Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

EXTRA, EXTRA................... RACISM IS OBSOLETE?

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 2:31 AM
  • 100 Replies

Mississippi Church Refuses To Marry BLACK Couple.

The date was set,the invitations sent, but one day before the big day,they learned that the church's congregation didn't want a black couple married in their church. Now,Mr. and Mrs. Wilson were told to find another venue. Both Charles and Te'Andrea attended the First Baptist Church of Crystal Springs Mississippi,but have never become members.The  Congregation both Black and White were blown-away after learning how the church and certain worshippers behaved. 

For the article,the Link is: http://news.yahoo.com/mississippi-church-refuses-marry-black-couple-205218322--abc-news-topstories.html

Apparently there has never been a Black couple married in this church..................ever! This church was founded in 1885.

The Pastor was "confused" and disagreed with members of the congregation,however he caved because his "flock"threatened to fire HIM(he is white)! He officiated the Wilson's nuptials but at a predominantly Black church,which the original church is not!

Thoughts?

Is anyone surprised by this?

How is this church a house of GOD?

The only way Evil can triumph is for good women to do nothing!

*REAL TALK*

by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 2:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VintageWife
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 2:36 AM
3 moms liked this

Oh wow...that's just sad and wrong. I can't believe that let him still marry them :(

charleyd68
by Platinum Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 2:40 AM

That's a GOOD point. People like that seem to me wouldn't let the Pastor moonlight. Maybe they felt they were altruistic!

Quoting VintageWife:

Oh wow...that's just sad and wrong. I can't believe that let him still marry them :(

*REAL TALK*

gamama6
by Michelle on Jul. 29, 2012 at 2:42 AM
2 moms liked this
It is Mississippi so no I am not surprised...pissed by it though :/
charleyd68
by Platinum Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 2:54 AM
1 mom liked this

I can't say I am surprised either. Mainly because we have a black President, the subtleties are gone,but Blatant is coming back on STRONG,Again!

Quoting gamama6:

It is Mississippi so no I am not surprised...pissed by it though :/

*REAL TALK*

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this

am I surprised at this? Sadly, no, I am not surprised.

how is this church a house of God? I do not think it is a house of God. I think it is a house of racism and hate.

(partial)Kudos to the pastor for picking up and moving the ceremony to another church. I undersatnd where the p[astor is coming from- this is his life work and he could be fired. He has his own family to think of and sometiems it comes down to finaces and being able to put food on the table for his family. I would not doubt he will be fired anyway sooner than later since he did take a (partial) stand and went behind the churches back for marrying this couple anyway.

Racsim obsolete? No Way! Not by any stretch of the imagination.

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 11:50 AM
1 mom liked this

I am horrified that he caved.  He is supposed to be a spiritual leader, and he should have told those people why they were wrong.

Quote:

The Pastor was "confused" and disagreed with members of the congregation,however he caved because his "flock"threatened to fire HIM(he is white)! He officiated the Wilson's nuptials but at a predominantly Black church,which the original church is not!

Amyinthesky
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 1:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I hate people! why is the church allowed to get away with this.

gammie
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 1:59 PM
1 mom liked this
I wish the pastor would of stood his ground and married them in their church .

WWGD Kick the hateful people out!
tweety101149
by Platinum Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 2:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Yep wish I could say I was shocked..., but not if it is Mississippi.., they didn't even allow inter-racial marriage until recently, well 45 years ago, and now many lawmakers in Mississippi want to be make it illegal again. 

nterracial marriage should be illegal, say 46% of Mississippi Republicans in new poll

Eleven years into the 21st century, a new poll indicates there are a lot of Mississippi Republicans still living in the past.

A survey conducted last month shows 46% of GOP voters in the state believe interracial marriage should be illegal - a plurality of the people questioned.

Forty percent felt mixed-race weddings should remain legal, while 14% said they were not sure in the survey conducted by Public Policy Polling of Raleigh, N.C.

The poll, conducted between March 24 and 27, showed 76% of the respondents considered themselves somewhat or very conservative.

And it reflected the views of older Mississippi residents: 68% of the respondents were age 46 or older. The polls had a margin of error of plus or minus 4.9%.

Interracial marriage in Mississippi became legal in 1967 after a U.S. Supreme Court ruling forced the state to change its laws.

lhttp://articles.nydailynews.com/2011-04-08/news/29415165_1_new-poll-respondents-public-policy-polling

butterfly on headlynda  

Stephanie329
by Platinum Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 2:30 PM
2 moms liked this
Agree. If they're that hateful, I'm surprised they still didn't fire him. What dicks they are.

Quoting VintageWife:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)