Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Parents outraged at the violence in the violent video games they buy their kids

Posted by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 3:17 PM
  • 17 Replies

August 1, 2012 12:30 pm

Parents across America are furious that more isn’t being done to protect their children from the violence in the violent video games they regularly purchase for them.

Research conducted by Mothers Against Stuff We Don’t Understand (MASWDU) has found that a shocking 82.9% of children have been unwittingly exposed to violent imagery whilst playing violent, age restricted video games given to them by their parents.

Parents are now demanding immediate and urgent action.

“As a mother this makes me really angry”, said mother of three Jacky Bennison. “Just the other day I bought a copy of Saints Row The Third for my 8-year-old in the hope it might make him shut the hell up for a few goddamn minutes, but the next thing I know the little shit’s punching his brother in the nuts and bitch-slapping the cat."

“I mean seriously, when are the game developers or the government finally going to step up and take responsibility for the safety of my children? You know, that’s the problem with society today, no one is willing to take responsibility. It makes me sick!”

Jessica Farmer, a spokesman for MASWDU, stated that parents were right to be angry.

“Parents quite rightly expect to be able to leave their child unsupervised in front of a computer and for that child to be safe”, she said.

“To help protect our nation’s children our organisation has just launched a petition demanding that developers urgently remove the violence from their violent video games, preferably replacing it with healthy eating messages or perhaps something about the importance of dental hygiene.

“We’re not saying violent video games should be banned, but the violence in them certainly should”.

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 3:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
katy_kay08
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Is this from the Onion?  

young_lv_mom
by Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 3:21 PM
1 mom liked this
I hope so, I really hope they are not that stupid about what they buy.

Quoting katy_kay08:

Is this from the Onion?  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Quoting katy_kay08:

Is this from the Onion?  

It's from the dailypixel.com. Which is pretty much the same thing.

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

rfhsure
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 3:26 PM
1 mom liked this

that's what I was going to ask too. I like it. i agree on some levels that video games are too hyporealistic and violent, but I'd say the majority of them are rated appropriately, and can easily be avoided from keeping in the home if you don't want your kids to see it. Movies are a different story, the rating system is kind of rediculous and sometimes you never know what you're gonna get when you see something that's pg or pg13. but video games are pretty easy to tell just by looking at the cover what you're gonna get.

Lizard_Lina
by Silver Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 3:28 PM
Lmao that's pretty much the mentality
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ZanderandBella
by Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 3:30 PM
You'd be amazed at how many parents allow kids to play COD or games like that.
gsprofval
by Silver Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Some studies have shown that the violent video games can cause kids to be violent. That's why I don't allow the video games in my house.  I can't stand the hurting and killing--too graphic and my kids are older.

frogbender
by Captain Underpants on Aug. 2, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Um...these parents are idiots. Who just gives there children video games without previewing them? 

“As a mother this makes me really angry”, said mother of three Jacky Bennison. “Just the other day I bought a copy of Saints Row The Third for my 8-year-old in the hope it might make him shut the hell up for a few goddamn minutes, but the next thing I know the little shit’s punching his brother in the nuts and bitch-slapping the cat."

“I mean seriously, when are the game developers or the government finally going to step up and take responsibility for the safety of my children? You know, that’s the problem with society today, no one is willing to take responsibility. It makes me sick!”

Seriously? This must be a joke article. Please tell me that it's a joke. No wonder this country is listing like a ship taking on water if this is the average citizen's intelligence. For the love of lemons...

But then, I suppose the title of the group says it all...Mothers Against Stuff We Don’t Understand (MASWDU)

Maybe they should try this novel little thing called "learning". 

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 3:35 PM

It's satire of parents who feel the need to attack Violent Video games saying they should be taken away. Instead of just not buying them for their kids.

Quoting frogbender:

Um...these parents are idiots. Who just gives there children video games without previewing them? 

Seriously? This must be a joke article. Please tell me that it's a joke. No wonder this country is listing like a ship taking on water if this is the average citizen's intelligence. For the love of lemons...

But then, I suppose the title of the group says it all...Mothers Against Stuff We Don’t Understand (MASWDU)

Maybe they should try this novel little thing called "learning". 

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 3:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting gsprofval:

Some studies have shown that the violent video games can cause kids to be violent. That's why I don't allow the video games in my house.  I can't stand the hurting and killing--too graphic and my kids are older.

I am with you. I won't let either of my daughters play violent video games (Well when they become old enough to actually want to-If they ever want to).

But I wouldn't go out and try to stop companies from making violent video games.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)