Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Shocking Teachers' Views on Bullying

Posted by   + Show Post

Recently I had the opportunity to discuss the subject of bullying with several teachers. I was surprised by their reaction when I brought the subject up.  All of them had the same response, they said bullying has gone on for decades, was a normal part of life, and not something which they had the power to control/stop.

I am not saying that every teacher on the planet shares their views. 

The teachers with whom I was discussing this subject were from different states and towns, which gave me the impression that their views were shared by other teachers across state/town lines.

My questions are these:

Why are (some) teachers' views on bullying so drastically different than those of the general public?

Why do they not see the danger inherent in bullying and the severe damage it does to some children?

Why do they think they are powerless to intervene when they are right there, on the front lines of the bully/victim interaction?

by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 11:00 AM
Replies (521-530):
nerdlihc3
by New Member on Aug. 12, 2012 at 2:06 AM

Have you ever asked them? 

Why do they think they are powerless to intervene when they are right there, on the front lines of the bully/victim interaction?

bakitsiya
by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 2:35 AM

My son with Aspergers has been bullied his all life and teachers claims they did not notice anything. When my son fought back he was the one who got suspension.

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Aug. 12, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Quoting nerdlihc3:

Have you ever asked them? 

I thought that was what I was doing?

kmommy1023
by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 12:31 PM
I teach third grade. I do agree with what the teachers say somewhat. Bullying has been going on for years. It seems more prevalent now because of technology and how fast we can report incidences in the media.

In my classroom and in my school, bullying is not tolerated. As soon as I find out about an incident, I immediately talk to all who are involved. There are classroom consequences and school consequences. I notify the parents of all the students who were involved. If necessary, the principal will ask to have a meeting with everyone. Even with all of that, sometimes the bullying continues. Most bullies have been bullied by someone else usually someone in the home. Parents of bullies don't always do their part with their child. If bullying is to stop all parties must work together: the bully, the bully's parents and the school. Often we refer the child and sometimes their parents to counseling. Many of our parents today, especially our younger parents, lack parenting skills or don't parent. Which means that teachers must teach manners and values along with the ABCs and 123s. Some teachers resent having to teach children social skills that should be taught at home. I do what I need to do to have a harmonious and productive classroom.And honestly, it is not as easy to stop bullying as you think.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsKish
by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 1:31 PM
It was a guy teacher, he picked on me about my attendants and sexual preferences. My mo
Spoke with him and the HP but nothing was ever done. I think it was b/c he was also head football coach.
A few years later this hit http://wesm913.org/post/board-holds-public-hearing-sussex-principal

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting MrsKish:

I was actual bullied by a teacher in high school... And droped out a few months later bc of it.

Quoting futureshock:

Recently I had the opportunity to discuss the subject of bullying with several teachers. I was surprised by their reaction when I brought the subject up.  All of them had the same response, they said bullying has gone on for decades, was a normal part of life, and not something which they had the power to control/stop.

I am not saying that every teacher on the planet shares their views. 

The teachers with whom I was discussing this subject were from different states and towns, which gave me the impression that their views were shared by other teachers across state/town lines.

My questions are these:

Why are (some) teachers' views on bullying so drastically different than those of the general public?

Why do they not see the danger inherent in bullying and the severe damage it does to some children?

That is outrageous, she should have been fired.  Did your parents confront her?  What form did her bullying take?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hipmom515
by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 1:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi Futureshock,

Boy if this isn't a GOOD TOPIC I don't know what is. I my self was bullied back in 1963 from 4th grade all the way to 10th Grade and it still mental abuse to me today. I confronted one bully a year or so ago and she said it was how her father treated her and  a friend of mine told me it was because of having a baby and she lost it. Also it is to make the Bully be popular with there popula friends I now know. My youngest daughter also got bullied from 5th Grade to 10th Grade and so did my father, son, oldest daughter and now also my Granddaughter WE ALL GOT BULLIED. So you are absolutely right the teachers need to NIP IT IN THE BUTT. For the last 5 years I have worked with Special Need Children I am a Educational Assistant so I know believe me. But it's also has to do with the parents I think with them both working and not having time for there child. I work with all Special Needs Children ages Pre K to 8th Grade. It's not easy also Arthtism Children Also that are 14 3 girls I had in a class to.

hope_love_dream
by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 2:16 PM

this

Quoting Euphoric:

That's really really sad. If I was a teacher I would do everything in my powe to help the bullied.

TristansMom92
by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Some teachers don't care, some do. I homeschooled my son, and was warned by a woman who works in the schools, who knew him when he went to public elementary school to keep homeschooling him. Needless to say I took her advice. I had also spoken to a few teachers, one of which whose wife homeschools their kids, another who quit because the bullies picked on the students as well as the teachers, and she couldn't take it anymore. The teachers who do care their hands are tied because they cannot fight these kids back. They are violent and the school boards let it continue, and some teachers just don't care, just as long as they get paid and their summer vacation. How are you supposed to combat victimization, when they are either too afraid or there's apathy? 

FromAway
by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 11:48 AM

I believe the definition of bullying has changed along w/ the severity of it.  Bullying has always happened and in a small way a part of life.  Dealing w/ a bully can help you grow, but can also crush you.  True bullying has become far more cruel.  And whether it has always happened or not schools need to do their part when it is on their grounds, and parents on both sides need to their part. 

Our son is going into a school w/ a bad reputation for bullying.  I gathered that the administration has conflicting views on how to deal w/ it and if it is actually an issue. 

We have chosen to educate our son how to deal w/ it.  If he is made fun of he is to say something like "what ever", and walk away.  If he is hit once he is to back away and in a load voice say I don't want to fight.  Hit again he has our permission to throw the kid to the ground and walk away.  If he follows this he will recieve not punishment from us if he gets in trouble w/ the school.  Bullies don't mess w/ kids that fight back. 

I have a friend that took pictures of the injuries and wrote up what happened and turned it into the administration everytime it happened. The bullying stopped for that young man. 

chazzamatazz
by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 2:19 PM

That was definitely the view that the teachers and bus drivers took when I was growing up.

Now, my kids have it really good. There are anti-bullying policies in effect at ALL my local schools. 

I think those teachers just sort of accepted it as unchangeable. They went through bullying themselves (or were the bullies - which definitely is probable if they are in a position of power. I once read an article that showed that bullies tend to go into occupations that allow them control over the lives of others - namely social services, the armed forces and police forces. I know not everyone who goes into these fields have that mentality, but the statistics in that article were pretty scary.) People just accepted things and didn't bother to change it because that was just the way things were. 

Thank goodness not everyone was like that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN