Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Boy, 9, Survives Being Shot in the Head By His Dad

Posted by   + Show Post

Boy, 9, Survives Being Shot in the Head By His Dad

A Massachusetts man shot two of his children, killing one of them and wounding the other, before he turned the gun on himself and committed suicide, police said.

When Oxford police arrived at the Benway home at about 5 p.m. Saturday, they found Daryl Benway, 41, and his daughter Abigail, 7, dead on the floor in the master bedroom, according to the Worchester Telegram and Gazette. They found Owen, 9, shot in the head on the kitchen floor, but still alive.

Law enforcement officials said they think Benway shot his children before he shot himself.

"It doesn't get much worse than this. It is a horrible scene," Worcester County District Attorney Joseph Early said at a press conference.

It happened during a thunder storm, masking the sound for everyone but Benway's brother, who lived on the first floor of the home and called police, according WCVB, ABC's Boston affiliate. Owen was taken to the pediatric intensive care unit of a nearby UMass Memorial Children's Medical Center in Worcester, where he was in serious condition, according to WCVB.

Benway had separated from his wife three or four weeks ago and had no criminal record, according to WCVB.

According to Benway's Facebook page, he worked for TJX Companies, which owns retail stores including TJ Maxx and Marshalls. Friends who have written on his profile expressed loss and confusion. Some wrote that they think he's innocent.

Twitter user @Zaackaattack, whose profile says he's from Oxford, wrote, "I can't believe he killed his kids. I've known him my whole life. NEVER would have expected it. It's a #madworld."

by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 8:43 PM
Replies (21-30):
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 10:43 PM
Should this be in the what is going on in the white community file?

What a coward..couldn't face the life he chose so he murders his children..selfish loser coward
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
survivorinohio
by René on Jul. 29, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Thats awful:(

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

Godgaveme4
by Platinum Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Thank goodness you have that right to have the chance to voice your opinion.

It is not easy to buy a gun.  Well not anymore.  If it were easy i would be able to walk into Cabelas and walk out 10 minutes later with a handgun.

Instead I have to fill out a background check.  I have to have to fill out papers.  If i want to carry my handgun i have to apply fora permit.  that is not easy.

I remember when Alcohol, tobacco, and firearms were just somethng you could buy at teh local hardware, not a government agency.

And perhaps you and others should not make assumptions about gun owners.  None of the gun owners i have met on here or know in real life have that attitude.

Quoting lga1965:

No, getting guns in the USA is WAY too easy. That is my main point.You must be another gun lover,hmmm?There are millions of us who thnk guns are too easy to get and that the gun lovers have the old fashioned " we're cowboys, and you steal our horses, we shoot you" mentality. Deal with it. We have a voice too.

Quoting motherslove82:

No. (some) people suck. Guns are tools. This man did a horrible thing. The gun is just the tool he used. It could have been a knife or a bat. It's the person who is at fault.

Quoting lga1965:

This is so awful. And I bet he got his gun really easily and I bet he has been in dire need of mental health help for a long time but nobody did anything about it. Of course. The sickos and the druggies get their guns TOO easily and this is what happens.

OR there will be an accident where someone leaves their loaded gun out for the kids to handle or there will be someone hugging a person and their gun goes off.....see what I am saying?

Guns suck. Those poor little kids..

Godgaveme4
by Platinum Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

What a coward..couldn't face the life he chose so he murders his children..selfish loser coward

Sadly this is not something that happens in just one community.

I cannot imagine what was going through his head that made this sound like a good idea.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 11:15 PM

I know it doesnt

Quoting Godgaveme4:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Sadly this is not something that happens in just one community.

I cannot imagine what was going through his head that made this sound like a good idea.

lga1965
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 11:43 PM

yes ,it is easy. Anyone can buy guns at gun shows and online with no background checks.

And we can buy alcohol and cigs at stores in town here. Beer and wine, etc. Government agencies? Huh? Nope. We don't have that here.Where do you live?

Just keep blabbing about your lovely guns if it makes you feel powerful. It won't change my mind . Guns are bad news.

Quoting Godgaveme4:

It is not easy to buy a gun.  Well not anymore.  If it were easy i would be able to walk into Cabelas and walk out 10 minutes later with a handgun.

Instead I have to fill out a background check.  I have to have to fill out papers.  If i want to carry my handgun i have to apply fora permit.  that is not easy.

I remember when Alcohol, tobacco, and firearms were just somethng you could buy at teh local hardware, not a government agency.

And perhaps you and others should not make assumptions about gun owners.  None of the gun owners i have met on here or know in real life have that attitude.

Quoting lga1965:

No, getting guns in the USA is WAY too easy. That is my main point.You must be another gun lover,hmmm?There are millions of us who thnk guns are too easy to get and that the gun lovers have the old fashioned " we're cowboys, and you steal our horses, we shoot you" mentality. Deal with it. We have a voice too.

Quoting motherslove82:

No. (some) people suck. Guns are tools. This man did a horrible thing. The gun is just the tool he used. It could have been a knife or a bat. It's the person who is at fault.

Quoting lga1965:

This is so awful. And I bet he got his gun really easily and I bet he has been in dire need of mental health help for a long time but nobody did anything about it. Of course. The sickos and the druggies get their guns TOO easily and this is what happens.

OR there will be an accident where someone leaves their loaded gun out for the kids to handle or there will be someone hugging a person and their gun goes off.....see what I am saying?

Godgaveme4
by Platinum Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 11:53 PM

ATF is a government agency.  It stands for Alcohol,Tobacco and firearms.  It was a little joke.

I see you are believeing the stuff that Bloomberg and the brady bunch are telling you.

You cannot buy a gun from a dealer at a gun show without a background check.  It is not different than buying one in a store.  Sales between 2 private citizens is different.

IF you buy a gun on-line you have to have it shipped to a local gun store or dealer.  It is not shipped to your home.

I am not trying to feel powerful.  Just trying to make sure the correct information is being given.

And i am not trying to change your mind.  Again, I support your choice to not own a gun.  Each person knows what they are comfortable with.

Guns are not bad news, people are bad news.

Quoting lga1965:

yes ,it is easy. Anyone can buy guns at gun shows and online with no background checks.

And we can buy alcohol and cigs at stores in town here. Beer and wine, etc. Government agencies? Huh? Nope. We don't have that here.Where do you live?

Just keep blabbing about your lovely guns if it makes you feel powerful. It won't change my mind . Guns are bad news.

Quoting Godgaveme4:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting motherslove82:

Quoting lga1965:

ilovecandy
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 11:57 PM

So sad. Its always disgusting and sad to see when a parent kills their children because they split up from the other parent for who knows what reason (child support, doesnt want custody battle, stuff like that, cant stand the thought of not having or having to share the kids, if i cant have them no one will etc...) who knows the reason but its still sad

tambrathegreat
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 7:02 AM

Law enforcement officials said they think Benway shot his children before he shot himself.

Uh, isn't that the way murder/suicide usually works?

batmansgirl
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 8:36 AM

Remember the mother of 5 in Texas who drowned her children in the bathtub? Does water sux also? It's the person who commits these horrible crimes, not the weapon.

Quoting lga1965:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN