Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The right to bear arms is somewhat obselete.

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 1:56 PM
  • 68 Replies
2 moms liked this

Our forefathers wanted the people to keep its government in  check  I submit that it has gone way beyond our ability as a people to ever do that.

Thoughts?

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 1:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momtimesx4
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Others would disagree.  And the way the goverment is these days, they need more checking up on.

Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 2:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Seems like it's used now to keep each other in check.  In that case it has wandered quite a bit from it's original intention.

survivorinohio
by René on Jul. 24, 2012 at 2:00 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting momtimesx4:

Others would disagree.  And the way the goverment is these days, they need more checking up on.

I actually support our right to bear arms, I just dont think that it gves us any power against our goernment.  They have a hell of an arsenal.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

tooptimistic
by Kelly on Jul. 24, 2012 at 2:07 PM
3 moms liked this

If that constitutional right goes out the window, what's next?  Freedom of speech?  Freedom of religon?  Freedom to assemble? 

thecoffeefairy
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 2:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Nonsense! I'm quite the liberal on most stances but we should ALWAYS fight to keep our constitutional rights, even if we chose to not exercise them . ( such as owning a gun)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
survivorinohio
by René on Jul. 24, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Quoting thecoffeefairy:

Nonsense! I'm quite the liberal on most stances but we should ALWAYS fight to keep our constitutional rights, even if we chose to not exercise them . ( such as owning a gun)

I am not disagreeing with that.  I am speaking only to the ideas behind its inception  My reason for supporting the right are much different than our forefathers..

canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 2:15 PM
2 moms liked this
I think I see what you're saying and I agree. If the gov't decided to mobilize the armed forces against the citizens in order to seize control, there is little the average person, armed or not, could do to against them. Of course that is assuming the military is under the control of the gov't.

Almost anything I read by pro-gun ownership people, is about personal protection against intruders or sport shooting, and a militia is only ever mentioned when they bring up the constitution. Certainly not as a personal reason for owning a gun.

Of course that's my perspective as an outsider looking in.

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting momtimesx4:

I actually support our right to bear arms, I just dont think that it gves us any power against our goernment.  They have a hell of an arsenal.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
weezer_cookie
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 2:16 PM
1 mom liked this
I think it keeps the government from over stepping its boundaries.. Somewhat LOL

Also, remember, the Brits way out gunned us in the revolutionary war, yet we won.

And the Taliban is sure giving the US a run for its money. They have shown (and insurgents in Iraq) that you don't need a lot of money or technology to do damage.

So I think if push came to shove, the militia would probably surprise the Feds.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
survivorinohio
by René on Jul. 24, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Quoting weezer_cookie:

I think it keeps the government from over stepping its boundaries.. Somewhat LOL

Also, remember, the Brits way out gunned us in the revolutionary war, yet we won.

And the Taliban is sure giving the US a run for its money. They have shown (and insurgents in Iraq) that you don't need a lot of money or technology to do damage.

*shudders at the thought* You have made a strong point though.

weezer_cookie
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 2:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Right? Why do I feel the need to watch Red Dawn right now? LOL

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting weezer_cookie:

*shudders at the thought* You have made a strong point though.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured