control issue would be SO much easier to talk about if not for the media and their need to demonize guns and keep peope ignorant. 

by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 12:08 PM
Replies (171-180):
Santina25
by Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 4:52 PM
Beautiful :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LuvmyAiden
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 4:52 PM
1 mom liked this

All the replies to this thread and you haven't read a single one have you? Why should they not be available? So only criminals can have them? They are used for shooting sports like competitive target shooting and hunting as well a general varmint hunting. The .223(small bullet) is considered a varmint round actually because of it's small size and lack of major stopping power.

Quoting muslimahpj:

Honestly, those types of guns shouldnt be for sale to the average citizen. What is the purpose of those types of guns?

LuvmyAiden
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Thank you. Working on a purple AK now.

Quoting Santina25:

Beautiful :)

etsmom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 4:55 PM

I don't know if your tone is coming off sounding snarky or it is my perception, but you soud a bit as if someone put pepper in your panties. Your definition is not the law, however you choose to label the weapon is your perogative. For all you know, perhaps OP refers to her weapon as Annabelle.

Quoting survivorinohio:

So, 475-800 rounds a minute is for hunting.  Ok.  Pink blends in real well too i bet, ok.

I dont care how it is defined I would say that 400+ rounds a min is fully capable of feeling like an assault.

I am sure the definition you are using is motivated politically in some way.

Quoting LuvmyAiden:

An assualt weapon by definition MUST be selective fire and semi auto is NOT selective fire.

Quoting survivorinohio:

My husband sat down and said "what a pretty assault rifle'

He says as do I that semi auto is enough to qualify.

Speak Softly and Sweetly; Later You May Have To Eat Your Own Words
LuvmyAiden
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 4:58 PM

I've been trying to comprehend her for almost 200 replies now. I still don't get her. It's ok though. And her name isn't Annabelle but she does have one.

Quoting etsmom:

I don't know if your tone is coming off sounding snarky or it is my perception, but you soud a bit as if someone put pepper in your panties. Your definition is not the law, however you choose to label the weapon is your perogative. For all you know, perhaps OP refers to her weapon as Annabelle.

Quoting survivorinohio:

So, 475-800 rounds a minute is for hunting.  Ok.  Pink blends in real well too i bet, ok.

I dont care how it is defined I would say that 400+ rounds a min is fully capable of feeling like an assault.

Quoting LuvmyAiden:

An assualt weapon by definition MUST be selective fire and semi auto is NOT selective fire.

Quoting survivorinohio:

survivorinohio
by René on Jul. 24, 2012 at 5:01 PM

It was my perception that she was yelling out at  me and I disagree with her philosophy.  if I seem peppery it was not my intent  

Quoting etsmom:

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting LuvmyAiden:

Quoting survivorinohio:

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

survivorinohio
by René on Jul. 24, 2012 at 5:06 PM

In practical terms it is impossible to point that gun as often as you can shoot it,  It fires so fast so a spray of bullets will be laid ,correct?  Thats what its purpose was when designed to kill people at war right?

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

survivorinohio
by René on Jul. 24, 2012 at 5:13 PM

*sigh*  For me the training to use such a gun effectively would have a lot to do with the situation you are in when that gun is needed.  It is not simply learning how to point and shoot.  You really dont understand what it is that I object to in this conversation?

Its a culture in which something so deadly can be thought of as cute and fun.  I find that to be dangerous. 

If you feel as if you could use that weapon in the capacity in which it is designed I have some respect for that.That takes some fortitude.

However what I get is my rifle is fun. I object strongly to that mindset.

Quoting LuvmyAiden:

I've been trying to comprehend her for almost 200 replies now. I still don't get her. It's ok though. And her name isn't Annabelle but she does have one.

Quoting etsmom:

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting LuvmyAiden:

Quoting survivorinohio:

LuvmyAiden
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 5:14 PM

It fires only as fast as the operator pulls the trigger. Without a full auto selector it will not "spray" bullets. You are being very dramatic and it is obvious that you do not shoot. Everything you see on youtube isn't fact. The bumpfiring you posted is NOT safe or common or recommended. And honestly in war time these guns are usually set to a three shot burst NOT totally full auto due to controlability issues. The spraying bullets concept you are thinking of is more like an m-60 or a minigun and those are more than a tad expensive and VERY controlled and also much larger caliber. They are what you usually see in the movies being used for suppressive fire. Bullet spraying is not the purpose of the ar-15 or the military m-16.

Quoting survivorinohio:

In practical terms it is impossible to point that gun as often as you can shoot it,  It fires so fast so a spray of bullets will be laid ,correct?  Thats what its purpose was when designed to kill people at war right?

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Most hunting rifles are semi-automatic.

Quoting kcangel63:

That is how a great number of guns are. Every hand gun we've owned shot as fast as we pulled the trigger. Many rifles are that way as well.

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting Godgaveme4:

Quoting survivorinohio:

That guns purpose is rapid fire which is only needed in human situations. 

This is not correct. You have to pull the trigger EVERYTIME you want to shoot a bullet.  A full auto means you pull the trigger and more than one bullet is sent.

I understand that.  You can fire that gun as fast as you can pull the trigger, you do not need to cock it in between.  I think most people can pull a trigger a lot of times in a minute.

babiesbabybaby development

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured