Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Gun Control is Dead

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 4:30 AM
  • 26 Replies

I wish it weren't, but you can't turn back a tide nor can you uninvent an idea once invented.

(source)

"An American gunsmith has become the first person to construct and shoot a pistol partly made out of plastic, 3D-printed parts. The creator, who goes by the name HaveBlue and is an AR-15/M16 enthusiast, has reportedly fired 200 rounds with his part-plastic pistol without any sign of wear and tear. HaveBlue's custom creation is a .22-caliber pistol, formed from a 3D-printed AR-15 (M16) lower receiver, and a normal, commercial upper. In other words, the main body of the gun is plastic, while the chamber — where the bullets are actually struck — is solid metal. ... While this pistol obviously wasn't created from scratch using a 3D printer, the interesting thing is that the lower receiver — in a legal sense at least — is what actually constitutes a firearm. This means that people without gun licenses — or people who have had their licenses revoked — could print their own lower receiver and build a complete, off-the-books gun."

by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 4:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sherry132
by Silver Member on Jul. 27, 2012 at 4:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Somebody is going to wind up dead with this. They are going to build it wrong and kill themselves or someone in the room. I'm all for guns, but stupid reckless shit like this pisses me off. 

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Jul. 27, 2012 at 6:59 AM
2 moms liked this

The entire gun can be made from scratch.

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Jul. 27, 2012 at 7:01 AM
People can build them now. The parts can be purchased separately. Heck they can make a gun out of a regular, everyday garage door opener.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kate_Momof3
by Silver Member on Jul. 27, 2012 at 7:04 AM
2 moms liked this

And that's where Darwin's Theory of Evolution comes into play. Perhaps this is man's way of weeding out the stupid.

Quoting sherry132:

Somebody is going to wind up dead with this. They are going to build it wrong and kill themselves or someone in the room. I'm all for guns, but stupid reckless shit like this pisses me off. 

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Concept weapon: The Reinforced AR-15 Lower Receiver

A “gun” has many parts but only one part is regulated and serialized.  The ability to fabricate the lower-receiver on a gun and then purchase the un-regulated parts on the open market results in a weapon that exists without regulation.    You can do this today, with the right equipment by downloading this file and following the instructions here or below.    This however is not the same thing as making a 100% 3D printable gun, using a printer that is produced using 3D printable parts.    The community of gun owners and supporters needs you

The Above AR-15 is mostly after-market parts, but the regulated component is 3D printed

Tools Required:

A 3d Printer
>>download this file<<
A
bunch of easily purchased after-market parts

Instructions

If you have access to a CAD package, I highly recommend working from the original IGES file and not an STL if you want to print a lower receiver. Firearms require a good deal more precision than a Bre Pettis bobblehead, and working from a proper CAD model will allow you to tweak hole diameters and add reinforcement in critical areas. In this case, I opted to add extra support to the front takedown pin lugs, added an integral trigger guard, and reinforced the area around the bolt hold. However, I’m still skeptical of how well the bolt hold crosspin holes will fare and will test without that feature to start with.

Justin’s original IGES file actually has the buffer tube threads as modeled features, so I output the STL at a very high resolution (hence the 46 meg file). Much to my delight, when I printed the receiver on my Stratasys, a buffer tube could be screwed right into the rear of the receiver with no touchup of the threads needed (a good thing, as the special 1-3/16″-16 tap for the threads is rather expensive).

As this is a rather complex part, I recommend printing it out at 75% scale first (you can see my original 75% stock lower next to the final full size reinforced lower in one of the pictures). You’ll save a lot of time and material this way and get a good idea of how well features will be preserved on a full size print. I used PP3DP UP! filament for the 75% model and switched to black Bolson ABS for the full print. I’d love to try a polycarbonate/ABS blend for this part, but I have no idea if my printer will handle such material.

I have not yet tried fitting the receiver with the trigger group and other components – I may need to ream some of the holes and then sleeve with brass bushings to maintain the needed accuracy. However, I’m very pleased with the receiver thus far and have a .22 conversion kit that I’ll be using once I’m ready for live fire tests.

CREDIT:

The AR-15 design was designed by Michael Guslick, (HaveBlue).  The design for his AR-15 lower receiver is not to be confused with the M-16 lower receiver.  The distinction being an AR-15 is legal for civilian ownership, while the M-16 design allows for select fire and is thus essentially illegal for civilian ownership since 1986.

krysstizzle
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Interesting. 

I need to mull over that video for a bit. 

charleyd68
by Platinum Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 5:41 PM

WOW

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Dec. 15, 2012 at 2:39 AM

BUMP! in wake of recent tragedy so, since people are discussing gun control, they can at least take all the factors into account.

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Dec. 15, 2012 at 2:43 AM

well there goes my safe little neck of the woods :-(

SEEKEROFSHELLS
by Platinum Member on Dec. 15, 2012 at 3:12 AM

Awesome  post and needs to be bumped.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)