Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

I see so many people bringing up the Bible in the marriage equality debate and I have news for you.....we don't care. If your Bible/Torah/Quran or other holy book, condemns same sex couples and marriage, fine. Live by your book and enjoy. But PLEASE stop pushing for laws based upon your holy book that everyone doesn't share.

I respect your right to believe as you wish and live as you like, as long as you don't infringe on the rights of others, but you inexplicable need to legislate that belief and force others who don't follow your book, or have a different interpretation of said book, to live by it's words is wrong and we will not sit down while you force your religion on the rest of us.

No one wants to force you to approve, condone or participate in same sex marriage or make your church perform them so please, PLEASE allow us the same courtesy and stop.

Why do y'all feel the need to impose your religion on the rest of us by rule of law?

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 5:54 PM
Replies (181-190):
Friday
by HRH of MJ on Aug. 4, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Quoting toomanypoodles:

AMEN!  Preach it, sister!  ;)

Sincere or sarcasm? I'm still learning your sense of humor.

cammibear
by Gold Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 1:22 AM
What about those trying to change societal norms by legislating their morality? One is already established. One is stirring trouble because they want change in a society that is obviously not open to that change. I think it is less about religion that is personal and more about what has and hasn't been acceptable in this country since it's founding. Who's pushing what on who?
Playing devils advocate here. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Aug. 4, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Quoting cammibear:

What about those trying to change societal norms by legislating their morality? One is already established. One is stirring trouble because they want change in a society that is obviously not open to that change. I think it is less about religion that is personal and more about what has and hasn't been acceptable in this country since it's founding. Who's pushing what on who?

How do you know our founding fathers did not want  every one  to be treated equally?  ;)

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~ Maya Angelou

Friday
by HRH of MJ on Aug. 4, 2012 at 1:57 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting cammibear:

Slavery was established, women as property was established, laws against interracial marriage were established. Were the Sufragettes 'stirring trouble'?

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 2:29 AM
2 moms liked this

Mitty, I wish all Christians were as reasonable and fair minded as you are.  : )

Quoting mitty18:

Here is my take on this.
I'm a christain. I attend church of christ every week. I believe in the bible and what God teaches. That being said I think that homosexuals should be allowed to be married if they so choose. I don't have to agree or like their lifestyle but it is just that; THEIR lifestyle. It doesn't have a thing to do with me and won't change my life at all. I will be the same me no matter what rights they have. They should be afforded the same rights as heterosexuals in that they can choose what they want and who they want. It is wrong to discrimminate based on sexual orientation in the name of God. That isn't how he wanted christains to act. Haterd won't turn anyone to christ, just away from him. Let them marry; leave religon out of it. If you don't agree with it fine, don't. But stop the hating and the discrimminating against one another. Remember it wasn't that long ago that women were not allowed the freedoms that men were. We didn't like it; we fought to change it. Same with african americans. They weren't allowed the rights that whites were; thankfully that was changed. Hopefully one day this will be a past issue as well and america will move foward by awarding rightas to ALL.

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 2:36 AM

yes. and those stirring trouble. are the people who just, for whatever reason, cannot let people live thier own lives. 

trouble? how is it trouble to you what two people do, what their relationship is? this is stupid, people like you act as though you can banish homosexualty by interfering in the personal lives of others.

and you do NOT speak for "societal norms", I guarantee you mine are not the same as yours.

YOU are pushing YOUR ideas on other people, no one's making you attend gay weddings or marry a woman, but those who think like you seek to control others lives with YOUR morality.  

you have the concept of "legislating morality" turned completely backwards.  

Quoting cammibear:

cammibear
by Gold Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 3:05 AM
I'm not pushing anything on anybody. I didn't write the laws; I didn't decide what's considered normal and acceptable.

Live your life. When I see someone legislating laws that would make what you do in the privacy of your bedroom illegal, I will be backing you.

Quoting autodidact:

yes. and those stirring trouble. are the people who just, for whatever reason, cannot let people live thier own lives. 

trouble? how is it trouble to you what two people do, what their relationship is? this is stupid, people like you act as though you can banish homosexualty by interfering in the personal lives of others.

and you do NOT speak for "societal norms", I guarantee you mine are not the same as yours.

YOU are pushing YOUR ideas on other people, no one's making you attend gay weddings or marry a woman, but those who think like you seek to control others lives with YOUR morality.  

Quoting cammibear:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 3:07 AM
3 moms liked this

Quoting Friday:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

AMEN!  Preach it, sister!  ;)

Sincere or sarcasm? I'm still learning your sense of humor.

No, honey, I'm sincere.  I have learned in my years here that what I believe is not going to be the world's belief.  And that's okay.  Not everyone is going to accept the life path I have chosen and that IS okay. 

I am in full agreement with you.  It's time for the zealous Christians to back off those that do not want to hear their message.  And love them regardless. 

I love and accept my friends as they are and I don't care what religion they are, what political side they are on or if they are gay...or pot smokers.  ;)  I look at these women's hearts, their love for their kids,. their treatment towards their fellow (wo)man and don't judge their lifestyle. 

I still hold my own beliefs and convictions but I'm not going to chew someone for holding to something different than me. 

cammibear
by Gold Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 3:11 AM
Actually our Founders had much to say on sodomy. Every state had sodomy laws. They considered it indecent and unnatural, a crime. They saw a difference between freedom and license. It wasnt an issue of equality.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting cammibear:

How do you know our founding fathers did not want  every one  to be treated equally?  ;)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
autodidact
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 3:24 AM

I'm not talking about sex, I'm talking about marriage, a civil right. 

there is not a single definition for normal and acceptable, I find homosexuality to be both.  

I find it unacceptable that anyone thinks they have a right to base others' marriage right on their own religion. I find it unacceptable to characterize the fight for people's rights as "stirring trouble" 

how does anyone else's marriage effect yours? YOURS will stil be a church union of a man and woman, just like always.   

Quoting cammibear:

I'm not pushing anything on anybody. I didn't write the laws; I didn't decide what's considered normal and acceptable.

Live your life. When I see someone legislating laws that would make what you do in the privacy of your bedroom illegal, I will be backing you.

Quoting autodidact:

Quoting cammibear:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)