Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

So why......

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 10:15 PM
Jes
  • 142 Replies
1 mom liked this
Palestine is recognized as a country and participates as such in the Olympics.

So why do others not recognize this?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 10:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Jul. 27, 2012 at 10:18 PM
2 moms liked this

Good question.

Why dont we recognize them and stop the apartheid that is going on there?

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Jul. 27, 2012 at 10:19 PM
PJ - I honestly didn't think they participated so I looked it up and I was very surprised!

The Olympic committee gave them the country initials PLE and they "represent the country of Palestine"

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Jul. 27, 2012 at 10:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

PJ - I honestly didn't think they participated so I looked it up and I was very surprised!

The Olympic committee gave them the country initials PLE and they "represent the country of Palestine"

Oh yes, they are. I have pic posted on my fb of them at the opening ceremony

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Jul. 27, 2012 at 10:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Palestine’s Schedule at the 2012 Olympics

Maher Abu Rmilah, Bahaa Al Farra, Ahmed Gebrel, Sabine Hazboun, and Woroud Sawalha will represent Palestine at this year’s Summer Games in London. The following is a quick reference guide listing all the events in which these Palestinian athletes will compete.

SATURDAY, JULY 28 AT 10:52
Men’s 400m Freestyle Swim

Ahmed Gebrel will race in the first Heat in Lane 6. His qualifying time makes him the least likely to move onto the Final though he might pose a challenge to Allan Gutierrez Castro from Honduras who will be swimming in Lane 3. Keep up with him here.

MONDAY, JULY 30 AT 10:19
Men’s Judo (73 kg)

Maher Abu Rmilah will face off with Belgium’s Dirk van Tichelt in the Elimination Round of 32. Abu Rmilah will be wearing blue. If he beats van Tichelt, he will advance to the next round and face the winner between Hong Kong’s Chi Yip Cheung and the United States’ Nicholas Delpopolo. Keep up with him here.

Note: Of the five athletes representing Palestine at the Olympic Games, Abu Rmilah was the only one who qualified to compete. The others, in many cases unable to attend qualifications, were invited by the Olympics Committee.

FRIDAY, AUGUST 3 AT 10:00
Women’s 50m Freestyle Swim

Sabine Hazboun will race in the fourth Heat in Lane 6. She is one of the favorites to win her heat and her qualifying time puts her within reach of advancing to the semifinals later that day. She is the youngest member of this year’s Palestinian Olympic team. Follow her here.

SATURDAY, AUGUST 4 AT 10:35
Men’s 400m

Bahaa Al Faraa will race in the first round of the 400m sprint where he will have the opportunity to qualify for the semifinals the following day. Follow him here.

WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 8 AT 11:35
Women’s 800m

Woroud Sawalha will race in the first round of the half-mile run where she will have the opportunity to qualify for the semifinals the following day. Speed and stamina are key for this race. Follow her here.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Jul. 27, 2012 at 10:37 PM
Does the woman wear her headwear while swimming?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Jul. 27, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Does the woman wear her headwear while swimming?

Probably.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jul. 27, 2012 at 11:32 PM
Wait. Who doesn't recognize Palestine?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Jul. 27, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

The US, Israel, to name a few. This is from Wiki:

Countries that have recognised the State of Palestine.

The countries in green are the ones who recognize Palestine, the rest, do not.

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Jul. 27, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Home > Newsinfo > Latest News Stories > World > More than 100 countries recognize Palestine as a state

More than 100 countries recognize Palestine as a state

32  21

PARIS—After Iceland’s formal recognition of the Palestinian state on Thursday, at least 112 countries around the world have recognized Palestine, according to an AFP count.

In Latin America, Uruguay and Peru joined the growing ranks of countries which recognized Palestine this year, with 12 out of the region’s 13 countries formally recognizing it as a state.

Only Colombia, a key ally of the United States in the region, has not followed that path.

In Central America, the Palestinian state has been recognised by Cuba, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras and Salvador.

Arab countries have also recognized Palestine, notably Syria in July of this year.

In Europe, Iceland became one of the few Western European countries and NATO members to do so, joining the Czech Republic, Hungary, Malta and Poland.

Around 150 countries maintain diplomatic relations with the Palestinians in one form or another.

Palestine currently has “observer” status at the United Nations, but in September, president Mahmud Abbas formally asked the United Nations for full state membership.

In October, Palestine was granted full membership at the UN cultural organization, UNESCO, in a diplomatic victory won despite stiff resistance from the United States and Israel.

Earlier this week, Abbas urged the European Union to support their UN membership bid after the Palestinian flag was raised over the UNESCO’s headquarters for the first time.

Figures published by the Palestine Liberation Organization indicate that 130 countries have recognized Palestine.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Jul. 27, 2012 at 11:53 PM
Thankfully most do now but there are still many that do not....

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN