Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

NYC hospitals are cutting back on the amount of formula they keep in stock.  Documentation about the reason for each bottle must be made.  Each bottle that is given to the baby is to come with more info about breast feeding.  What do you think?  Should women be chastised for choosing not to breastfeed?

by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 11:01 AM
Replies (31-40):
mommychelle01
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 12:34 PM

I didn't interpret this as a "lecture" but more as information. Which really may not be a bad thing. A lot of women are truly just not informed about breastfeeding. I know several women that have decided to breastfeed just because they were given a pamphlet on it and actually learned something about it.

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

While I'm not in favor of this sort of thing be legislated, I don't have a problem with individual hospitals making these changes on their own.    I think a lecture on breastfeeding before giving formula is a bit much.... but maybe it's more a disclaimer?   "Using the product mat impede your ability to breastfeed your baby which will put baby at risk for XYZ... etc"?   I'd have to see what it is they're actually going to say.

I think it's fantastic that they're going to put it more under lock and key and require reasoning for it.   That's more to keep the nurses in check so that formula and bottles aren't offered for reasons they aren't actually needed for (and potentially sabotaging new moms efforts).  . 

illinoismommy83
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Newborn babies are patients. Patients are supposed to be fed meals while in the hospital. Hospitals should provide food for patients of all ages.

ArmyGal
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 12:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I was done with my chemotherapy way before my DD was born so I went into the hospital not knowing my milk wouldn't come in. I didn't want to FF but it had to happen. Bring my own? Was I supposed to know that was going to happen?

Greenstone920
by Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 12:41 PM
2 moms liked this

This, exactly.  They gave my first born formula without my consent, and against my wishes, for no good reason except that I'd had a long and difficult labor, and they wanted me to get some rest.  It wasn't aware that they had given him formula until long after we had left the hospital, and I was pissed!!!  Luckily, it didn't hinder my breastfeeding him, but shit, when I specify on the little sheet that I plan on breastfeeding, don't sabotage me by giving my child formula.  

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

While I'm not in favor of this sort of thing be legislated, I don't have a problem with individual hospitals making these changes on their own.    I think a lecture on breastfeeding before giving formula is a bit much.... but maybe it's more a disclaimer?   "Using the product mat impede your ability to breastfeed your baby which will put baby at risk for XYZ... etc"?   I'd have to see what it is they're actually going to say.

I think it's fantastic that they're going to put it more under lock and key and require reasoning for it.   That's more to keep the nurses in check so that formula and bottles aren't offered for reasons they aren't actually needed for (and potentially sabotaging new moms efforts).  . 

MicheleJM
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Quoting futureshock:

Bloomberg's Breastfeeding Program, 'Latch On NYC,' Wants Hospitals To Hide Baby Formula

Breastfeeding Bloomberg New York

Starting in September, Mayor Bloomberg's push to encourage breastfeeding will incorporate a new program urging hospitals to keep baby formula under lockdown.

The latest installment of the city's "Latch On NYC" initiative will require new mothers seeking baby formula in the hospital to sign the formula out like medication.

The New York Post reports new mothers will not be denied formula, but if requested, they'll receive a mandated talk from staffers and nurses on why they should opt out.

27 out of the city's 40 hospitals have also agreed to forgo handing out gift bags containing products branded with formula-logos.

In 2011, Rhode Island became the first state to end the widespread practice of giving away free goody bags of formula to mothers and their babies. Months later in July, Massachusetts followed suit.

Earlier this year, the city's health department launched an education program sponsored by the World Health Organization and aimed at teaching new mothers the benefits of breastfeeding over baby formula.

The health benefits of breastfeeding are well-documented and include a significantly reduced risk of childhood obesity and a stronger immune system.

Even so, many mothers believe the decision ultimately lies upon mothers and they say the mayor should butt out.

Upon hearing news of the initiative, a mother told The Post, "If they put pressure on me, I would get annoyed. It’s for me to choose.”

But health officials are applauding the city for its latest push.

Health Commissioner Thomas Farley introduced Latch On in May and said, "Human breast milk is best for babies and mothers...With this initiative the New York City health community is joining together to support mothers who choose to breastfeed.”

A poster from "Latch On NYC" below:

breastfeeding nyc

Well the mothers are not being denied the formula, just strongly encouraged to bf.  Probably the costs of keeping formula vs profit vs health insurance company pressure is what is driving this. It's probably a cost cutting measure.  I don't see a problem with encouraging moms to bf.  It's cheaper and easier, better for the baby.  Not to say if you ff you're a lousy mom of course.  What mothers do is their own business.

Greenstone920
by Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 12:44 PM

And **ideally** those meals should be coming from the mother's breasts, as nature intended them too, not from a factory made bottle of formula.

Quoting illinoismommy83:

Newborn babies are patients. Patients are supposed to be fed meals while in the hospital. Hospitals should provide food for patients of all ages.

Gabeys_Mommy
by Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 12:44 PM
This.

Quoting chazmom01:

Its women choice and again they are invading on our right to deside for our self

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Jul. 30, 2012 at 12:46 PM
3 moms liked this
I'm glad I moved OUT of NYC.

The mayor is a nannyass.

Quoting Euphoric:

I'm glad I don't live in NYC.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Jul. 30, 2012 at 12:47 PM
2 moms liked this
It's no one's business but that mother's on how she wants to feed her child.

Quoting Greenstone920:

And **ideally** those meals should be coming from the mother's breasts, as nature intended them too, not from a factory made bottle of formula.

Quoting illinoismommy83:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Jul. 30, 2012 at 12:47 PM
3 moms liked this
The Mayor is behind this. If I were giving birth in a NYC hospital and I requested formula, if someone wanted to give me some "mandatory opt out talk" - I'd toss that person out of my room. I am the paying patient and the mother of the child. No one will usurp that. I wouldn't even let them try.
Quoting MicheleJM:

Quoting futureshock:

Bloomberg's Breastfeeding Program, 'Latch On NYC,' Wants Hospitals To Hide Baby Formula

Breastfeeding Bloomberg New York

Starting in September, Mayor Bloomberg's push to encourage breastfeeding will incorporate a new program urging hospitals to keep baby formula under lockdown.

The latest installment of the city's "Latch On NYC" initiative will require new mothers seeking baby formula in the hospital to sign the formula out like medication.

The New York Post reports new mothers will not be denied formula, but if requested, they'll receive a mandated talk from staffers and nurses on why they should opt out.

27 out of the city's 40 hospitals have also agreed to forgo handing out gift bags containing products branded with formula-logos.

In 2011, Rhode Island became the first state to end the widespread practice of giving away free goody bags of formula to mothers and their babies. Months later in July, Massachusetts followed suit.

Earlier this year, the city's health department launched an education program sponsored by the World Health Organization and aimed at teaching new mothers the benefits of breastfeeding over baby formula.

The health benefits of breastfeeding are well-documented and include a significantly reduced risk of childhood obesity and a stronger immune system.

Even so, many mothers believe the decision ultimately lies upon mothers and they say the mayor should butt out.

Upon hearing news of the initiative, a mother told The Post, "If they put pressure on me, I would get annoyed. It’s for me to choose.”

But health officials are applauding the city for its latest push.

Health Commissioner Thomas Farley introduced Latch On in May and said, "Human breast milk is best for babies and mothers...With this initiative the New York City health community is joining together to support mothers who choose to breastfeed.”

A poster from "Latch On NYC" below:

breastfeeding nyc

Well the mothers are not being denied the formula, just strongly encouraged to bf.  Probably the costs of keeping formula vs profit vs health insurance company pressure is what is driving this. It's probably a cost cutting measure.  I don't see a problem with encouraging moms to bf.  It's cheaper and easier, better for the baby.  Not to say if you ff you're a lousy mom of course.  What mothers do is their own business.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)