Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

THIS is NOT an assault rifle!!!!

Posted by   + Show Post

This is MY Ar-15. It is NOT an assault rifle! I am SO tired of the ignorance that is rampant. An assault rifle MUST be able to fire full auto and those are NOT sold to civilians without severe restrictions. You can rent one for fire at a range that has them but you CANNOT buy one without a HUGE, EXPENSIVE, SLOOOOOW process. You CANNOT buy one on the internet, in fact most dealers are not even licensed to sell full auto or short barreled NFA items anyway. If you can afford it and you want to jump through the hoops you are open to visits at any given time from the ATF and must pay special taxes and you can NEVER sell it because it is registered with the ATF to you only. PLEASE before you judge and rant educate yourself on what you are talking about. And PLEASE ask questions if you don't understand something. As a dealer and instructor I gladly accept phone calls with questions from folks who want info and don't know where to get it. Pro gun folks are friendly usually and we don't bite(or shoot), I promise. This whole gun control issue would be SO much easier to talk about if not for the media and their need to demonize guns and keep peope ignorant. 

by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 12:08 PM
Replies (131-140):
LuvmyAiden
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 3:26 PM

The parts are all made my ergo and magpul. Easy to find and put on. And if you want more color duracoat is awesome!

Quoting sherry132:

I use my AR-15 when we go hog hunting. I like yours. LOL. I want one with colors. :( sits down and pouts. 

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Jul. 24, 2012 at 3:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, but people can choose to commit suicide any way they want to. That's not the same as crazy people on a rampage, having access to guns that are designed solely to kill people.

Really. Not the same at all.

The solution, of course, has nothing at all to do with guns (regulations or pretending it's possible to identify these nutjobs before their little sprees)... but there really is no excuse for assault rifles to be available to the public for sale.

Quoting LuvmyAiden:

You are right. You cannot hunt animals with an assault rifle, which is why  posted a pic of a rifle that is not an assault rifle. To show the differences and misconceptions. Everything we hunt with is semi. Most of our friends use semiauto as well. Including the ones who are professional guides on guided hunts. So a semiauto is NOT a problem when hunting. And no drive by knifing but plenty of people die due to things other than guns every day. Thousands die of their own choices like smoking and weight or drinking and driving. And by the way if he had rigged that theater with explosives instead of using a gun it wouldhave been FAR worse. Just because guns are easy to target doesn't mean they are the only things out there that kill people. Statistically they kill far fewer people than vehicles or smoking or a list of other things. 

Quoting LindaClement:

No one kills animals with assault rifles --or with shrapnel bullets, not even for sport.

Any gun can kill people, but to do the kind of damage Loopty-doop was planning in Colorado requires automatic, or semi-automatic, firing. There are excellent reasons NOT to use those hunting.

When was the last time you heard of 5 people being fatally wounded in a drive-by knifing?

Quoting LuvmyAiden:

I was unaware they made a gun that would kill animals for sport but not people. Wow. ANY gun can and will kill a person in the wrong hands, just like any knife or any other thing you want to pick up and use. Guns kill people like forks make you fat and pencils cause the wrong answers.

Quoting LindaClement:

In Canada, the only kind of guns you can legally own are those that NOT designed to hunt people.

Stephanie329
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 3:30 PM
Was it harder to process the deer due to the bullet patterns?

Quoting survivorinohio:

I  want to share a story.  Yrs ago hubby needed to borrow a weapon to hunt.  The weapon loaned to him was a semi auto 12 gauge, military issue.  You should have seen that deer, like swiss cheese.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shortiekt
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 3:30 PM
How do you feel about certificates of training being presented at time of purchase?

Quoting LuvmyAiden:

ABSOLUTELY! It is silly to spend the money and not train IMO. Training is key, whether you are a competition shooter or just someone with home defense in mind. And not just shooting type training but tactical training in general. Learning situational awareness and tactics to keep you alive.

Quoting Shortiekt:

Fully autos are great investments.

I'm not anti-firearm, but I am pro training.

Quoting LuvmyAiden:

The sear for my dh's favorite gun is over $12,000 BEFORE the SOT tax stamp we would have to get from the ATF.

Quoting Shortiekt:

Drop in a sear and it can be...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
survivorinohio
by René on Jul. 24, 2012 at 3:33 PM

So you know I am not in support of gun control but I do not think guns are fun.  Guns like the one in the op have an unfortunate usefulness.  I do not celebrate that. I think there is an unfortunate need for guns like that and its somber not cute.  I dont like the flippancy associated with the gung ho attitude about these weapons.

They are needed in cases of people trying to kill people and people defending themselves while someone is trying to kill them.

Quoting LuvmyAiden:

It amazes me and it scares me. These folks fighting for harsher gun control have NO clue what they are saying but are trying to strip the rights of folks who are doing nothing wrong. Education is key here.

Quoting littleswampfox:

This post has amazed me with how uneducated people are about firearms. Even basic information that I assumed most people knew.

I grew up in a hunting family, still hunt, and shoot targets for sport. I have different types of guns for different types of situations. Currently, between DH and me, we own: a 20-gauge shotgun, two 12-gauge shotguns, a .270 bolt action rifle, a 7mm-.08 bolt action rifle, a .22 bolt action rifle, a .223 semi-automatic rifle, a .22 pocket pistol, and a .38 revolver.

These are all very different guns in a wide range of caliber. The shotguns are used for duck hunting, the .270 and 7mm-.08 are used for deer, the .223 is just a target gun, and we use the pistols as carry weapons.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

survivorinohio
by René on Jul. 24, 2012 at 3:34 PM

It was single shot load so there were several big holes in the shoulder/chest of that deer lol.

Quoting Stephanie329:

Was it harder to process the deer due to the bullet patterns?

Quoting survivorinohio:

I  want to share a story.  Yrs ago hubby needed to borrow a weapon to hunt.  The weapon loaned to him was a semi auto 12 gauge, military issue.  You should have seen that deer, like swiss cheese.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

LuvmyAiden
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Getting hit by a drunk driver or getting cancer is not a choice. Being in a building blown up or flown into by a plane isnt a choice. There are LOTS of way to die that are not a choice. So yes it is the same. And that crazy man would have killed more with a bomb. A bomb that he could get the ingredients for at the hardware store and find directions ot make it on the internet. Knives are designed to kill, so are swords and spears and all kinds of weapons but you aren't acting like those are awful. And I am gonna say it one more time. Assault rifles are not readily available to the public, are hard to get and expensive.

Quoting LindaClement:

Yes, but people can choose to commit suicide any way they want to. That's not the same as crazy people on a rampage, having access to guns that are designed solely to kill people.

Really. Not the same at all.

The solution, of course, has nothing at all to do with guns (regulations or pretending it's possible to identify these nutjobs before their little sprees)... but there really is no excuse for assault rifles to be available to the public for sale.

Quoting LuvmyAiden:

You are right. You cannot hunt animals with an assault rifle, which is why  posted a pic of a rifle that is not an assault rifle. To show the differences and misconceptions. Everything we hunt with is semi. Most of our friends use semiauto as well. Including the ones who are professional guides on guided hunts. So a semiauto is NOT a problem when hunting. And no drive by knifing but plenty of people die due to things other than guns every day. Thousands die of their own choices like smoking and weight or drinking and driving. And by the way if he had rigged that theater with explosives instead of using a gun it wouldhave been FAR worse. Just because guns are easy to target doesn't mean they are the only things out there that kill people. Statistically they kill far fewer people than vehicles or smoking or a list of other things. 

Quoting LindaClement:

No one kills animals with assault rifles --or with shrapnel bullets, not even for sport.

Any gun can kill people, but to do the kind of damage Loopty-doop was planning in Colorado requires automatic, or semi-automatic, firing. There are excellent reasons NOT to use those hunting.

When was the last time you heard of 5 people being fatally wounded in a drive-by knifing?

Quoting LuvmyAiden:

I was unaware they made a gun that would kill animals for sport but not people. Wow. ANY gun can and will kill a person in the wrong hands, just like any knife or any other thing you want to pick up and use. Guns kill people like forks make you fat and pencils cause the wrong answers.

Quoting LindaClement:

In Canada, the only kind of guns you can legally own are those that NOT designed to hunt people.

LuvmyAiden
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 3:38 PM

It's one of the few forms of gun control I actually agree with. People need to know certain things not only to be safe but to get the most out of their firearm. I became an instructor just for that purpose. I wanted to make sure I was qualified to teach people how to be safe and how to develop skills. that is an important part of it for me.

Quoting Shortiekt:

How do you feel about certificates of training being presented at time of purchase?

Quoting LuvmyAiden:

ABSOLUTELY! It is silly to spend the money and not train IMO. Training is key, whether you are a competition shooter or just someone with home defense in mind. And not just shooting type training but tactical training in general. Learning situational awareness and tactics to keep you alive.

Quoting Shortiekt:

Fully autos are great investments.

I'm not anti-firearm, but I am pro training.

Quoting LuvmyAiden:

The sear for my dh's favorite gun is over $12,000 BEFORE the SOT tax stamp we would have to get from the ATF.

Quoting Shortiekt:

Drop in a sear and it can be...

Saint-sweet-t
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Easy guess: the people asking  why you need an AR-15 are the same people that think it is an assault rifle.

You OP are right the media is making a mess out of everything. People keep getting stupider. Schools are having a hard time teaching kids anything. The sheeple are flocking to whatever pasture the government says looks green.

LuvmyAiden
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 3:43 PM

I get it. You don't believe anyone should competition shoot or hunt with any weapon that you don't like. Guns are only ok if you like them, have a use for them or if they are defending you directly(like the police). I'm glad to know you aren't against them all together but you refuse to see that not everyone who is into guns wants to kill other people. Whatever. Debating with you is tiring due to going in circles. It all comes down to the fact that in your opinion any semi auto is an assault rifle and therefore bad. I don't feel that way.

Quoting survivorinohio:

So you know I am not in support of gun control but I do not think guns are fun.  Guns like the one in the op have an unfortunate usefulness.  I do not celebrate that. I think there is an unfortunate need for guns like that and its somber not cute.  I dont like the flippancy associated with the gung ho attitude about these weapons.

They are needed in cases of people trying to kill people and people defending themselves while someone is trying to kill them.

Quoting LuvmyAiden:

It amazes me and it scares me. These folks fighting for harsher gun control have NO clue what they are saying but are trying to strip the rights of folks who are doing nothing wrong. Education is key here.

Quoting littleswampfox:

This post has amazed me with how uneducated people are about firearms. Even basic information that I assumed most people knew.

I grew up in a hunting family, still hunt, and shoot targets for sport. I have different types of guns for different types of situations. Currently, between DH and me, we own: a 20-gauge shotgun, two 12-gauge shotguns, a .270 bolt action rifle, a 7mm-.08 bolt action rifle, a .22 bolt action rifle, a .223 semi-automatic rifle, a .22 pocket pistol, and a .38 revolver.

These are all very different guns in a wide range of caliber. The shotguns are used for duck hunting, the .270 and 7mm-.08 are used for deer, the .223 is just a target gun, and we use the pistols as carry weapons.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)