Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

3 year old weighs 12 pounds...

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 1:34 PM
Jes
  • 18 Replies
JOPLIN, Mo. - Two women face child endangerment charges after an emaciated three-year-old child -- who weighed just over 12 pounds, according to police -- was taken to a Joplin hospital July 1.

Joplin police arrested the child's mother, Beth A. Williams, 26, of Joplin, and her roommate Christina M. Haidle, 27, on July 21 and recommended first-degree child endangerment charges for the two after the girl was taken to Freeman Hospital from the home.

Charges have since been filed by the Jasper County Prosecuting Attorney's office.

Source:
http://www.ky3.com/news/ky3-threeyearold-child-malnourished-weighed-just-12-pounds-mother-roommate-arrested-20120724,0,3516717.story

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 1:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Jul. 25, 2012 at 2:26 PM
1 mom liked this
Waiting for more on the child's status....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rfurlongg
by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 2:28 PM
Do we know what prompted the hospital visit?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jul. 25, 2012 at 2:30 PM
Was the child ill or was it from starvation? I can't imagine what that poor child went through.
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Jul. 25, 2012 at 2:33 PM
From what I've read the police brought her to the hospital after responding to an anonymous call and getting the child from the home
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Jul. 25, 2012 at 2:35 PM
Update....
While at the hospital it was discovered the child was suffering from very low blood sugar and a low body temperature.

The child appeared to be emaciated and suffering from malnutrition. The critically ill child weighed just over 12 lbs and was flown to a hospital in Springfield.

Detectives continued to investigate the case, interviewing medical professionals. The investigation revealed severe malnutrition of the child with no known medical reason for the growth failure of the child.

The mother of the child, Beth A. Williams, 26 years old and a roommate, Christina M. Haidle, 27 years old of 1407 S. Pennsylvania, Joplin, were arrested on July 21, 2012 for Endangering the Welfare of a Child 1st Degree. Charges have filed by the Jasper County Prosecutor’s Office.

The child is listed in stable condition at this time. The investigation continues.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
a5hl3yC
by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 2:37 PM

This is such a sad story I have no idea how someone can live with a child and not see the pain they are putting them through and think nothing of it

GingerNeeSmith
by Member on Jul. 25, 2012 at 2:38 PM

so sad. That poor baby. how can someone be so mean to an innocent little child?

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jul. 25, 2012 at 2:38 PM
If they did indeed starve that child I hope they get the max penalty that includes jail time. Let's of it.
LML1
by New Member on Jul. 25, 2012 at 2:41 PM

OH my goodness. I couldn't even imagine what that poor child must have endured. My daughter will be turning 3 soon and she's 34 lbs.

LadySaphira
by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 2:44 PM

wow, and I thought my youngest son was scrawny at 2 because he only weighed 24lbs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN