Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Chick-Fil-A's CEO admits he SUPPORTS the Biblical definition of Family!!!

Posted by   + Show Post

UPDATE PAGE 74: LGBT files class action law suit against Chick-fil-A.

UPDATE:  Restaurant signs supposedly generated by KFC and Micky D's are fakes. Made and generated from a web-site. Google it, or snopes it.

See Page 54 for current update...7-27-12  "LGBT pay patrons not to go into Chick-fil-A at small protest yesterday in L.A."

See Page 51 for more current updates as of 7-26-12

'Guilty as charged,' Cathy says of Chick-fil-A's stand on biblical & family values

This is the original interview Mr. Cathy did with the Baptist Press that was taken and spun to deliberately create a firestorm, to ultimately attempt to ruin Mr. Cathy's business and decades of hard work. In the process, they are  jeopardizing thousands of employees and the families that count on the those jobs, and all because Chick-Fil-A supports Biblical Family Values and has been since their conception back in 1946. 

UPDATE #1: The reporter who conducted the original interview with Cathy is now saying that Cathy’s remarks have been distorted in the press. Many of those reports spin Cathy’s remarks in a negative direction calling Chick-fil-a “anti-gay.” The reporter says that the term “anti-gay” never came up in the interview. “[Cathy] never even brought up that subject. Everything he stated was on the positive side … He never stated anything negative.” Read about it here.

Posted on Jul 16, 2012 | by K. Allan Blume

CARY, N.C. (BP) -- Dan Cathy oversees one of the country's most successful businesses. As president and chief operating officer of Chick-fil-A, Cathy leads a business with 1,608 restaurants that had sales of more than $4 billion dollars last year. They sell chicken and train employees to focus on values rooted in the Bible.

His father, S. Truett Cathy started the business in 1946, when he and his brother, Ben, opened an Atlanta diner known as The Dwarf Grill (later renamed The Dwarf House). In 1967, his father opened the first Chick-fil-A restaurant in Atlanta. Today, Chick-fil-A is the second largest quick-service chicken restaurant chain in the United States based on annual system-wide sales.

Dan Cathy's success has not erased the biblical values he learned as a child in a Baptist church. He is a warm, common man who is deeply committed to being a faithful Christian witness. And he is fully involved in New Hope Baptist Church in Fayetteville, Ga. He drives Chick-fil-A's efforts to provide genuine hospitality, ensuring that customers have an exceptional dining experience in a Chick-fil-A restaurant. Based on Matthew 5:41, Cathy is on a mission to provide customers with "second-mile" service -- exceeding even the highest expectations of a typical fast-food restaurant.

"We don't claim to be a Christian business," Cathy told the Biblical Recorder in a recent visit to North Carolina. He attended a business leadership conference many years ago where he heard Christian businessman Fred Roach say, "There is no such thing as a Christian business." 

"That got my attention," Cathy said. Roach went on to say, "Christ never died for a corporation. He died for you and me."

"In that spirit ... [Christianity] is about a personal relationship. Companies are not lost or saved, but certainly individuals are," Cathy added.

"But as an organization we can operate on biblical principles. So that is what we claim to be. [We are] based on biblical principles, asking God and pleading with God to give us wisdom on decisions we make about people and the programs and partnerships we have. And He has blessed us."

Rather than leading from his corporate office in Atlanta, Cathy chooses to spend the majority of his time traveling to the chain's growing family of restaurants and interacting with Chick-fil-A's committed team members. His actions stem from a belief that working in the field provides a clearer understanding of the needs of Chick-fil-A customers. Leading from the front line also enables him personally to convey his servant spirit to the chain's 61,000-plus employees.

Cathy believes strongly that Christians are missionaries in the workplace. "Jesus had a lot of things to say about people who work and live in the business community," he said. His goal in the workplace is "to take biblical truth and put skin on it. ... We're talking about how our performance in the workplace should be the focus of how we build respect, rapport and relationships with others that opens the gateway to interest people in knowing God.

"All throughout the New Testament there is an evangelism strategy related to our performance in the workplace. ... Our work should be an act of worship. Our work should be our mission field. As long as we are stateside, let's don't think we have to go on mission trips by getting a passport. ... If you're obedient to God you are going to be evangelistic in the quality of the work you do, using that as a portal to share [Christ]," he said.

When asked if Chick-fil-A's success is attributed to biblical values, Cathy quickly said, "I think they're inseparable. God wants to give us wisdom to make good decisions and choices." Quoting James 1:5, he spoke of how often he asks God for wisdom.

"Frequently Jesus challenged us to just ask ... we're simply not asking as often as we should. We need to be more faithful to depend on a God who does love us and wants to have a relationship with us, and wants to give us the desires of our hearts."

There is another success story attributed to Cathy's organization. They have a positive influence in the world of Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) and Southeastern Conference (SEC) football.

There was a time when the Atlanta college football bowl game, which is now named after Chick-fil-A, was called the Peach Bowl. The annual bowl features teams from the ACC and the SEC. It struggled for a long time. Then 15 years ago the Chick-fil-A organization got involved. It was rebranded as the Chick-fil-A Bowl and has been incredibly successful with 15 consecutive sellouts.

"We are the only bowl that has an invocation. It's in our agreement that if Chick-fil-A is associated in this, there's going to be an invocation. Also, we don't have our bowl on Sunday, either," Cathy said.

In 2008 Chick-fil-A began sponsoring a Chick-fil-A Kickoff game matching two of the nation's top teams and hosted on the first weekend of the season in the same stadium (Georgia Dome) as the Chick-fil-A Bowl. This year Chick-fil-A will host two kickoff games, one on Friday and one on Saturday. 

"That's never been done before," he said.

The pair of Chick-fil-A Kickoff games is expected to generate more than $60 million in economic impact. The bowl website describes the event as "a college football celebration of epic proportions."

When questioned about Chick-Fil-A's "Closed on Sunday" policy Cathy responded, "It was not an issue in 1946 when we opened up our first restaurant. But as living standards changed and lifestyles changed, people came to be more active on Sundays."

The policy has not changed over the years as malls began changing their policies by opening on Sundays. 

"We've always put in our lease that we will be closed on Sundays," Cathy said. "We've had a track record that we were generating more business in six days than the other tenants were generating in seven [days]."

"While developers had no identity whatsoever with our corporate purpose to 'glorify God and be a faithful steward of all that is entrusted to us and have a positive influence on all that come in contact with Chick-fil-A,' they did identify with the rent checks that we wrote to the mall, that were based on our sales.

"So, they would make an exception for Chick-fil-A when they wouldn't make an exception for anybody else, simply because they knew we would pay them more in rent than any other tenant would that was open even seven days a week."

The company invests in Christian growth and ministry through its WinShape Foundation (WinShape.com). The name comes from the idea of shaping people to be winners.

It began as a college scholarship and expanded to a foster care program, an international ministry, and a conference and retreat center modeled after the Billy Graham Training Center at the Cove.

"That morphed into a marriage program in conjunction with national marriage ministries," Cathy added. 

Some have opposed the company's support of the traditional family. "Well, guilty as charged," said Cathy when asked about the company's position.

"We are very much supportive of the family -- the biblical definition of the family unit. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that.

"We operate as a family business ... our restaurants are typically led by families; some are single. We want to do anything we possibly can to strengthen families. We are very much committed to that," Cathy emphasized.

"We intend to stay the course," he said. "We know that it might not be popular with everyone, but thank the Lord, we live in a country where we can share our values and operate on biblical principles."
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 9:12 PM
Replies (401-410):
grandmab125
by Gold Member on Jul. 26, 2012 at 1:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting LadyByrdNest:

Quoting lga1965:

LadyBirdNest reminds of a couple of those "ladies" on "Good Christian Belles" , that fun series that was just cancelled. Know what I mean? She's got her professional photograph as her Avatar, wearing her cute cowboy hat and perfect make-up ( I wonder why she wants to look so good to a bunch of women on CM?) She is the "bless your heart" kind of woman who says "I can't stand her, " after you leave the room, LOL. And she is soooo good at twisting the truth and being a manipulator.

I don't care what she says anymore. I lost respect for her a few hours ago, after reading her replies.

Ugh.

Wow!  That's the best you can come up with?  A jealous rant by a wrinkled old lady aimed at a woman who is obviously much younger and prettier than you.  And, I'm sure Ladybird will lose a lot of sleep tonight, because you've lost your respect for her.  Get over yourself.

Here I am GrannyB....not so young but not as old as you must think I am.A few wrinkles but not too wrinkly.
And no,I'm not jealous of LBN. Then I'm just wondering why the attack on my physical appearance was warranted? If you simply thought me to be a little biased and narrow minded, well couldn't you have just stated so initially? I just think she is a  little too biased and narrow minded for being a youngster, I'm 44Usually young people are much more broad minded and acceptimg. She's not. It's called not being double-minded. My yes is yes, and my no's are no. Do you understand that saying? 
And I look pretty damn good and I FEEL good for my age which is really MORE important! Yes it is! 
Its really a sad thing that so many people are so hard on gays and lesbians who are not sinners. They have no choice. sinners CHOOSE to sin. To bad my aunt who was like a mother to me is dead now. She had no idea she was born gay. She always told be that she chose to be the way she was, that it was a choice wrought from pain, tragedy, and rage, but none-the-less, her choice to make. They are born gay and lesbian. What would you do if one of your kids or relatives were gay? I loved her and looked up to her for decades. Then I wiped the fluid from her nose and mouth, and fed her through the tube in her stomach. I swabbed her mouth with a wet sponge. I slept on the floor next to her hospital bed in a sleeping bag for 7 days, read to her, played her favorite Elvis gospel songs. Prayed for her. I held her when she took her last breath. Then after she was dead, I spiked her hair like she had always wore it, and applied her favorite pink lip gloss and painted her toe nails. No one else was there, no friends, no current or former lovers, just me, her niece. Your point?Hmmmm?

going crazyHoly crap.......

That's your response?  You get snarky with Ladybird, she responds and pours out her heart about the death of her aunt and your answer is Holy crap?  Unbelievable.  How about an "I'm sorry for your loss, Ladybird".  That would be the "polite and civil" thing to do...two words you're always throwing around.  Your lack of class and common sense is just beyond comprehension.

And since I think you also aimed that comment about what would you do if one of your kids was gay at me, see my answer above...under my condolences to Ladybird...oh and don't miss what I had to say about my gay brother.

grandma B

LadyByrdNest
by on Jul. 26, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Quoting grandmab125:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting LadyByrdNest:

Quoting lga1965:

LadyBirdNest reminds of a couple of those "ladies" on "Good Christian Belles" , that fun series that was just cancelled. Know what I mean? She's got her professional photograph as her Avatar, wearing her cute cowboy hat and perfect make-up ( I wonder why she wants to look so good to a bunch of women on CM?) She is the "bless your heart" kind of woman who says "I can't stand her, " after you leave the room, LOL. And she is soooo good at twisting the truth and being a manipulator.

I don't care what she says anymore. I lost respect for her a few hours ago, after reading her replies.

Ugh.

Wow!  That's the best you can come up with?  A jealous rant by a wrinkled old lady aimed at a woman who is obviously much younger and prettier than you.  And, I'm sure Ladybird will lose a lot of sleep tonight, because you've lost your respect for her.  Get over yourself.

Here I am GrannyB....not so young but not as old as you must think I am.A few wrinkles but not too wrinkly.
And no,I'm not jealous of LBN. Then I'm just wondering why the attack on my physical appearance was warranted? If you simply thought me to be a little biased and narrow minded, well couldn't you have just stated so initially? I just think she is a  little too biased and narrow minded for being a youngster, I'm 44Usually young people are much more broad minded and acceptimg. She's not. It's called not being double-minded. My yes is yes, and my no's are no. Do you understand that saying? 
And I look pretty damn good and I FEEL good for my age which is really MORE important! Yes it is! 
Its really a sad thing that so many people are so hard on gays and lesbians who are not sinners. They have no choice. sinners CHOOSE to sin. To bad my aunt who was like a mother to me is dead now. She had no idea she was born gay. She always told be that she chose to be the way she was, that it was a choice wrought from pain, tragedy, and rage, but none-the-less, her choice to make. They are born gay and lesbian. What would you do if one of your kids or relatives were gay? I loved her and looked up to her for decades. Then I wiped the fluid from her nose and mouth, and fed her through the tube in her stomach. I swabbed her mouth with a wet sponge. I slept on the floor next to her hospital bed in a sleeping bag for 7 days, read to her, played her favorite Elvis gospel songs. Prayed for her. I held her when she took her last breath. Then after she was dead, I spiked her hair like she had always wore it, and applied her favorite pink lip gloss and painted her toe nails. No one else was there, no friends, no current or former lovers, just me, her niece. Your point?Hmmmm?

That's your response?  You get snarky with Ladybird, she responds and pours out her heart about the death of her aunt and your answer is Holy crap?  Unbelievable.  How about an "I'm sorry for your loss, Ladybird".  That would be the "polite and civil" thing to do...two words you're always throwing around.  Your lack of class and common sense is just beyond comprehension.

And since I think you also aimed that comment about what would you do if one of your kids was gay at me, see my answer above...under my condolences to Ladybird...oh and don't miss what I had to say about my gay brother.

I think you may have raised the bar to high and expected far to much from Iga. When you learn to expect less from those like her, then you can be pleasantly surprised if they ever do actually show any genuine empathy. But still, don't expect to much, she's limited. 

Thank you for your kind words and support. G'nite. :)

grandmab125
by Gold Member on Jul. 26, 2012 at 1:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting LadyByrdNest:

Quoting grandmab125:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting LadyByrdNest:

Quoting lga1965:

Ugh.

I think you may have raised the bar to high and expected far to much from Iga. When you learn to expect less from those like her, then you can be pleasantly surprised if they ever do actually show any genuine empathy. But still, don't expect to much, she's limited. 

Thank you for your kind words and support. G'nite. :)

Your welcome.  I know, I'm constantly disappointed with the lack of civility in today's society.  It seems like manners, empathy, expressions of sympathy, all of the nicities of life are rapidly disappearing.

Any way, you have a good night too.

grandma B

GoGirl1983
by on Jul. 26, 2012 at 2:21 AM
I give them my full support. "A Man That Doesn't Stand For Something, Stands For Nothing." Everyone already knew that this company was owned by Christians. I am black and against the KKK. Would you scorn me too?
shadenn766
ok, I cant get into any group...whats going on with this site?????, anybody else having trouble?
Today at 11:37 AM
by on Jul. 26, 2012 at 8:43 AM
2 moms liked this

whomever it is thats bashing him for his views...leave the man alone...im sure there are things in everybodys lives that we like and or dislike...we all have the right to choose...

people are making a big stink about nothing...when they should find something more productive to do in their own everyday lives... than to stress people over their choices/ beliefs/opinions and ideas

Quoting LadyByrdNest:

Quoting shadenn766:

the man has the right to like or dislike whatever he wants...he has choices just like everybody else

why is it that when you dont agree with the majority Who's the majority in this case?  ...you're bashed and protested against...smh

shadenn766
ok, I cant get into any group...whats going on with this site?????, anybody else having trouble?
by on Jul. 26, 2012 at 8:46 AM

when you (all protesters) get a chicken restaurant, then you can run it how you want...in the meantime allow mr. chick-fil-a do his thing...either you buy his product or you dont...sheesh

he dosen't have to support gay marriage ...or any ytpe of marriage if he dosen't want to

shadenn766
by on Jul. 26, 2012 at 8:50 AM

choices...either buy the chicken...or dont...that simple...move on

Quoting Friday:

Quoting shadenn766:

the man has the right to like or dislike whatever he wants...he has choices just like everybody else

why is it that when you dont agree with the majority ...you're bashed and protested against...smh

Of course he does and we can choose not to support his company. Easy.

You mean like how the (way less than a)Million Moms boycotted JCP because they hired Ellen Degeneres as their spokesperson?

i.heart.nerds
by on Jul. 26, 2012 at 9:03 AM
1 mom liked this
I am happy he is sticking to his beliefs.
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jul. 26, 2012 at 9:41 AM

momtoabackc
by Member on Jul. 26, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Quoting Euphoric:

This guy is entitled to his beliefs, but he's a complete idiot and hypocrite. Family values? Doesn't the bible teach people to not be judgemental? Everybody on earth sins. He is targeting only one type of sin. Shame on him for his ignorance.

Do you seriously think he only has views on this? I'm sure he has opinions on other things he views as sin. Just because this particular one is the topic of this conversation he had doesn't mean it's the only "sin" he has an opinion of.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)