Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Testing Does NOT Make People Better or Skilled At THINGS

Posted by   + Show Post

Um hello people, but testing or taking exams or tests does not make you experienced or skilled or better at something.

Yes I am referring to people who ignorantly think that requiring driver written and driving tests is going to change the world and make people better drivers.

by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 10:27 PM
Replies (11-20):
katy_kay08
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 11:01 PM
4 moms liked this

Are you prone to drinking and driving?  Again testing provides a baseline reading of one's competency.  There is really no way to weed out those that are going to be prone to act like a douche on the road until they are caught being a douche.   Which is why there are laws in place to deal with drivers once they show themselves to be incapable of following basic laws.  

Quoting thetrollcat:

I am a great driver in general.

I could pass the exam just fine.

But when I drink, Im a shitty driver.

How does testing me written or driving wise going to stop me from drinking and driving?

Truth, I will not take the driving test when I have been drinking, therefore I will pass the test. But yet at the same time, i will still be a hazard/danger on the road.

Again, testing people is not going to get bad drivers off the road.

Quoting katy_kay08:

tests aren't intended to make you better, they are intended to test your skills and level of competency.  

SlightlyPerfect
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2012 at 11:04 PM
1 mom liked this

So we all get shit-faced and take the test drunk in a field with cones? Sign me up!

Quoting thetrollcat:

How does testing me written or driving wise going to stop me from drinking and driving?

Truth, I will not take the driving test when I have been drinking, therefore I will pass the test. But yet at the same time, i will still be a hazard/danger on the road.

Quoting katy_kay08:

tests aren't intended to make you better, they are intended to test your skills and level of competency.  

slightlyperfect

thetrollcat
by iluv2meow on Aug. 6, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Again, I think the idea of forcing elders to be tested both written and driving is absurd, and absolutely ridiculous and a waste of money.

I don't disagree that we need to take extra steps to help face elders that are no longer able to drive but a lot of that can be better resolved if the families would step up and take responsibilities for the elders (good start right there) secondly, perhaps a medical written approval from doctors stating they feel they are still capable of driving (no signs of memory loss or alzheimer's and so forth) or perhaps, declining of health which makes them unstable. You are not going to narrow out the hazard drivers by making them take written tests and a driver exam yearly, sorry it is not going to happen that way.

Even elders have good days, bad days... There are several times I am super tired and find I am not completely aware/focused when out and about (not limited to driving).

I think it's hilarious how many of you will just jump to one person's thought and idea and just eagerly agree like lemmings.

Quoting katy_kay08:

Are you prone to drinking and driving?  Again testing provides a baseline reading of one's competency.  There is really no way to weed out those that are going to be prone to act like a douche on the road until they are caught being a douche.   Which is why there are laws in place to deal with drivers once they show themselves to be incapable of following basic laws.  

Quoting thetrollcat:

Quoting katy_kay08:

thetrollcat
by iluv2meow on Aug. 6, 2012 at 11:08 PM

LOL haha, Ill be your partner!

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

So we all get shit-faced and take the test drunk in a field with cones? Sign me up!

Quoting thetrollcat:

Quoting katy_kay08:

SlightlyPerfect
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Epic. I'll bring a pick-up truck.

Quoting thetrollcat:

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

Quoting thetrollcat:

Quoting katy_kay08:

slightlyperfect

thetrollcat
by iluv2meow on Aug. 6, 2012 at 11:14 PM

I was thinking that would be a great time to use a race car? After all they are designed to crash ;)

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

Epic. I'll bring a pick-up truck.

Quoting thetrollcat:

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

Quoting thetrollcat:

Quoting katy_kay08:

eema.gray
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 11:37 PM

How about, if you get two tickets in a 12 month period (including parking and insurance violations as well as moving violations, DUI's, etc) you have to take a full driver's ed course and retake your licensing tests?  Having to go through 8 or 16 weeks of classes and drive with an instructor for however many hours MIGHT make people think before they drink and drive.

Comunity initiatives that make it easier to turn over one's keys - we have a "we'll drive you and your car home" program and a low cost cab fares for people who have been out drinking - should be promoted more  extensively also.

Quoting thetrollcat:

Quoting katy_kay08:

"I am only one, but I am still one; I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do." ~~ Edward Everett Hale 1822-1909
funnymommy71
by Member on Aug. 6, 2012 at 11:51 PM
2 moms liked this

I live in an area that has been in the media (rough guess) 16, elderly drivers DRIVE INTO buildings in like a 5 month span!  1 killed a Mom and Dad while they and their kid were having freakin lunch.  I was personally hit by a 76 year old man who hit the gas instead of the break at OHH umm 45 MPH and destroyed my neck, 8 years ago, thank God it is fixable- $$ and years of therapy later.  He stopped driving that day.  These are verifiable elder accidents.

Do I think the young ones are better, hell no!!!!!   Texting, drinking, lack of experience etc etc.....  I am 41, completely clean license because driving is a PRIVILEDGE, not a right- I take it seriously. My Nana, stopped driving at her OWN will at 74, she was not comfortable with maybe hitting someone as glaucoma set in- wise woman. The whore politicians will not enforce re-testing 60 ish and up for fear of losing a vote.  I HATE driving, period.

Quoting thetrollcat:

Elders with short term memory loss can still be good drivers, alziehmers have good days and bad days. Testing them once a year isnt going to catch them all.

Secondly, since we seem to be focusing on elders, have you looked at the number of shitty ass drunk drivers by young people? Trust me, the elders are not nearly as much of a risk as the younger people. Id rather be faced with an elder than some drunken teen, or adult.

Quoting Whaaaaaa....O.o:

Quoting thetrollcat:

Didn't say it will eliminate. But it will Definitly out a dent in the problem. Who put a burr in your panties? What is your suggestion to make the situation better? Hmmmm? Just throw our hands in the air and allow 94 yr old people with Alzheimer's get behind the wheel?

thetrollcat
by iluv2meow on Aug. 7, 2012 at 12:01 AM

The elementary school down the street has been hit two times (driver driving into the school building) both times were young adults early 20s first one was 17-19. I think it is unfair to target elders when the facts are, young and old are equally putting others at risk for shitty poor driving. (DUI not excluded).

I agree that as we get older we do need to take more precaution with elder drivers too stubborn to give up their rights to drive. But testing them isn't going to get it done. I do stronglyu believe that medical vouches should be required, getting medical advice from doctors (primary care giver) if they dont have one they should not be permitted to drive until they get one.

Truth is, that is how we got my granny to stop driving, we had to get the doctor to step in along with the elder protective services to tell her she was not permitted to drive anymore. The driver exam she passed, why? Because she knew she was being tested, but yet she was a shitty driver otherwise.

Quoting funnymommy71:

I live in an area that has been in the media (rough guess) 16, elderly drivers DRIVE INTO buildings in like a 5 month span!  1 killed a Mom and Dad while they and their kid were having freakin lunch.  I was personally hit by a 76 year old man who hit the gas instead of the break at OHH umm 45 MPH and destroyed my neck, 8 years ago, thank God it is fixable- $$ and years of therapy later.  He stopped driving that day.  These are verifiable elder accidents.

Do I think the young ones are better, hell no!!!!!   Texting, drinking, lack of experience etc etc.....  I am 41, completely clean license because driving is a PRIVILEDGE, not a right- I take it seriously. My Nana, stopped driving at her OWN will at 74, she was not comfortable with maybe hitting someone as glaucoma set in- wise woman. The whore politicians will not enforce re-testing 60 ish and up for fear of losing a vote.  I HATE driving, period.

Quoting thetrollcat:

Elders with short term memory loss can still be good drivers, alziehmers have good days and bad days. Testing them once a year isnt going to catch them all.

Secondly, since we seem to be focusing on elders, have you looked at the number of shitty ass drunk drivers by young people? Trust me, the elders are not nearly as much of a risk as the younger people. Id rather be faced with an elder than some drunken teen, or adult.

Quoting Whaaaaaa....O.o:

Quoting thetrollcat:

Didn't say it will eliminate. But it will Definitly out a dent in the problem. Who put a burr in your panties? What is your suggestion to make the situation better? Hmmmm? Just throw our hands in the air and allow 94 yr old people with Alzheimer's get behind the wheel?

annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Quoting funnymommy71:

Quoting thetrollcat:

Quoting Whaaaaaa....O.o:

Quoting thetrollcat:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured