Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

This weekend is Sea Fair weekend in Seattle and the highlight of the festival is the annual air show featuring the Darlings of the Navy...The Blue Angels.  

They are amazing to watch but one really can't ignore the fact that they are essentially a $40 million a year ad campaign.  Is this money well spent? Or should they be grounded in order to trim an bursting at the seams defence budget?  

This article is from last year but I'm posting it for background information

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2015832826_blueangels06m.html

by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 11:08 AM
Replies (41-50):
yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Aug. 3, 2012 at 2:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I think groups such as this are important for moral and for patriotism.  They bring millions into the community when they come.  We just had the Thunderbirds here. 

I will say though that I bet my husband could trim some of that budget and they wouldn't even feel it.  He runs a lean mean military machine.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Aug. 3, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Quoting mikiemom:

DoD outpaces all other Federal Agency budgets. Hate to say it but there is plenty of room to cut in the defense budget. As much as I hate to say that as a government contractor, it is true.

The major airshows are not being cut out but they are being cut - down. The big problem is the way the DoD spends money. They POM 5 years out for the budget, they get an annual PB (presidents approved budget every year) if they don't spend it all they don't get that much next year. There is no incentive to cut budgets. Much of the budget cuts should come naturally as we drawn down from two shooting wars overseas. The problem is much of our warfighting infrustructure is old and worn out and needs updating but that takes money that we don't have. If your curious google F-22 budget and or F-35 budget to see the type of $$ we are talking aboutl

Quoting momof31995:

How about hands off the military and cut the extreme pay our idiots in government figures are getting.

This^^^ !  It is very frustrating for guys like my husband.  He saved more than $200,000 by not replacing the fleece jackets when they started putting the name tapes on them...instead he ordered in velcro and had it sewn on the existing jackets which were practically new.  That savings cost him though and it is ridiculous.

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Aug. 3, 2012 at 2:49 PM

I think they should be grounded! IMO it is a waste of spending right now..

katy_kay08
by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 2:49 PM

maybe the communities that are benefiting by the revenue influx should cover more of the budget.  

Quoting yourspecialkid:

I think groups such as this are important for moral and for patriotism.  They bring millions into the community when they come.  We just had the Thunderbirds here. 

I will say though that I bet my husband could trim some of that budget and they wouldn't even feel it.  He runs a lean mean military machine.

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 3, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting mikiemom:

DoD outpaces all other Federal Agency budgets. Hate to say it but there is plenty of room to cut in the defense budget. As much as I hate to say that as a government contractor, it is true.

The major airshows are not being cut out but they are being cut - down. The big problem is the way the DoD spends money. They POM 5 years out for the budget, they get an annual PB (presidents approved budget every year) if they don't spend it all they don't get that much next year. There is no incentive to cut budgets. Much of the budget cuts should come naturally as we drawn down from two shooting wars overseas. The problem is much of our warfighting infrustructure is old and worn out and needs updating but that takes money that we don't have. If your curious google F-22 budget and or F-35 budget to see the type of $$ we are talking aboutl

Quoting momof31995:

How about hands off the military and cut the extreme pay our idiots in government figures are getting.

This^^^ !  It is very frustrating for guys like my husband.  He saved more than $200,000 by not replacing the fleece jackets when they started putting the name tapes on them...instead he ordered in velcro and had it sewn on the existing jackets which were practically new.  That savings cost him though and it is ridiculous.

And sorry to tell you but while he didn't spend the money on the jackets, the money had to be spent so they probably went out and bought popcorn machines with the extra 200K - oh I'm on a mission now to find out where the popcorn machines are. I'm betting AAFES theaters but I could be wrong.

momtimesx4
by Silver Member on Aug. 3, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Hell yeah, bring on the popcorn machines.  Rarely see them while stateside but overseas in Kuwait, Iraq and Afghanistan, there are everywhere.  Freshly popped popcorn is the shizite. 

As far as the jackets are concerned, the entire name tape/rank situation resulted in some officer type getting butthurt because no one saluted them.  First they had to change them from nothing, to putting name/rank on them, then switching up the locations of the name/rank and then switching it from black fleece to the foliage green fleece.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Aug. 3, 2012 at 4:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting mikiemom:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting mikiemom:

Quoting momof31995:

And sorry to tell you but while he didn't spend the money on the jackets, the money had to be spent so they probably went out and bought popcorn machines with the extra 200K - oh I'm on a mission now to find out where the popcorn machines are. I'm betting AAFES theaters but I could be wrong.

LOL!  You won't find any popcorn machines in his squadron!  He has been pouring his savings into replacing some badly outdated equipment.  Savings from this year went to fund a real time remote location deployment exercise.  They practice all the time, yet rarely ever leave the base.  It was a tremendous learning experience for the troops.

But, you are right..savings often get spent on ANYTHING just so they get spent...and we know that's not right.  They should be saying hooray instead of..oh okay..so less money for you next year!

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 2:35 AM

I'm referring to the Marines band and drill team.

Quoting katy_kay08:

LOL...they fly for the angels for three to four years...if they aren't trained for anything else what are they doing the rest of their 20 year career? this is a recruiting tool...there are far better ways to boost morale such as shorter tours in comabt zones, and insuring their taining and benefits are always funded.

Quoting kailu1835:

The part I can answer is that no, there is nothing else they are trained to do.  These are primary MOS's.  So yeah, the'd then be sitting on their asses with nothing to do, or they would have to be sent back to training which is extremely expensive, so that they can be trained in another MOS. 

Quoting katy_kay08:

Do these other units cost this much to keep per year?  Would they be out of work or moved to other units?  Is there nothing else they are trained to do?  

Quoting momof31995:

I guess if they ground the blue angels then they would have to also disband the marine corps silent drill team and the presidents own marine corps marching band not to mention the army's honor guard. Wow that is alot of people in the service of our country that will be out of work they trained extremely hard for and the same as telling them that they are less in service of their country than the common grunt.

babiesbabybaby development

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 2:40 AM
1 mom liked this

The Marines stuff is what I'm talking about, not the Blue Angels.  I didn't clarify that and should have.

It can cost up to 250k to fully train and equip just one marine.  There are 12 field bands in the Marines.  Each one has around 50 marines, for a total of 600 marines who will need retraining if the bands are all disbanded (this does not include the President's Own or the Commandant's Own).  So if all the bands are disbanded, that will cost up to 150,000,000.  That hardly seems worth it.

Quoting mikiemom:

Fighter jet pilot or maintenance crew or support is their primary MOS all of these MOS's are used in combat organizations. They will not be sitting on their asses if there are no more blue angels. Now the Bands on the other hand are being cut and those folks do not have other MOSs - well in the Army and Marine corps everyone has a secondary MOS of Ground troop so they would revert to that. It would cost less to retrain these people than it takes to maintain so many of these organizations.

Quoting kailu1835:

The part I can answer is that no, there is nothing else they are trained to do.  These are primary MOS's.  So yeah, the'd then be sitting on their asses with nothing to do, or they would have to be sent back to training which is extremely expensive, so that they can be trained in another MOS. 

Quoting katy_kay08:

Do these other units cost this much to keep per year?  Would they be out of work or moved to other units?  Is there nothing else they are trained to do?  

Quoting momof31995:

I guess if they ground the blue angels then they would have to also disband the marine corps silent drill team and the presidents own marine corps marching band not to mention the army's honor guard. Wow that is alot of people in the service of our country that will be out of work they trained extremely hard for and the same as telling them that they are less in service of their country than the common grunt.

babiesbabybaby development

NutHouseMomma
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 2:45 AM

Quoting Donna6503:

Well DoD is already cutting training time for many pilots across the services. I would hope they would cut the "Blue Angels" before they start cutting the main core of training for all the services.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)