Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Ryan Lochte used the Olympic pool for purposes other than swimming

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 8:47 AM
  • 26 Replies

Ryan Lochte is like every other competitive swimmer who's donned a Speedo and goggles: He sometimes uses the pool as a restroom. Unlike every other competitive swimmer who's donned a Speedo and goggle, Lochte has done it on the sport's biggest stage: At the Olympics.

The 11-time Olympic medalist admitted to "Access Hollywood" that he went No. 1 in the pool in which he was later crowned No. 1 in the 400 IM.

"I did in warm-up," he told Ryan Seacrest. "I think there's just something about getting into chlorine water that you just automatically go."

[ Video: Did British cyclists cheat to win gold? ]

He stressed that he doesn't do it in competition because -- why would you go during competition? If you can't hold it for 1 minute, 52 seconds, then you have bigger problems with which to contend. So the warm-up pool is likely not where you were thinking.

Is Lochte gross for doing this? No, not at all. Using the pool in that way is as much a part of swimming as dryland, early morning practices, throwing kickboards and complaining about how cold the pool is.

[ Video: Why Olympic pins are so popular ]

Lochte isn't ashamed. Nor am I. For I, Chris Chase, am a pool goer. If we go, do we not bleed? Surely not. Hundreds of thousands of competitive swimmers have done the same. I haven't been a competitive swimmer in over a decade, but I coached for a long time after and I can safely report nothing's changed. Everyone does it. There's a name for swimmers who say they've never gone in the pool: Liars.

Why do swimmers go? Four reasons:

1. Pool bathrooms are gross. They're soaking wet all the time and you can't be entirely sure all the water has come from bodies dripping.

2. It's usually a long way from the pool to the bathroom. The air can be cold, the pool always feels colder upon getting back in and there's rarely a good time to leave the water. Your coach will get mad and it's not worth the agita.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/ryan-lochte-used-olympic-pool-purposes-other-swimming-204307621--oly.html

by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 8:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 8:58 AM
If the number of Olympic swimmers that pee in the pool is less than 100% I'll be shocked.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Whaaaaaa....O.o
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 9:11 AM
3 moms liked this
As long as its not #2 I think he's fine. Lol
Happymamax2
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 9:53 AM
Maybe too much information! Lol. Now every time I hear about him I'll think of this....
wenchmommy381
by Wenchy on Aug. 4, 2012 at 10:04 AM
1 mom liked this

I have a friend who is a long distance runner. She totally peed on herself near the end of a race. When she collapsed at the end of the race, she admitted as much to her teammates. They said, "that's okay-- we've all done it. Shows you gave it your all."

There's plenty of chemicals in the pool that would neutralize anything a body puts out. Doesn't mean I needed to know about it.

mommychelle01
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 10:06 AM
4 moms liked this

Haha, I really thought this story was going to be about something else...

StudentofLife
by Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 10:07 AM

As a kid, peeing in the pool is expected... as an adult. No. That is not and it's gross.

mommychelle01
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Quoting muslimah:

Why do swimmers go? Four reasons:

1. Pool bathrooms are gross. They're soaking wet all the time and you can't be entirely sure all the water has come from bodies dripping.

2. It's usually a long way from the pool to the bathroom. The air can be cold, the pool always feels colder upon getting back in and there's rarely a good time to leave the water. Your coach will get mad and it's not worth the agita.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/ryan-lochte-used-olympic-pool-purposes-other-swimming-204307621--oly.html

wenchmommy381
by Wenchy on Aug. 4, 2012 at 10:12 AM

I thought so too. Think of all the 'bodily fluids' a hottie like Lochte could be putting in the pool. Probably too much security when the Aquatic Center is closed, or he probably would have done that too.

Quoting mommychelle01:

Knowledge is Power

Smart Chicks (a debate forum)
      www.cafemom.com/group/smartchicks2

mommychelle01
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 10:14 AM

It definitely would have made an interesting read to find out someone got away with something like that!

Quoting wenchmommy381:

I thought so too. Think of all the 'bodily fluids' a hottie like Lochte could be putting in the pool. Probably too much security when the Aquatic Center is closed, or he probably would have done that too.

Quoting mommychelle01:

mommychelle01
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 10:16 AM

This actually does gross me out. I mean, I never thought about it before, but I'm sure they'd have to pee after awhile... but it's still gross imagining running covered in my own pee.

Quoting wenchmommy381:

I have a friend who is a long distance runner. She totally peed on herself near the end of a race. When she collapsed at the end of the race, she admitted as much to her teammates. They said, "that's okay-- we've all done it. Shows you gave it your all."

There's plenty of chemicals in the pool that would neutralize anything a body puts out. Doesn't mean I needed to know about it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN